Odin's Court Interview with Matt by SMMO

OdinsCourt

Valhalla
Sep 26, 2003
MD, USA
www.odinscourtband.com
SMMO Interview

SMMO: What's the name of your band, who are the members, and what do they play?
Odins Court: The bands name is Odin's Court and the members are
Matt Brookins - Guitar, Lead Vocals, Band Leader.
Scott Adley - Bass Guitar
John Abella - Drums, Percussion
Craig Moran - Keyboards, Backing Vocals

SMMO: What styles or genre's most influence your music?
Odins Court: Honestly, I can safely say that just about everything comes into play. We all love music in general. And everyone comes from slightly different backgrounds. The biggest would obviously be Prog Rock and Prog Metal. But, you can hear all kinds of stuff in our music like, Prog, Metal, Rock, New Age, Spanish/Fingerstyle, Classical, Country, Blues, etc. To varying degrees of course. I mean, don't expect Hank Williams Sr. or Enya or something like that. It's a blend of lots of stuff, but the end result is a very, unique and original sound that you can only describe as "Odin's Court".

SMMO: Describe your music to someone who has never heard your music before.
Odins Court: Using the above question as a starting point, you can hear the following influences in our music: Dream Theater, Pink Floyd, Rush, Symphony X, Yes, Queen, Iron Maiden, (old) Metallica, Yanni, Devin Townsend, Beethoven, etc. Again, the end result is a distinctive, original sound that can only describe as "Odin's Court".

SMMO: What's better, stage or studio?
Odins Court: Stage and studio each offer something more unique, but if I had to pick one it would be stage. Our stage show is full of energy and emotion. Plus you get the cohesiveness of the band playing off each other and the crowd. The studio, on the other hand, offers layers, complexity, and depth. You get something new with each listen. But, if I could pick the means that someone is first introduced to the band, I'd go with stage.

SMMO: Are Southern Maryland venues supportive of local bands?
Odins Court: Yes, some are, and no, some are not. The bottom line is that this is business. Once a bar finds a formula that works, they are afraid to try new things. The problem is, SoMd is so small that the formula is pretty much Top 40/Dance style bands. We've all been in SoMd bands in the past that played that format, and bars were very enthusiastic about us. However, since Odin's Court is so different, they are many times more apprehensive to book us. However, some of them are supportive of us, and we really appreciate that.

SMMO: What can your band offer the Southern Maryland audiences that other bands don't?
Odins Court: A lot. :) There is no other band in SoM doing what we do. Not one. We started out doing this in November of 2001, and I've seen other local musicians try to organize stuff like what we do since. But, no one has duplicated our makeup or energy.

SMMO: How can audiences find out more about you, do you have a website?
Odins Court: Yes, we have a website. On it, there is information about the band, our setlist, gig pictures, schedule, and more. The URL is www.OdinsCourtBand.com. Also, you can email us at: matt@odinscourtband.com.

SMMO: Describe your band in one sentence.
Odins Court: A Prog Metal/Rock band that blends aspects of prog, power, classic, thrash, goth, rock, and symphonic genres in an energetic format with dynamics, feeling, and groove.

SMMO: Do you perform original songs or cover songs, or both?
Odins Court: We started out as a cover band with the sole intention of moving towards originals as we wrote them. We then became a cover band that played originals. Currently, I would definitely call us an original band that plays covers as necessary. We adjust our setlist to accommodate the venue, audience, etc, but our heart is 99.9% in originals.

SMMO: What is the biggest problem with the Southern Maryland music scene?
Odins Court: A lack of variety. There are dozens of bands doing essentially the same thing: Top 40. How many bands do we need doing the same 40-60 songs? There are a few bands in SoMd that do carve their own path, but the majority follow the same old, cliché mold. That goes for the venues too! Many tend to only want to hire Top 40 bands. A little more variety would be nice.

SMMO: Does the band have a CD available, how can we get a copy?
Odins Court: Yes.We have a full length CD. 14 tracks, 72 minutes. You can order it by email, or buy it at one of our shows. In the near future you'll be able to get it from our record label "NuParadigm" or our website, and also several online sources like The End Records, CD Baby, Amazon, etc. We also have T-Shirts.

SMMO: What goals has the band set for its future?
Odins Court: Being an Internationally known band that sells merchandise worldwide, and becoming a Mideast/Northeast act that can regularly pack people in venues in any major city. We?ve done everything in steps, and so far we've accomplished most all of our goals, as they were realistically set. This is the next step.

SMMO: Would you ever consider not playing music?
Odins Court: No way. Music is like a religion to me. If I wasn't playing in a band, I'm sure I'd be spending more time on recording my fingerstyle stuff. I'm sure something similar can be said for everyone in the band.

SMMO: Is there a lead songwriter who comes forth with the majority of original material?
Odins Court: Up until now, yes. I wrote the majority of the stuff and brought it to the band. However, everyone in the band writes. I foresee our next CD having more input from the other guys. Though it's a creative process, and the bottom line is what works is what you go with no matter who writes it.

SMMO: What is your most memorable show yet?
Odins Court: That's easy: November 21st at Jaxx in Springfield, VA. We opened for International bands "Symphony X" and "Devin Townsend". You can't beat 400-500 metal/prog enthusiasts pumping their fists in the air and screaming to your original music. We're actually opening for Helloween in January, and it should be an awesome show as well.