Official "Song of the Week" 2013 thread

Been a weird week at work, so was looking for something a little different. This "group" basically just makes epic sounding movie clips, whole albums of them. If you like epic sounding instumentals, you can find tons of their stuff on YouTube, multi-hour playlists, etc.

I give you, Two Steps From Hell from the 2013 release, "Solaris"

Love this! X-Ray Dog is another company that does similar stuff, but finding any of it is hard work, even for download. They don't really release it for public consumption, I think they just license it to production companies.

This isn't anywhere near metal or really even prog, but this is my second favorite band of the last decade behind Redemption. I don't know of any vocalist out there more emotive and as clever with his phrasing.

Re: Poets of the Fall

His vox on Cradled in Love gave me chills the first time I heard it.

^^^ I can't understand how they don't have international disto. Their albums are stupidly hard to get in the US. They have a live DVD coming in August, but it'll probably be PAL format.

^^^ I can't understand how they don't have international disto. Their albums are stupidly hard to get in the US. They have a live DVD coming in August, but it'll probably be PAL format.

Agreed, it took me a long time to acquire all their cds because they were so unreasonably priced at most stores (and even on their website).

I pre-ordered the DVD and yes, it is in PAL format. My laptop plays all format dvds though, so I can hook it up to my TV.

Thankfully Glenn didn't remove the Poets of the Fall suggestion because it's technically a 2012 release. This will be my new obsession as the album is just an awesome headphone listen...

ToT is fantastic, probably their best album to date. If you can, be sure to pick up the ltd. edition which comes with two acoustic tracks and a new song; the bonuses are definitely worth it. "Signs of Life" (the bonus track) could be their best song yet (imo) and definitely essential.

Thankfully Glenn didn't remove the Poets of the Fall suggestion because it's technically a 2012 release. This will be my new obsession as the album is just an awesome headphone listen...

I had no idea of the release date.

It's a good thing there wasn't a new thread created over it or you would have been all over that as well! :loco:

I actually thought this unplugged version was from this year. Hey, a bunch of folks here get to experience something non-metal.

Listening to Poets makes you wonder why the music Gods make the decisions they do. PotF can't even sell their product in some Euro countries while bands like Nickelback and Creed can sell out fesitvals in Brazil. The entire back catalog is impressive, but the last three albums they really hit a creative and magical groove. Easily the most talented rock band on the planet IMO.

My fave song from the new Avantasia. I think Biff Byford gives a killer performance on this one (yes, I'm the resident Saxon fanboy, but still, I don't think someone could argue about that...)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say I'm amazed more people aren't talking about the new CircleIICircle. It reminds me how much I miss Savatage. This album is just solid as hell all the way through! Here's the only video of a full song I could find:

I have to say I'm amazed more people aren't talking about the new CircleIICircle. It reminds me how much I miss Savatage. This album is just solid as hell all the way through! Here's the only video of a full song I could find:

Yes, the new Circle II Circle is a very good one, and their best since Watching In Silence IMO.

Alice in Chains....seeing them on April 25th in FL!!!! Their comeback album was awesome and judging by this song alone, the new one may be too!!!! And in a era of throwaway videos to save a buck, Cantrell and Co. haven't spared any expenses here!!!! Reminds me of the era where MTV was actually a channel worth paying cable for!!!