Obsidian Conspiracy (Matt's Nevermore contest entry)

Nayth

New Metal Member
Oct 10, 2010
Canada
Hey, just wondering if anyone knew where I could find Matt Smith's version of the song? It has been stuck in my head for a while, but I can't find it.
Thanks.

Yea, it's been removed from Youtube for a while now. I really liked that version though, it better around somewhere.:)

Yep, it doesn't seem to be available anymore. I see there was a bit of a dust-up in the Nevermore fan community over it, so that may be the reason it was pulled (but I have no idea - just speculating).

what gets me is that the "winner" sounds just like warrel, and on top of that i cant stop staring at his lip.

Wow, I had no idea there was so much... nastiness behind Matt's entry. I downloaded it from a link Matt posted in the Ultimate Metal forums thread discussing the contest, put it on my workout playlist, and let it rock. It looks like Matt took the link down though.

Is this something we're allowed to share on the forums?

I read the contest rules, doesn't say anything about Nevermore owning exclusive rights to entries (in fact, implies entrants own the rights "your version"). Maybe it should go in the Club of Souls lol.

Also, please do not PM me for the song. I'm strict about copyright & ownership (I own a software company, lose money to piracy all the time). I won't share it without permission since I don't own it. I obtained it legally for my personal use. If Matt or Seastorm gives the thumbs up, I'll post a link, otherwise please direct hostility toward the people who poo pooed the entry and not my beliefs regarding copyright & sharing. Thanks.

If Matt or Seastorm gives the thumbs up, I'll post a link, otherwise please direct hostility toward the people who poo pooed the entry and not my beliefs regarding copyright & sharing.

Without knowing the backstory to this aside from what I've read online, I presume that Matt removed it for his own reasons. So, barring him saying otherwise, please do not post or share the song. If Matt wants it available to us, he can make it so. I think that's the best way to honor his decision to remove it.

BTW, I am not a Nevermore fan, so I didn't really follow this contest. Did the contestants cover the song (Nevermore music and lyrics), or use Nevermore's music and write and sing their own lyrics?

Next time I'll do the Mr Methane thing and ask everyone I know to make an account and like it just for kicks.

And for everyone wondering who I was referring to feast your eyes on this:

Last edited by a moderator: