hell
Genre(s)
Heavy / Groove Metal
Lyrical theme(s)
Politics, human philosophy, human issues
Origin Formed in Current label Status
United States of America (Seattle, Washington) 1992 Century Media Active
Current line-up
Warrel Dane - Vocals (Sanctuary, Serpent's Knight)
Jeff Loomis - Guitars (ex-Experiment Fear, ex-Sanctuary)
Jim Sheppard - Bass (Sanctuary, ex-Alice in Chains)
Van Williams - Drums (Pure Sweet Hell)
Steve Smyth - Guitar (ex-Vicious Rumors, Dragonlord, ex-Testament)
Former/past member(s)
Pat O'Brien - guitars (Cannibal Corpse, Ceremony (US), Chastain, Monstrosity (US))
Tim Calvert - guitars (Forbidden)
Additional notes
Nevermore was formed after Dane and Sheppard's previous band, Sanctuary, bit the dust. Curran Murphy (Annihilator), Steve Smyth (Testament), and Chris Broderick (Jag Panzer) have filled in the second guitarist spot for various Nevermore tours in the past.

Jeff Loomis tried out for Megadeth after Chris Poland was fired in 1987.

Not to be confused with the lesser known Heavy Metal band from NYC with the same name.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Discography

Demo '92 Demo, 1992
1994 demo Demo, 1994
Nevermore Full-length, 1995 [5 reviews, average 82%]
In Memory EP, 1996 [5 reviews, average 87%]
The Politics of Ecstasy Full-length, 1996 [5 reviews, average 93%]
Dreaming Neon Black Full-length, 1999 [11 reviews, average 97%]
Dead Heart in a Dead World Full-length, 2000 [16 reviews, average 84%]
Believe in Nothing EP, 2000
Enemies of Reality Full-length, 2003 [7 reviews, average 71%]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links

Fan site
Rich Morgan's Nevermore Site
Nevermore Forevermore
Nevermore Underground Site
A Nevermore Page
Nevermore at Nolifetilmetal
Nevermore@BNR Metal Pages

Official
Nevermore Official Forum
Official Nevermore Website
Nevermore at Centurymedia.com

Merchandise
Nevermore at Masters of metal

Tablatures
Neone Dreams Tablatures
Nevermore Tabs @ metaltabs.com
Nevermore Tabs @ ultimate-guitar.com
Nevermore Tabs @ all-good-tabs.com
Nevermore Tabs @ mxtabs.net
Guitar Pro Tabs

Good, but could've been a lot better - 68%
Written by ultramotion on October 6th, 2004

It seems that Nevermore's debut is completely forgotten by many Nevermore fans, because it doesn't sound much like their later albums and is sort of viewed as a black sheep. Generally, Nevermore is mostly known for much-beloved 'Dead Heart In A Dead World' (an extremely overrated album) and 'Politics Of Ecstacy'.

This debut album is good logical follow-up to 'Into The Mirror Black' and Warrel still uses his high vocals and shrieks in different places, but his modern vocal style already begins to shine through. However, it's not that bad
as on the later albums and he actually sounds decent on 90% of the album. It could've been much better, if this debut was released in 1992 or 1993 when
Warrel could still sing on key. The proof can be heard on 1992 Demo and
Nevermore's first show in Seattle in 1992, which I happened to find and
download in its entire bootleg form on Soulseek.

Anyway, the majority of the songs here tend to follow the slow direction of
'Into The Mirror Black' songs like 'The Mirror Black' and 'Communion'. The
highlight among them is definitely 'Garden Of Grey' with good female back-up
vocals, which add a lot to the song and 'The Sanity Assassin' is good too. It's
the first Nevermore ballad, which moves along at an efficient pace and generally comes off much better, unlike ballads 'Heart Collector' and 'Believe
In Nothing' on DHIADW.

There are also 2 uptempo songs: 'C.B.F.' (Chrome Black Future) and 'Godmoney', which are good modernized metal songs with an average vocal performance, but nothing really stands out.

And finally we have a thrashy song 'Sea Of Possibilities'. This is actually a
good attempt for Nevermore at writing thrashy song. It has some nice riffs and is possible to headbang to. But the only thing that is a downside to this song, is the somewhat annoying vocal approach.

There is a smaller percentage of people, who believe that Nevermore would sound much better if they got a better vocalist. I tend to agree with that.
For example, Russ Anderson of Forbidden fame could've been a really great
candidate. And Nevermore actually could've succeeded at modernizing if they replaced Warrel with Russ. For proof, just listen to 'Hypnotized By The Rhythm' from Forbidden's Distortion album.

In Sanctuary, Warrel had a great voice. But as the times went by, he eventually decided to change his vocal style completely on 'Politics Of Ecstacy'. In result, his modern vocal style is very annoying for most part, because of the terrible vocal delivery that at times can be compared to mallcore vocalists like Jonathan Davis from Korn. I always keep hearing about how he is such a phenomenal vocalist in Nevermore, but I just can't understand why. He tries so damn hard to sound like an emotional and tortured man, but ends up falling so utterly short. Mike Howe on 'Hanging In The Balance' he is so NOT!

In short, if you're one of those people who likes the music of pre-DHIADW
Nevermore but not the Warrel's vocals, then gives this one a listen and
moreover, check out 1992 Demo and the first Seattle 1992 Show.

Power metal Nevermore - 85%
Written by StygianSteel on September 18th, 2003

Overview - Strong shades of Sanctuary are shown on this, Nevermore's first release, and they still plant themselves firmly in the category of power metal. This does have a thicker sound than Sanctuary though and it makes the songs pack a bit more of a punch. Not as ripping and thrashing as Nevermore will become at times in the future, but a nice plodding metal ride. The exception to this rule may be Sea Of Possibilities which points in a direction yet to come.'

The Good News - More solid progression in the sound of the band as it becomes thicker and more punishing. This album comes off as considerably 'heavier' than Into The Mirror Black and the band benefits from this. Warrel is also becoming more comfortable with his style and really lets the emotion flow from his sweet and sour, almost tortured voice. Garden Of Gray is an early Nevermore staple and features a great bass chug feel with an incredibly catchy chorus. The Nevermore ballad is also born here with The Sanity Assassin showing the band's capability in that arena.

The Bad News - I find it hard to say a bad word about Nevermore. All I can say here is that there is more intensity and ripping axe work yet to come. This is probably a little more 'simple' than some of their later works, but enjoyable none the less.

No one see's what tomorrow knows! - 87%
Written by Demon_of_the_Fall on June 13th, 2003

This is what got the beast unleashed, thats right Nevermore was spawned from the ashes of Sanctuary (Warrels and Jims band). This is a very underated album indeed and is often never mentioned or forgot about completely by their own die hard fans. I personally love every moment of this outstanding album. How can you go wrong with this? It's fucking Nevermore, you all need this release, it's got some of the best songs on here, as well as some genious musicianship by the band. This is what paved the way for what was to come from of Nevermore. From What Tomorrow Know to Godmoney, every track is excellent with cool diverse changes. Although Nevermore has never had a weak release i would recommened new listeners to find Dead Heart or Dreaming Neon Black first as it is easier to get into. Not to say this album isnt catchy or highly enjoyable, on the contrare, this album is full of awesome groves, breakdown and guitar lead breaks. I absolutally love Warrels shrieks on this album which he seems to lack in some of their later works, although he still does it occasionally. The drum work is very tight and clean as well, the guitar work is far above most guitar players these days, also the bass is very groovy and thick. I have not one complaint about this release or anything else that Nevermore has done to be honest. Nevermore seems to do no wrong. What Tomorrow Knows was the first song i heard off this album and it is very infectious thanks to the powerful bass/guitar/drum groove going as, as well as the memorable vocals by Warrel. C.B.F is a faster paced song that should be loved by any true metal head. The Sanity Assassin is almost a ballad of sorts but it is so much more. I can go on an on about this release but, just trust what i say and do yourself a favor and grab this release by one of the best bands of all time. Fucking Hail Nevermore and Drink plenty of Vodka while worshipping!

Best Tracks: All of Them

nevermore's black sheep - 86%
Written by ironasinmaiden on December 25th, 2002

In discussions about Nevermore, their epynonomous debut is often overlooked. I guess the band has created so many classic albums since, that there's not much room on the shelf for another. This is not to say that the s/t is anything less than brilliance... it captures the roots of what would later become Nevermore's trademark sound and contains many classic tracks.

First and foremost of these is Garden of Gray.. a necessity on any Nevermore mix tape, with it's stomping groove and killer Warrel Dane vocal performance. The overall riffing (especially on Sea of Possibilites) is the most frenetic of Nevermore's career, a good or bad thing depending on your tastes. The Sanity Assassin is the token mellow song, and it's done quite nicely, if I may add. Jeff Loomis is a modern metal guitar hero, and have proven it time and time again.

Standout tracks: garden of gray, timothy leary, what tomorrow knows (check out that groove). Politics of Ecstasy Jr. it may be, but for a Nevermore fan, there is no excuse for not owning this bad boy. Straight.

Totally underrated - 85%
Written by axman on August 8th, 2002

Nevemore's debut is truly one of the most underrated albums in metal. Great solos and vocals it's a wonder why more people don't mention this. One major difference between it and the rest of the Nevermore catalog is that the s/t is really more Sanctuary styled. Actually sounding like a sequel to Into the Mirror Black. Warrel's vocals are more of the bat-scream then the sombre baritone. Jeff Loomis' solos great excellent as always. Jim and Van quite the rythem section quite tight. One of the catchier songs on the album is What Tomorrow Knows. Other great songs are C.B.F. (Chrome Black Future), the hauntng Garden of Grey, the fast-paced Sea of Possibilities, and Timothy Learhy. The album's high points, though, are the thought-provoking anti-religion Godmoney and the all around godly The Sanity Assassin. Warrel's talent for writing deep thought provoking lyrics are up their with gods like Chuck Schuldiner, Henrik Ohlsson, and Kelly Schaeffer. Jeff Loomis and Van Williams show that they are two the most underrated people on the metal scene. Nevermore fans most own this and Sanctuary fans (is there a difference?) should too.

How an EP should be done - 86%
Written by StygianSteel on September 19th, 2003

Overview - More progression from the ex-Sanctuary boys as this EP shows the Politics style on the horizon. The track Optimist or Pessimist especially shows the heavy turn the band is about to take. 5 songs and every one of them is single worthy. I place this about on par with their first release since it has better songs, but has less material of course.

The Good News - What isn't good news? Every track on this EP belongs here. This is not your typical EP in that there are no remixes, radio edits, live versions, or other crap band's generally use to fill up space. There is one cover, but we'll forgive them as it is an Extremely good cover. Anyone who can make Bauhaus sound good has talent indeed.

The Bad News - The only thing I can say is that this disc leaves you wanting more. Which is probably a good thing for them, but I didn't want this EP to end.

Ever Evolving Band Delivers! - 88%
Written by Demon_of_the_Fall on May 2nd, 2003

There are some great songs on this EP, and now really...Nevermore has evolved to be one of the premier metal bands of all time. Every album outdoes the next in humble opinion and that just shows how competent this band is at writing amazing music that will never die in my heart. The songs are a step up from their previous two releases although there are only 5 songs, we get a great defination on what direction nevermore was to follow with their next release. Some of Nevermore's best songs are on this EP. Songs like "Optimist or Pessimist", "Matricide", "In Memory", and "The Sorrowed Man" just jut out to your heart, and you'll forever know that Nevermore is a band that people should pay more attention to. The Title track is one of the most memorable tracks nevermore has ever done with the fabulously attracting chorus, and verses. As mentioned before this is quite a tasty EP and if you love Nevermore like I do, this should definatly be in your collection for it ripps just like the rest of them do. Warrel's voice is a big step up as well as his notes are sustained much more than before, and he adds alot more strength and gruffness into his voice. The Musicianship is also a big improvement from their self titled album, which was released in 1995. Although this is a short cd, this is one of the best buys any metalhead could have. The songs on here should prove this.

