O/T New Megadeth

johnnieCzech

Your favourite Czech
Feb 5, 2002
Prague
and yet another legend is releasing an album these days. I'm already listening to it for the first time and it sounds good, hope it will grow after a few more listens.
It sounds less "thrashy" than, let's say, Thirteen: the title song Super Collider is what you might call a "hard rock" song.

I've heard mixed reviews on this album. I'll give it a fair shot when it's released. It's got to be better than Risk.

Another big year for metal releases. Megadeth, Alice In Chains, Black Sabbath, Rob Zombie...

Listened to this record today in full. It's not the complete turd that lots are saying, but it is run of the mill Deth by numbers on first listen. Very little blistering thrash (any?) to be found.

I'm not giving it a chance. No point. I hate current Megadeth even with Ellefson back. I used to love Megadeth. Admittedly, I hadn't kept up with them over the years until they did the Rust In Peace tour back in 2010. The show was killer, Mustaine sounded good. Endgame wasn't such a bad LP. In the few times I've seen 'deth since, they've sucked. Poor weak mix and Mustaine's vocals are just shot. And Endgame is not really memorable. And then there's Mustaine's paranoid rants on stage and on Alex Jones show about political issues claiming this is the end etc etc. yawn. Musicians should just shut the fuck up about politics, especially onstage. Talk about thrash, the weather, pussy, whatever. Just shut the fuck up about propaganda, all you're doing is alienating some(not all) of your fan base. I already have my own political views and opinions.

And then there's Mustaine's paranoid rants on stage and on Alex Jones show about political issues claiming this is the end etc etc. yawn. Musicians should just shut the fuck up about politics, especially onstage. Talk about thrash, the weather, pussy, whatever. Just shut the fuck up about propaganda, all you're doing is alienating some(not all) of your fan base. I already have my own political views and opinions.

I agree, but I try not to let a musicians personal beliefs get in the way of enjoying their music. Some of them like Mustaine and Nugent, make it difficult. I'm just there for the music.

That being said, I can totally understand why someone like yourself would walk away from them.

With Junior being on board for this album, seems they got a hell of a lot weaker. The title track is laughable. I really dont know what else to say other than I am highly disappointed in this album.

Chris Broderick might be a good guitarist but the combo of him and Musitaine for some reason doesn't know how to make good songs. They may be technically sound, use some lame scales and other dorky stuff but the songs themselves are mediocre and not memorable.

I am not sure how this band ever got and stayed popular. After RIP everything has been spotty.

The past 3 albums or so have a few decent songs here and there but overall nothing mind blowing

Goes to show that you can be a ripping musician but if you can't write good songs it doesn't mean jack shit

I am not sure how this band ever got and stayed popular. After RIP everything has been spotty.

I think you kind of answered your own question here. Everything before and including RIP was good solid thrash and that's what made them popular.

With Junior being on board for this album, seems they got a hell of a lot weaker.

Junior is like a cardboard cutout...that guy is there just because he was once in the band..Mustaine need him back to ensure the name MEGADETH is still acceptable, for me Mustaine dont have to do that. As long as he can spurt out good stuffs like the ones he did in SYSTEM HAS FAILED or maintained the standards like 13..i'm happy.

James Lomenzo > Ellefson

Band went to shit once Dave kicked out Lomenzo to bring back Ellefson

Junior is like a cardboard cutout...that guy is there just because he was once in the band..Mustaine need him back to ensure the name MEGADETH is still acceptable, for me Mustaine dont have to do that. As long as he can spurt out good stuffs like the ones he did in SYSTEM HAS FAILED or maintained the standards like 13..i'm happy.

The World Needs a Hero was a good album too.

James Lomenzo > Ellefson

Band went to shit once Dave kicked out Lomenzo to bring back Ellefson

That's very true. Lomenzo is one of the best bass guitarists out there, while Ellefson is, and has always been, a mediocre player at his best.