oh dear..oh dear seems the 5150 needs new tubes

CatharsisStudios

trcksngsrpbngs
Jun 25, 2008
I WANT THE BEST SHIT MONEY CAN BUY

start telling me what to get gogogogogogogogoo

i am looking at some sovteks 5881s my friend can get me for cheap are they epic? and also the preamp what should i get

this why my tone has been EH recently

it just doesn't have any oomph

cause the tubes are fucking HELLA YEARS OLD

ii don't remember when the dude bought the amp like 97-98 i think so pretty fucking old. and its sad i can't count

Well i def think the 5881's will work out great for you and also i do really like the jj 12ax7's if you go to eruotubes they have a preamp package for a 5150 with all higher grade preamp tubes in it. and there pretty cheap to. also some regular sovtek 12ax7's will do you just fine also.

Winged C's are my favorite power tubes by far, so that's my vote (I think SED makes them now, rather than Svetlana) - and I love Shuguang 9th gen preamp tubes, so I use Penta Labs 12AX7's, which are the best of the Shuguangs taken and relabeled. Tung Sol's are slightly brighter (harsher IMO), JJ's slightly darker, though I can't emphasize the "slightly" part enough, so I wouldn't sweat it too much! I haven't tried any other types...

And www.dougstubes.com is the place to go!

I'll say this - Doug over at www.dougstubes.com is right on top of orders and emails, top notch customer service.

Unfortunately, I know this because USPS supposedly delivered my new tubes to my office for me last Friday.... and I have yet to see them. USPS is a nightmare trying to deal with, and the voicemail I got from them after finally getting a human on the phone to open a case for me was basically "Yeah hi this is USPS, nope we don't have your package here, case closed" *click*.

Doug's been offering suggestions about what to do via email and even asked for my local PO's phone number so he can call the postmaster personally, even though the Track & Confirm email was perfect as far as my address was concerned.

Sorry, no advice on which tubes to get (I have a Crate V50 combo amp anyways) but if you do order 'em online, here's another recommendation for www.dougstubes.com!!

How did your tubes not die man? I had my TSL for only a couple of years before the tubes died in it and it kept blowing fuses and I needed to get them replaced.

Mind you, Marshalls come from the factory biased very hot so they go through tubes a little quicker...but 8 years? Wow man. :lol:

I've been really happy with JJs or Rubys in my 5150 II. The current set of Rubys I'm on has been very awesome, very little noise for a 5150 II. Still one of the noisiest amps ever made, a Boss NS-2 or ISP Decimator is an essential with these, as is a tube screamer to get the best articulation without sounding wooly IMO.

BACKMASK's "Dark Fiber" was all JJ tubes in both power+preamp. Currently I've got Ruby power tubes and JJ preamp tubes.

i need to re tube my 6505+ soon i'm probably going to go with all jj's and see how that works out for me

edit: or probably the 5881's i put some in cj's block letter 5150 like 2 years ago and they fucking killed. so i might just try those