O/T...James, do you remember this?

STINNETT

Bad / Nationwide
Dec 12, 2005
USA
www.stinnettguitars.com
I found this magazine boxed up in my garage yesterday. Guitar For the Practicing Musician presents "Speed Demons of Metal". from late '93 :kickass: This is the very issue that got me started playing "death metal" guitar! Before that I just wanted to play Metallica...haha. Finding this brought back some great memories. Anyway, there is a nice article on Mr. Murphy in it, and I thought it would be cool to post some pics.

cover.jpg

page-1.jpg

page-2.jpg

Now that's a real goddamn music mag.

Kind of funny that James' interview is headlined with 'not a whammy bar kind of guy' as all the solos I've heard by him, he's used the whammy bar as a vibrato replacement pretty frequently, hehe.

Cheers for posting that man.

Moonlapse said:
Now that's a real goddamn music mag.

Kind of funny that James' interview is headlined with 'not a whammy bar kind of guy' as all the solos I've heard by him, he's used the whammy bar as a vibrato replacement pretty frequently, hehe.

Cheers for posting that man.

They got that quote when he was talking about his style compared to someone like Allen West from Obituary. Where alot of his solos were just open harmonics and finagling the wammy bar, and James was so melodic.
Good stuff!

I had that magazine too! Goddamn that birngs back memories.

I cut that pic of Mr James fuckin' Murphy out and put it on my folder. That pic accompanied me throughout my time a highschool.

Those were the days.... Man I feel old.

Deus.exe said:
I had that magazine too! Goddamn that birngs back memories.

I cut that pic of Mr James fuckin' Murphy out and put it on my folder. That pic accompanied me throughout my time a highschool.

Those were the days.... Man I feel old.

Haha, I was a senior in high school myself at the time.
It cracks me up to look at the articles and ads from that era.

Metalhead28 said:
It cracks me up to look at the articles and ads from that era.

yeah like those "Metal Method" instructional courses. I'm sure those guys are awesome musicians but the hair and outfits were fucking rediculous! I bet Jim Gillette had a his own personal hole in the Ozone layer every time he'd do his hair!

Deus.exe said:
yeah like those "Metal Method" instructional courses. I'm sure those guys are awesome musicians but the hair and outfits were fucking rediculous! I bet Jim Gillette had a his own personal hole in the Ozone layer every time he'd do his hair!

hahaha...

JimGilletteStuds.jpg

Andy Sneap said:
wow, says he's training with the Gracies now. Bet no one takes the piss out of him about his old pics.

Are you a MMA fan Andy? UFC anyone?

Lopes said:
I hope that Gracie submits Hughes and makes him cry, for some reason I just don't like Matt Hughes.

You can hope all you want but it just is not going to happen. Besides what is not to like about Hughes? And for that matter what is to like about Gracie?

chadsxe said:
You can hope all you want but it just is not going to happen. Besides what is not to like about Hughes? And for that matter what is to like about Gracie?
I don't like either one, they both come off as overly arrogant and I like to see people like that get taken down a notch, I just like Hughes a lot less. I know Gracie probably won't win, but I would get a certain amount of joy out of seeing "the best fighter in UFC" get beat by an old man.