Oh The Irony!!! - Portnoy dismissed

I admit that I laughed at that pic. hahaha

I was curious earlier about what A7X longtimers (long time fans) were viewing this from their perspective, but I couldn't find an official forum for A7X

Though I don't care for A7X, that press release was very well written.

Agreed. Very classy, I thought.

I completely respect their reasoning for not wanting to be "AVENGED SEVENFOLD with MIKE PORTNOY"

The reality though is that about 95% of their fanbase realistically have no clue who MP is, so in reality that wouldn't be that much of an issue.

I think MP might be a bit better-known in A7X's fan circles than you're indicating. I've talked to a few A7X fans who were clearly aware of who MP was and how "their" band (A7X) were lucky indeed to have one of the world's best drummers performing for them. Their words, not mine, although IMO Portnoy is one of the best in the metal realm.

Given that the reasons he gave for leaving didn't have much to do with his gig with A7X, I doubt it. He said he wanted a break from DT, and it was only us who speculated that he did it to play with A7X.
My post has nothing to do with A7X. I do not think Mikeäs decision has anything to do with A7X

OT My keyboard seems to be locked into either Swedish or Finnish and I canät type normal, lol.

And so the saga continues:

Ex-DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy has revealed that he made a recent attempt to rejoin his former bandmates but was rebuffed by the group he formed and led for 25 years. Writing on his official forum, Portnoy states, "Just for the record, this is indeed true..

"Fairly recently, I reached out to the guys to try and make amends and offered to reconcile for the sake of having peace back in our lives… (plus I know how much it meant to a lot of the fans…)

"I figured it was still possible to try and save us, because they hadn't made any announcements yet or begun any public activity with another drummer… but sadly, they declined my offer (well, actually their lawyer did… they didn't even tell me themselves….)

"Sorry, gang, I honestly gave it my all…

"So now the fans on my Twitter and Facebook can please stop asking me to go back to DREAM THEATER… I tried, and the door is now shut… The ball is now in their court, not mine…

"I'm not crying or looking for mercy by posting this… I am merely trying to set the record straight as that is always the most important thing about my relationship with you guys… No BS, no spins, nothing to hide… and for better or for worse, I tell it like it is… I've also recently seen some people accuse my online activity of 'looking for attention or media coverage,' or 'looking for sympathy,' but it's honestly none of the above… I merely value having an open and active communication with my fans… Always have, always will… It is the cornerstone of everything I've done since day #1 with DREAM THEATER…

"This was posted here FOR YOU GUYS to know about... here on MY message board on MY website... If it ends up on Blabbermouth or wherever else, that is THEIR choice to spread, I did not request it or send out a 'press release'...

"Anyways, onward and upward...

"I've got a lot of great music and ideas waiting to come out of me and alot of exciting collaborations in the works....so goodbye 2010...bring on 2011!"

I think MP might be a bit better-known in A7X's fan circles than you're indicating. I've talked to a few A7X fans who were clearly aware of who MP was and how "their" band (A7X) were lucky indeed to have one of the world's best drummers performing for them. Their words, not mine, although IMO Portnoy is one of the best in the metal realm.

Sorry, but I extremely disagree.
Your average pre-tween and teenage A7X Hot Topic type of music fan has no idea who Dream Theater are.

Maybe some of their older fans who are more into underground music may be, but the basic target audience of that band is not in tune with DT.

Regardless, I think A7X showed a lot of class and honesty with their statements, so good on them.

Furthermore, while I appreciate Portnoy's honesty as well, I think he should have kept the fact that he tried to get back into DT to himself. I think he is going to take a lot of flack from haterz for quite some time on that one.

I don't blame DT one bit for not taking him back.
They are moving on, and aren't interested in drama.
Portnoy was always the one who was more into being in the spotlight than the rest. Not saying it hurt the band, as it did help the name get out their more. He is certainly a promotion machine, which is good. Still though, a band like Dream Theater was never about the drama or the fame.

In the end, Mike Portnoy looks like a fool.

Your average pre-tween and teenage A7X Hot Topic type of music fan has no idea who Dream Theater are.

Wtf is a pre-tween? Like 9 year olds? What about just regular tweens? Do they know who Dream Theater are? Haha.

On topic, I'm actually glad MP didn't get back into DT. I'm curious to see what they put out without MP. I'm also interested in seeing what MP puts out on his own. I'm hoping he expands along the lines of "A Nightmare To Remember", adding more death growls to the mix, with of course having someone else do it full time instead of himself. After James LaBrie's latest album, maybe DT will include more death growls!

Ya I realize I'm probably the only one who feels this way, but flame on if you insist. :devil:

Sorry, but I extremely disagree.

Maybe some of their older fans who are more into underground music may be, but the basic target audience of that band is not in tune with DT.

Regardless, I think A7X showed a lot of class and honesty with their statements, so good on them.

Furthermore, while I appreciate Portnoy's honesty as well, I think he should have kept the fact that he tried to get back into DT to himself. I think he is going to take a lot of flack from haterz for quite some time on that one.

I don't blame DT one bit for not taking him back.
They are moving on, and aren't interested in drama.
Portnoy was always the one who was more into being in the spotlight than the rest. Not saying it hurt the band, as it did help the name get out their more. He is certainly a promotion machine, which is good. Still though, a band like Dream Theater was never about the drama or the fame.

In the end, Mike Portnoy looks like a fool.

Maybe most of their fans don't know too much about DT but it seems Portnoy's name alone is more well known than the whole DT name. He's constantly mentioned on best drummer lists and drummer mags, etc. I bet a good number of A7X knew who he was but probably in name only.

Yeah, I'm disappointed in Mike. I appreciate his honesty and all, but some things you just shouldn't reveal. I mean let's be honest, DT could've been total dicks and announced that he asked to come back but they denied him but they didn't. This doesn't bode well for his future in DT. At this juncture, the best thing he can do is be involved in new projects and such for a good 5 years or so. Then maybe they'll want him back, but if it never happens unfortunately he only has himself to blame.

On topic, I'm actually glad MP didn't get back into DT. I'm curious to see what they put out without MP. I'm also interested in seeing what MP puts out on his own. I'm hoping he expands along the lines of "A Nightmare To Remember", adding more death growls to the mix, with of course having someone else do it full time instead of himself. After James LaBrie's latest album, maybe DT will include more death growls!

Ya I realize I'm probably the only one who feels this way, but flame on if you insist. :devil:

Yeah, I seriously don't want a Dream Theater song to have death growls. His background vocals were bad enough.

My post has nothing to do with A7X. I do not think Mikeäs decision has anything to do with A7X

OT My keyboard seems to be locked into either Swedish or Finnish and I canät type normal, lol.

HAHAHAH canät is sooo Sweglish. My keyboard is screwed up as well.

I am far from a DT hater, but to be honest, I think DT has been pretty much turned into a bit of a musical masturbation band. I think a DT shake-up might be what the doctor ordered IMNSHO.

Bryant

Maybe most of their fans don't know too much about DT but it seems Portnoy's name alone is more well known than the whole DT name. He's constantly mentioned on best drummer lists and drummer mags, etc. I bet a good number of A7X knew who he was but probably in name only.

Yeah, sorry, I still do not agree.

It's not like A7X is a big guitar geek band whose fans read MODERN DRUMMER or GUITAR FOR THE PRACTICING MUSICIAN monthly.

This isn't an Ozzy situation, where his young fans are practicing musicians who knew the Gus G name.

Well, that's my 2 cents anyhow.

I also bet a large chunk of A7X's audience had no clue there was even a different drummer behind the kit.

Sorry, I know many of you who are fans try to find some credibility with this band. Not knocking the band or the music, but the "band" is a mainstream product whose longevity will last as long as the current trend will allow.

Don't blame me. Blame mainstream music.

Well with recent speculation about Roy Khan and Kamelot, maybe Roy and Mike can get together and do something :p

edit: and since you need some instrumentalists, get Aaron Turner on board!!!

HAHAHAH canät is sooo Sweglish. My keyboard is screwed up as well.
Heh, so annoying. I have the language switcher in my tool bar but it doesn't always listen. Had to reboot. But we're only on page two, so it's too early to hijack this (YET ANOTHER DT INFLUENCED) thread.

So,

He's constantly mentioned on best drummer lists and drummer mags, etc.
Because it's cool to do so. The media isn't any better than a schoolyard full of 12-year-olds. Mike is a very good drummer, but he's not in the elite category. He'd do well to toss a third of that gear, get back to basics and relearn how to establish a groove, as in feel the music not wank it to death. Which contributes to me agreeing with this:

I think DT has been pretty much turned into a bit of a musical masturbation band. I think a DT shake-up might be what the doctor ordered IMNSHO.

I've seen them too many times to count, but I can't make it through 25% of their set anymore in concert. I'm all for a shake up.