O/T Megadeth

AlexStomp

Feb 7, 2002
DC area
Visit site
Man.. The Big Four were productive from the mid eighties to 1990. How many awesome albums did they put out in that time period? Megadeth for one put out PSBWB, SFSGSW, and RIP. Three albums that I thoroughly enjoy without ever feeling the slightest inkling to hit the skip button. So 2011 marks the 25th anniversary of Peace Sells. I know some people here really don't like nostalgia acts. I've already seen Megadeth perform Rust in Peace in its entirety. Yet I wouldn't mind Peace Sells getting the same treatment this year.

not a big fan of 'Peace sells', i prefer KIMB and RIP. will see Megadeth & Slayer in april, fuck yeah! last time i saw Slayer was in '02, Megadeth fortunately last year.

Although I do like Megadeth, I think they only ever did one truly classic album, RIP. And even that, I have no interest in Megadeth doing it live without Marty Friedman.
Peace Sells without Chris Poland? Nah.

I'm a big Megadeth fan and agree - A Peace Sells complete set would be awesome.

Although I do like Megadeth, I think they only ever did one truly classic album, RIP. And even that, I have no interest in Megadeth doing it live without Marty Friedman.
Peace Sells without Chris Poland? Nah.

The guy they got now, Chris Broderick, does a fantastic job of emulating past Megadeth solo guitarists.

Mustaine said in a recent interview that he is interested in playing Peace Sells live. Just not a whole tour like Rust In Peace, more like a couple of special shows. Propably close to the end of the year.

And I love Megadeth!

The guy they got now, Chris Broderick, does a fantastic job of emulating past Megadeth solo guitarists.

That's as may be, but his own solos (as heard on Endgame) suck - widdly widdly widdly bleep bleep bleep, sweep picking pish.
I wouldn't go to see RIP live unless Marty was playing. I might go to see Peace Sells live, even if Poland wasn't there. But Marty would have to be! :D

I just don't like Broderick's playing.

First 4 albums are fucking gold.

I was watching some metal show on vh-1 recently and they polled the audience and panel as to who's more "thrash", Hammett(sp?) or Mustaine. Joe Satriani led it off with Hammett and everyone on the panel except one guy and most of the audience followed suit. Satch basically went on about how technically better Hammett is. Horse shit if you ask me. Mustaine is a genius as far as songwriting and surrounding himself with well versed players.

Mustaine said in a recent interview that he is interested in playing Peace Sells live. Just not a whole tour like Rust In Peace, more like a couple of special shows. Propably close to the end of the year.

I'd be there. Though SFSGSW is my favorite Megadeth album (probably just because it was the one that was new when I got into them).

Mustaine's voice is shot now, his songwriting skills are questionable these days. But you can't deny the magic he did with the first four albums. He's smart. He wasn't destined to be a vocalist, yet he pulled it off. He surrounded himself with jazz fusion musicians. Wrote great music with great lyrics and phrasing. Shredded even though he was supposed to be rhythm guitarist.

He should have done a better job as a teacher I have to say :lol:
Mustaine's technically a LOT better than Kirk.

I have to disagree. Although Kirk may not have the chops he used to have, his solos are technically more difficult than Mustaines.
Whether they SOUND better is totally subjective, but to actually nail that stuff, never mind write it, Kirk's solos are superior.

Mustaine is overall the best metal guitarist in the world today. I don't know what Joe was on...

Having seen both Kirk & Mustaine live I got to agree with the above statement.

Mustaine is a fucking amazing guitarist on stage Not denying Kirk's ability either.

I've only seen two guitarists who were better than Mustaine in concert but not really classed as Metal as such - Vai & Satriani on the G3 concert a few years ago in Melbourne (even got to meet Satch backstage - such a humble, genuine and nice person).

Mustaine is overall the best metal guitarist in the world today. I don't know what Joe was on...

I agree Mustaine is a better guitarist than Kirk, but the best in the world? I wouldn't say so.
Then again, I don't know who IS the best metal guitarist just now. I don't listen to much standard metal nowadays, so my favourites of recent times would be guys like Ralph Santolla in Deicide or the Nile guys.