*off topic* i need help! ( comp stuff )

here the computer is in belgium, anyone who wants to have a got at it to make the internet work on my computer (it drops dead after 30 sec of browsing) will be blessed with even more useless posts of me on this forum.
cheers!

siderea said:
here the computer is in belgium, anyone who wants to have a got at it to make the internet work on my computer (it drops dead after 30 sec of browsing) will be blessed with even more useless posts of me on this forum.
cheers!

If you can give us more information what is happening when you have conncected to the net than we maybe can help. Do you use an old modem over an analog phonecable?

Achernar said:
@siderea - is it dial-up? are you sure it isn't a that Remote Procedure Call (wormblast) thingie? in that case the computer would restart I guess.

This would be the worst case... Strange that this bloody worm is still out there... :ill:

right on rafael ! you won the guess-what-shit-is-happening-to-my-comp contest ! :lol:
i turned off the function, so lets wait and see if i t'll be better now :)

thanks again people !

well,
i have an old laptop, and we have telenet (broadband that is guess, not a modem) in my student room.
i think my windows is between 95 and 98

what happens is that after many tryings:
i manage to get on a page when i put it as a home address. after 30 seconds though in which it loads very fast, it gets stuck. especially if i click on something, or if there are pictures loading.
a second problem is that my computer doesn't want to shut down anymore. it only gives that blue windows screen with 'windows is shutting down' but doesn't go any further anymore

yeah sounds like the blaster worm to me as well. use http://www.free-av.de :)

edit: posted that before the error description came. if you use win 95 or 98 you just should get used to freezes and crashes, it's all a pile of junk ;) all you can do is install win2000

i know there is some kind of virus on my computer indeed, but a friend then burned me a virus scanner, it didn't work on my computer though, as it's too old.
i'll do that free-av tonight, perhaps i can burn it from another computer.

siderea said:
well,
i have an old laptop, and we have telenet (broadband that is guess, not a modem) in my student room.
i think my windows is between 95 and 98

what happens is that after many tryings:
i manage to get on a page when i put it as a home address. after 30 seconds though in which it loads very fast, it gets stuck. especially if i click on something, or if there are pictures loading.
a second problem is that my computer doesn't want to shut down anymore. it only gives that blue windows screen with 'windows is shutting down' but doesn't go any further anymore

Hmmm, your windows is 98 then or maybe 95... Strange if it is this old it can´t be the virus Archernar mentioned.

Otherwise try this out or better get an antivirus-software...

It might be an virus. Have a look at http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

download the fixblast.exe and run it on your laptop

cedarbreed said:
Can you really call a girl 'mate' ? :erk:
erm, obviously ;)
i do it all the time, and since i do not shag mates (generally), i do not make exceptions whether they are (fe)male. But if i do shag them, 'mate' wouldnt be appropriate really :Spin:
even if i had a gf, i'd still call her 'mate'. or 'love'. or both. but i do call female mates 'love', but no males tho. well sometimes actually, i do, but they're really close mates. mates i love to be honest. :loco:

slap me Marta.
cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese.

there you go mate :D

toolsofthetrade said:
erm, obviously ;)
i do it all the time, and since i do not shag mates (generally), i do not make exceptions whether they are (fe)male. But if i do shag them, 'mate' wouldnt be appropriate really :Spin:
even if i had a gf, i'd still call her 'mate'. or 'love'. or both. but i do call female mates 'love', but no males tho. well sometimes actually, i do, but they're really close mates. mates i love to be honest. :loco:

slap me Marta.
cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese.

there you go mate :D

:lol:

We're all *MAN* on these forums after all.

Lenore said:
right on rafael ! you won the guess-what-shit-is-happening-to-my-comp contest ! :lol:
i turned off the function, so lets wait and see if i t'll be better now :)

thanks again people !
Thanks! :D

Frodnat gave you the link though!

Frodnat said:
Hmmm, your windows is 98 then or maybe 95... Strange if it is this old it can´t be the virus Archernar mentioned.

Otherwise try this out or better get an antivirus-software...

It might be an virus. Have a look at http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

download the fixblast.exe and run it on your laptop
Well, the worm I mentioned only works under NT-based systems so it would be impossible for those operative systems to get it. Well, a good n' old format is what I advise. Just save yer stuff and clean yer computer... In the meantime, try updating your modem or broadband card drivers mate. Some drivers cause some kind of data overflow and turn off your connection.

elzka said:
computerwizard needed!
if you can fix computers, please come over, i need help with this machine. i will give you food and tender care. you can sleep on my couch for few days and i will take you to the city for sightseentrip.please contact me asap.thank you.

ps.the computer is in finland.
:lol: :lol:

thanks for the help anyway, in the mean time the internet provider decided to crash down in whole of belgium for a while as well, but soon i'll try all the solutions you mates have been giving me, hope it works, well, you'll notice :D
cheers