O/t Why did Max leave Sepultura?

Jockthrax

Mar 9, 2002
Glasgow
www.anthrax.com
I just bought "Under a pale grey Sky" a live thingy by the once mighty Sepultura and I was just wondering, why did Max leave em? I was never a huge fan but i liked Arise and thought that "Chaos AD" and "Roots" were pretty damn good but i never got why the man behind much of it left...

Yeah. It sucks that they sorta kicked Max out (according to Max).
Even his own brother! But, who knows the whole story. I've only heard Max's side of the story.
Max's side of the story was on some website a few years ago.

I was at the Donnington gig where Max left to due to the death of Dana and a lot of people said the trouble started from there.

Seps played that day with help from Biohazard, Machine Head and Fear Factory (I think) which was pretty special but not having Max there ruined the whole weekend.

Just imagine how HUGE they would have been...........

I don't think Max was kicked out of the band, he simply left.

The turmoil in the band did kind of escalate with the death of Dana, but there was already some animosity in place within the band even before then. I think Paulo, Igor, and Andreas were becoming rather upset with the way Gloria was running the band and promoting the band, especially since the release of Roots. Namely the way a lot of photoshoots and interviews with metal magazines would focus entirely on Max, and ignore the rest of the band. Roots was a massive hit in 1996, and many articles you would read about Sepultura at the time seemed to credit Max with coming up with the idea of releasing an album like Roots. The rest of the band felt left out, and blamed Gloria for this. Since their contract with Gloria was running out soon, Paulo, Andreas, and Igor decided that they would try and confront Max with the idea of simply not renewing the contract with her, and finding new management. They confronted Max about it a couple of months after Dana's death, and the suggestion that Max also fire his wife after both of them had suffered so much, was viewed as a huge betrayal by the rest of the band. Thus, Max left Sepultura, and formed Soulfly.

Really a pretty fascinating story. I read somewhere that VH1 was thinking about doing a Behind the Music on Speultura, centering around Max's departure from the band, but that never materialized, unfortunately. You could defend either side, but I can see why this would be a tough decision for Max. Choosing between his wife and the band was a rather tough situation to be put in.

Originally posted by SLAYER85
who is soulflys current drummer, i was at a show, and i dont know what he looks like, but i think it was igor cause everyoen was like igor igor igor
It definitely ain't Igor! The old Soulfly drummer from the first album, Roy Mayorga, is back again. He's a great drummer, saw 'em live on Dynamo this year.

To Slayer85: Roy "Rata" Mayorga is Soulfly current drummer, and cos I've seen both bands live a few times, I can tell you this guy blows Igor away, but besides that, Sepultura with that black Predator rainforrest guy is far better!
Anyway, Max left Sepultura due to his Yoko Ono wife.

I can add a little to Deadguy35's post above. Apparently the other three in Sepultura gave Max a letter after the London show (Brixton Acad.?) on Dec 16th that stated they were not having Gloria as their manager anymore which effectively ended the original line-up as far as Max was concerned. Can't remeber where I read this but it just came back to me.

The London gig was three days after the Barras and after Donington it was so cool to see him with Sepultura. Seen Soulfly's first and so far only Glasgow show and Seps w. Derrick both rockin good gigs too.

Originally posted by prime666
keep the predator lookin guy and bring back max. Split the vocals. Do a huge tour ( arenas) Anthrax, Sepultura, Slayer or Ministry.

This is NOT a bad idea!