O/T New Megadeth

I've actually listened to this record 7-8 times in full, and I gotta say, I like it. It's a lot more cohesive than 13, and while its certainly no PS or RIP or CTE, it's a solid record. Nowhere near as bad as so many are saying, but that's just my opinion.

Different styles, Lomenzo is not really a metal bassist.

It's not Junior's fault Mustaine has ran out of ideas and tries to capture past highs by trying to write hit songs.

I saw them live with Lomenzo on the Endgame tour, and I saw them live several times since Ellefson came back, and honestly, they were better sounding live with Lomenzo. He had better tone, it all sounded fuller, he had better stage presence, and better backing vocals. Ellefson is the original and in many ways I'm glad he's back, but there's no denying that Lomenzo is the better player, and honestly, in this decade, a better fit for Megadeth, as crazy as that sounds.

I saw them live with Lomenzo on the Endgame tour, and I saw them live several times since Ellefson came back, and honestly, they were better sounding live with Lomenzo. He had better tone, it all sounded fuller, he had better stage presence, and better backing vocals. Ellefson is the original and in many ways I'm glad he's back, but there's no denying that Lomenzo is the better player, and honestly, in this decade, a better fit for Megadeth, as crazy as that sounds.

I agree, unfortunately missed them on UA tour in Cz, with Lomenzo on bass. I do regret this.

I got my copy and don't mind it at all.

This is not the same as Metallica releasing St Anger !!!! - for one thing, you can listen to this album.

While it is not Rust in Piece I still enjoy it. Megadeth have never been stricly thrash - just listen to their live set on the Big 4 DVD. I think some of the critics have slamed Collider a little unfairly, what they have done on this album, I think they have done well ... I am still a big Megadeth fan.

I saw them too and I agree with most of what you're saying. The bolded part I disagree with, but only when talking about Megadeth. Junior belongs in there and the stage seems empty without him.

I actually gave it a spin or too. Can't be totally ignorant. Gotta check it out at least. It's not bad. It's good at times. Not classic Megadeth. That's for damn sure. The solos are a bit wimpy, almost trying to be Friedman-like. After two listens, I can't recall a single song or melody. That's not necessarily a bad thing though.

Testament proved that you can release an all out guitar laden thrash album in modern times and do well. You can argue that this latest Megadeth LP is just another Mustaine solo project with the Megadeth stamp on it. But really....hasn't all their LP's been this since the inception of the band??

I saw them too and I agree with most of what you're saying. The bolded part I disagree with, but only when talking about Megadeth. Junior belongs in there and the stage seems empty without him.

I agree. They've always been my favorite band and it wasn't right without Ellefson. But James was headbanging and was all over the stage on the Endgame tour, it definitely gave the stage some movement that it usually lacks with Megadeth.

I agree. They've always been my favorite band and it wasn't right without Ellefson. But James was headbanging and was all over the stage on the Endgame tour, it definitely gave the stage some movement that it usually lacks with Megadeth.

Very true. The problem I had with James in the band was more about how Mustaine pushes every member to fit his idea of "cool" and how they should look. He has a right to do so, but when James started playing with a "normal" strat-shaped bass, I just went man...it's almost like he lost half of his identity without that crazy bass guitar.

Anyway, I heard their cover of Thin Lizzy's Cold Sweat and I wasn't impressed by their performance. Robotic, slow and no soul.

Heard the album half way...can't continue, for now.
I love Youthanasia, CWritings and Risk. But this one, i just cant pin it down. After the first 2 songs, it just a load of sound & snarls. Need to try & force myself to listen to it again.