O/T dvd & vcr recorder combos

karrokid

freelance jackass
Feb 12, 2005
nashville
does anybody own one of these that is not a piece of crap ?

if you do what brand is it ? i bought one to transfer some old videos (i mean old) to dvd . the first one went fine and then as i worked on archiving some rollins band things i had recorded off t.v. hundreds of years ago, i ran into the same problem many i find are having. the copyright protection code the player thinks it's reading keeps shutting the recording off. i would find it absoultly amazing if the dennis miller show i have recorded from 15 years ago was broadcast with a copywrite encription. even a home movie of my old band got shut off during recording. i've heard that the video signal might need to be stabilized because the tapes are so old, i've also heard the technology for these combo players just plain sucks right now. the only thing it recorded was a transfer of the movie "let there be rock" which was copywritten. i also bought a video program for my pc but after playing with that i realise i have no where near the ram or resources on board to burn my projscts to dvd.

anybody have any thoughts or suggestions ?

mine went back to best buy where they didn't want to give me a refund till i raised ten tons of hell (which is a first for me , as i never returned anything in my life to customer service)

thanks for any help

I own this one... Amazon.co.uk: Philips DVDR75 DVD Recorder: Electronics & Photo

Connected to my VCR with A/V cables it's burned every video I've tried
(Store bought or otherwise)

does anybody own one of these that is not a piece of crap ?

if you do what brand is it ? i bought one to transfer some old videos (i mean old) to dvd . the first one went fine and then as i worked on archiving some rollins band things i had recorded off t.v. hundreds of years ago, i ran into the same problem many i find are having. the copyright protection code the player thinks it's reading keeps shutting the recording off. i would find it absoultly amazing if the dennis miller show i have recorded from 15 years ago was broadcast with a copywrite encription. even a home movie of my old band got shut off during recording. i've heard that the video signal might need to be stabilized because the tapes are so old, i've also heard the technology for these combo players just plain sucks right now. the only thing it recorded was a transfer of the movie "let there be rock" which was copywritten. i also bought a video program for my pc but after playing with that i realise i have no where near the ram or resources on board to burn my projscts to dvd.

anybody have any thoughts or suggestions ?

mine went back to best buy where they didn't want to give me a refund till i raised ten tons of hell (which is a first for me , as i never returned anything in my life to customer service)

thanks for any help

sorry to hear about your problem with the dvd and vcr recorder combo..I bought one myself in which is a samsung...I heard they were good..i've tried it and so far no-problems...I know that the samsung directv recievers were no-good..they kept over heating and freezing up..when i used to work for directv I used to get a lot of complaints over the phone from customers that their samsung receivers were crap....

I own this one... Amazon.co.uk: Philips DVDR75 DVD Recorder: Electronics & Photo

Connected to my VCR with A/V cables it's burned every video I've tried
(Store bought or otherwise)

thanks i checked that link out and bought that model off ebay today. i hear the problems are with the most recent models that are coming out because they for sure have the copywrite stuff on them and they also are misreading things that actually don't have copywrite protection.

also i took a chance and bought a model without doing any research on it (which is rare for me) and i got burned with a piece of shit player.

I've had similar probems with transferring old CD's to I-tunes. I doubt a Metallica CD I bought 15 years ago would be encrypted with copyright protection. Wait a second, this is a Metallica we're talking about.

No, wait, I had problems burning my old Led Zep CD's but some of them work and I can't remember which ones I bought years ago and which ones I've a year or two ago to replace scratched up ones. I wouldn't even bitch so much if I-tunes carried old Led Zep. Maybe they do now.

I think you'll like it!! I picked it up so I could put alot of the vhs concerts I bought from back in the day onto dvd and I haven't had one not write yet..A quick few of the ones I converted were...Ozzy - Don't Blame Me, Suicidal - Lights, Camera, Suicidal, Napalm Death - Live Corruption, Dice - Dice Rules. They all had the FBI Warning at the beginning and all work beautifully!!

If you have any problems with it PM me...I read the manual cover to cover and have a pretty good understanding of how the unit functions.

Good luck with it..:)

thanks i checked that link out and bought that model off ebay today. i hear the problems are with the most recent models that are coming out because they for sure have the copywrite stuff on them and they also are misreading things that actually don't have copywrite protection.

also i took a chance and bought a model without doing any research on it (which is rare for me) and i got burned with a piece of shit player.

thanks for the help. i look forward to sitting back and watching some old concerts while i burn some dvds :headbang:

Well what if I want to buy a dvd burner for the laptop I intend to purchase. I still wants its main fucntion to transfer old tapes to dvd. Any suggestions???

just got my dvd recorder i bought on ebay and thought i'd share a picture of it with you

i'm on vacation next week and was looking forward to transfering some old vcr tapes to dvd during some of that time. i guess i'll see how the guy handles this return but, shit just aint been going my way latley. seems like a lot of little piddely things been going wrong and, i'm just tierd of it. :mad: