Official "Song of the Week" 2013 thread

Here's another really good band that often gets overlooked (something I've been guilty of with Dagoba too).

Dagoba - The Great Wonder

Last edited by a moderator:
Played a show with the drummer and singer/guitarist of this group out of Boston yesterday and wanted to share some love. The video doesn't do them justice (until maybe the end) as I personally think the tunes are much more intense as a two piece group. The drummer is simply sick - its like he had a lot of experience for a drum corp group and went to a drum kit. The singer switched to an electric guitar which adds a lot and then they've recently added some electronic samples on a song or two and the singer starts channeling in rage against the machine. The way I've been describing them is Bjork meets Rage against the machine (electronica style) meets the reversal of The White Stripes.

Little War Twins

(full tune starts at like 1 minute)

Gloryhammer - The Unicorn Invasion of Dundee

Wouldn't you know the best power metal album I have heard this year is a parody, but god damn it's good. :fu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og2twS3XVKQ

Parody? Damn. I guess I've been listening to power metal too long as I've been enjoying the tracks and didn't have a clue. It doesn't seem anymore over the top than a Rhapsody or Freedom Call album.

Parody? Damn. I guess I've been listening to power metal too long as I've been enjoying the tracks and didn't have a clue. It doesn't seem anymore over the top than a Rhapsody or Freedom Call album.

That's what makes it so awesome! As soon as I read the lyrics and realized it's about the invasion of medieval Scotland by an army of undead Unicorns led by the evil wizard Zargothrax, and the quest by the prince of the land for the Hammer of Glory to vanquish his enemies, I appreciated the album even more! It's a great sendup of power metal stereotypes as well as a solid PM album in its own right.

I'm not sure it's intended as parody. I think it's just suppose to be Epic Fantasy Power Metal turned up to 11, with the band enthusiastically embracing the stereotypes.

Not sure how many people dig Coheed on this board, but I'm loving the Hell out of their The Afterman: Descension album and need to share:

Zod, you like this tripe but think Amaranthe sucks?
You have some strange views on music.
To each his own, eh?

Zod, you like this tripe but think Amaranthe sucks?
An enthusiastic yes to both. Granted, the track I posted is a bit on the odd side... but it's a ton of fun. I love the singer's over-the-top vocal approach, the riffing is just awesome, and the vibe of the band is very cool. And to be clear, I don't just think Amaranthe sucks. I f**king hate them. They offend me. I'm planning on reaching out to the Westboro Baptist Church and seeing if they'll help me protest at Amaranthe's NYC show. I intend to get them to change their views on homosexuality and redirect all that fire and brimstone energy at Amaranthe.

You have some strange views on music. To each his own, eh?
Don't we all? I try to keep an open mind, and be truthful about what I like. I love me some Bon Jovi and Duran Duran, and I love Blood Red Throne and Drudkh.

And to be clear, I don't just think Amaranthe sucks. I f**king hate them.

wtfclips.0_standard_709.0.gif