O/T Iron Maiden Death on the Road

Drokk

Scavenger of Human Sorrow
Apr 28, 2005
Peklo
You Maiden freaks probably already have this, but I've just heard disc 1 of Maiden's new live record, Death on the Road, from November 2003 of the Dance of Death tour.

My first impression was that the guitars are fucking thick! Well, 3 guitarists. Davey on the left, Adrian the middle, Jan the right. Nicko sounds fucking great. You drummers, (Johnnie, I'm looking in your direction), I'd love to know what y'all think of Kevin Shirley's production here; I rather like the drum sound. Doesn't sound like the drummer is hitting a pillow, like most studio productions nowadays. Steve Harris recently said that Shirley in the studio had finally captured their live sound, and after hearing this, I would agree. However, as usual, it's mastered TOO FUCKING LOUD! I noticed a lot of clipping. No fault of Shirley's.

Anyway, the band sounds and plays spectacularly, of course; after 25 years, they should. Bruce is probably the weakest, but not as bad as some of the tracks on Live After Death that were recorded at the end of that tour. He doesn't have the range he used to, but he does alright. I was really impressed with the band's performance on The Trooper; Adrian and Jan doubled up on Adrian's solo, and listen for Nicko's double kick in the solo break.

In the end, 2 discs, AGAIN back catalog classics, with sprinklings of Dance of Death. Seems superfluous, to me. Nice to have live recordings of Iron Maiden ca. 2003, but still a bit redundant. However, a fucking solid performance, so not a waste of money.

Up the Irons, Rivetheads!

Edit: Nicko doesn't double-kick, but plays that type of pattern with one foot. "Out of the Silent Planet", for example. It was cool to hear that in The Trooper.

I ordered the Death On The Road DVD but I think the release date got pushed back.Damn I cant wait to watch it now,sounds like it's gonna be killer.Might have to get get the cd's to hold me over lol.

jdelpi said:
NO! Release more! I'll get them all except the early 90s stuff!

Yep, The Donnington 92 show wasnt the best but i liked the Rock In Rio show from the BNW tour. Maiden England is still my fave live perfomance that they have released...*waiting for the dvd release of that*

Speaking of early 90's..is the Raising Hell dvd worth getting because ive never seen it.

Being a maiden fan for about 20yrs and I am only 30 the raising hell dvd is pretty cool the sound production could have been better but yet it's worth the watch. What balances out; besides that maiden live performances is pretty theatrical, shit is that simon drake guy. He's pretty amazing to watch an illusionest almost at his best especially on that one part when he cuts dave murray's hands and uses them to finish from here to eternity song on stage with maiden. Pretty cool..