O/T - recommendations for a good starting guitar

IAN442

Dec 6, 2005
Hey guys, I have a co-worker that wants to get her kid a Guitar, i know we have players here. This is for a young kid just starting out. Any resonable suggestions are greatly appreciated.

TIA,

IAN442

If he's young get him a cheap acoustic. Same concept as first car. Something difficult to play/drive. It would teach him to apprectiate something finer and stengthen finger dexterity.

u cant really go to wrong with a cheapo electric or acoustic to start with dont really matter what brand,then after 6 months look at getting a better guitar.

That's a good idea. I was thinking of getting my 4 year old a guitar this year as well. What about drums? Are those crappy kid drum sets worth it or try and get something a little better?

I have been following guitar magazines for years and years and the one "entry level" electric guitar that always, always gets positive reviews is the Yamaha Pacifica.

They have continued the model with very little in the way of changes for a long time now, which in itself speaks volumes.

Save money and buy a small, cheap practice amplifier, get a guitar tuner too - being able to just tune the damn thing in the first place will make a big difference to how quickly they start to sound good! -and a nice easy book with the basic chords explained and that's as good a start as anyone can hope for. Try not to get bogged down with effects pedals and other distractions until they have the basics down.

The Squier series, by Fender, is basically cheaper versions of their most famous guitars and can be a very good alternative too, although there's quite a range and the price and quality varies.

Hope that helps.

If possible check with your local pawnshops. I'm always on board for finding a good used guitar. Generally you can get a much better quality guitar in the used market for the same price as the new cheap Chinese imported guitars.

That's a good idea. I was thinking of getting my 4 year old a guitar this year as well. What about drums? Are those crappy kid drum sets worth it or try and get something a little better?

Anything they can bang on is a good idea. If your child gets enough usage and enjoyment out of the small, crappy set, you can graduate to a very good (in my opinion) entry-level Tama or Pearl for a fairly reasonable price when the old set is outgrown.