Cheers

Best Tracks: The Whole disc

Tasty EP - 87%
Written by ThePKH on March 2nd, 2003

Sometimes I don't understand EP's, I really don't. Too often there's only one or two good songs on EP rest being quite bad leftovers and alternate versions (not to mention bad cover-version). Stuff for fans (though this argument may turn back on me since I am a huge Nevermore fan).
In this case I find it hard to blame band though. Because the stuff here really would not fit on any full-lenght Nevermore and on the other hand the music sound quite killer I would say that in this case releasing an EP is a great idea.

The weakest link of In Memory EP comes right in the beginning. While Optimist or Pessimist is a nice thrashy song with quite catchy chorus it doesn't rock my socks as much as the following stuff.
Next comes Matricide which was kinda hard piece for me. For quite long I found it annoying that there's this low "talking" following Warrel Dane's melodic singing. It's still my least favourite part of the song but I can live with it and even enjoy it.
In Memory is quite epic for a Nevermore song. It has some very melodic parts and this is the song that still grows on me after many years.
My favourite piece of In Memory is the Bauhaus cover Silent Hedges / Double Dare. I really like the original version but I must say I am even more impressed about the version Nevermore manages to squeeze out of it. The lyrics could be from a Nevermore song and guitarwork is heavy. Though this is not Nevermore's own song I think that this song gives a nice idea of variety, style and strenght of Warrel's singing.
The last song is an absolutely beautifull ballad The Sorrowed Man which is a great ending to a great release.

Overall, In Memory is worth of the money you are willing to invest on it. It's not near the best Nevermore release but definetly one of the best EP's I've heard.

Weakest Nevermore recording - 80%
Written by axman on August 8th, 2002

While definatly far from bad Nevermore's 1996 EP, In Memory, is definatly not their best. Featuring second guitarist Pat O'Brien's first appearence on a Nevermore cd he and Loomis shred things up. Van William's drums kick major ass and Warrel Dane's vocals are great as always. After their more Sanctuary-esque debut, In Memory, is where Nevermore really came into their own. Warrel's vocals are now more baritone then bat-scream and the music is more meloncholy. Kicking off is the headbanger Optimist or Pessimist. Great solo, great drums, and though-provoking lyrics make it possibly the best song on here. Matricide again are great lyrics and is the more meloncholy style. The Sorrowed Man ends the disc on a sombre note. All acoustic and just very meloncholy are again great parts of this song. On a more interesting note they cover Bauhaus' Silent Hadges/Double Dare. While I can't stand Bauhaus Nevermore do a great job and make these two songs quite enjoyable. Nevermore fans will love In Memory and fans of melodic dark metal with also enjoy it.

Excellent EP - 95%
Written by Iced_Demon on July 21st, 2002

Nevermore fails to disappoint me. I picked up this CD the other day, and all five songs kick ass. It's only 26 minutes long, but every minute is excellent.

This album is heavy, soft, and melodic. Warrel Dane's vocals are always excellent to accompany the musicianship of Jeff Loomis, who is a most excellent guitarist. The drums of Van Williams are great as well.

There is no weakness on this album. When the songs aren't ripping along with heavy riffs and blazing solos, they are soft and melodic acoustics. The only complaint I have is that there's only five songs. Every fan of Nevermore should have this CD, and any fan of metal should give them a try.

i think you had it awhile ago, becuase i think i got it from you awhile ago, and lost it in a windows crash...but maybe not. my memory is bad.

nahh that was the live one...probably
thanks will, got few dongs off the ftp..hey

===
Mother Of Darkness Castle, Belgium
===