O'Brien fired from Nevermore?

Melisan

Nov 13, 2002
Visit site
This is interesting. I always thought Pat left Nevermore to play a death metal style but he says here he was fired. I even read an interview with Jeff saying as much. So what's the story behind his firing?

http://rue-morgue.com/2012/02/cannibal-corpse-refuse-to-die/

I got an invitation to play with Nevermore, so I went up there and jammed with them for two years. My brother and some other friends of mine all moved out to the Los Angeles area. Anyway, I got kicked out of Nevermore and thought, “Ah, fuck, what am I going to do?” Well, I was not going to go back to Kentucky. I thought, “I’m just going to drive down the coast and go to LA, go to ‘Baywatch’ for a while.” You know, party, drink and chase women.

I went down there and had a great time, but I wasn’t really focusing on music. The whole thing with Nevermore left kind of a bitter taste in my mouth and I was just living there day by day with no direction. This girl I knew who was into metal, who I’d met through Nevermore because she’d come up to Seattle, wound up hooking me up with Monstrosity because they needed a guitar player. I basically just did that out of principle. I was not playing the guitar as I should have been playing it. I wasn’t practicing; I needed to get into something that would force me to do that.

Except Death was a revolving door of guitarists, bassists and drummers as Chuck drove one out after another. With Nevermore it was that second guitar position they could never fill (Pat, Tim, Curran, Steve, Chris). It's like Testament with their drummers.