Oh The Irony!!! - Portnoy dismissed

Now it seems Portnoy tried to get back with DT and they said no way bro!
and the MP forum has deleted all of the threads pertaining to this news item.
Portnoy really misplayed all of this thinking he was gonna hit it big with the A7x guys but he was too much MP for them to take i guess. He can do all these lil side projects but nothing will make the Paper that DT or a7x woulda, guess hes assed out now!

Because it's cool to do so. The media isn't any better than a schoolyard full of 12-year-olds. Mike is a very good drummer, but he's not in the elite category. He'd do well to toss a third of that gear, get back to basics and relearn how to establish a groove, as in feel the music not wank it to death.

Actually Portnoy is one of the few drummers in metal who plays "busy" and can actually make it work within the context of the song. There are lots of other drummers who overplay and it winds up taking away from the song. And I'll have to disagree with you because he most certainly is in an elite category. Yes there are more technically proficient drummers but he's got the whole package IMO.

Actually Portnoy is one of the few drummers in metal who plays "busy" and can actually make it work within the context of the song. There are lots of other drummers who overplay and it winds up taking away from the song. And I'll have to disagree with you because he most certainly is in an elite category. Yes there are more technically proficient drummers but he's got the whole package IMO.
Obviously a matter of opinion, because I think his current "busyness" is distracting, not supporting the whole. And I still think he is over rated.

I totally agree. I think its absurd NOT to put him up there in the elite category. Sure, maybe people don't like him as a person or don't like some of the stuff he writes, but to go ahead and say he's not an elite drummer...

Obviously a matter of opinion, because I think his current "busyness" is distracting, not supporting the whole. And I still think he is over rated.

Absolutely it's just a matter of opinion. Nothing wrong with that. I happen to look forward to the more involved playing when I'm listening to DT. I think that's what gives them their own style.

Maybe Mike should put together a new prog metal band together in direct competition to Dream Theater. They could coin themselves as the “the world's state-of-the-art prog metal band”. They would have a revolving door of musicians and make sure they always have a shit hot lead guitarist. Mike could then go on a 30 year whinging session in the press about how the band kicked him out but its actually really obvious that he's really jealous of the huge amount of money DT make even though his band is highly successful and Mike is a very wealthy man anyway. Late in both bands careers they could get together and play at some eastern European festival with Queensryche and Fates Warning while nearly all band members jam on Pull Me Under. Dvd release is imminent.

They would have a revolving door of musicians and make sure they always have a shit hot lead guitarist.

What the fuck is a "shit hot lead guitarist"?? Are you implying JP is hot... Are you implying JP is shit? Or are you trying to use the temperature of your fecal matter as the latest means to describe a guitarist. In any case, what the hell is that phrase supposed to mean? lol

Mike could then go on a 30 year whinging session in the press about how the band kicked him out but its actually really obvious that he's really jealous of the huge amount of money DT make even though his band is highly successful and Mike is a very wealthy man anyway.

Rant? Will MP even be able to play the drums in 30 years? He's already hella old. I'm actually really curious about how much money members of DT actually make each year.

Late in both bands careers they could get together and play at some eastern European festival with Queensryche and Fates Warning while nearly all band members jam on Pull Me Under. Dvd release is imminent.

If you're gonna have 4 bands jamming on 1 song, I'd personally choose a longer DT song. They should jam on "A Change Of Seasons." Then, they'd have to make a DVD so everyone who wasn't lucky enough to attend the festival could still see the performance.

What the fuck is a "shit hot lead guitarist"?? Are you implying JP is hot... Are you implying JP is shit? Or are you trying to use the temperature of your fecal matter as the latest means to describe a guitarist. In any case, what the hell is that phrase supposed to mean?

shit hot= talented, popular
:rolleyes:

Maybe Mike should put together a new prog metal band together in direct competition to Dream Theater. They could coin themselves as the “the world's state-of-the-art prog metal band”. They would have a revolving door of musicians and make sure they always have a shit hot lead guitarist. Mike could then go on a 30 year whinging session in the press about how the band kicked him out but its actually really obvious that he's really jealous of the huge amount of money DT make even though his band is highly successful and Mike is a very wealthy man anyway. Late in both bands careers they could get together and play at some eastern European festival with Queensryche and Fates Warning while nearly all band members jam on Pull Me Under. Dvd release is imminent.

Awesome Megadeth/Big 4 parallel.

Maybe most of their fans don't know too much about DT but it seems Portnoy's name alone is more well known than the whole DT name. He's constantly mentioned on best drummer lists and drummer mags, etc. I bet a good number of A7X knew who he was but probably in name only.

That's exactly what I meant in my original post. Portnoy has a lot of name recognition. When I was talking to a few A7X fans up in Tennessee this past summer, they instantly recognized the name.

Yeah, sorry, I still do not agree.

It's not like A7X is a big guitar geek band whose fans read MODERN DRUMMER or GUITAR FOR THE PRACTICING MUSICIAN monthly.

They're not, but undoubtedly some of their fans are aspiring musicians and DO read those mags.

This isn't an Ozzy situation, where his young fans are practicing musicians who knew the Gus G name.

That's like, a joke, right? Name six.

I also bet a large chunk of A7X's audience had no clue there was even a different drummer behind the kit.

Overly dismissive much?

Yeah, sorry, I still do not agree.

Don't blame me. Blame mainstream music.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree here. I think you're being a little too judgemental in terms of their image and fanbase. I think you'd be surprised how many knew of Portnoy.

Is that quote basically like "Don't hate the player. Hate the game."? :lol:

That's like, a joke, right? Name six.

The point was that Gus G has appeared in Guitar magazines and had instructional DVDs which are read / viewed by younger hard rock and metal fans (IE - some of Ozzy's target audience these days).

Sure, maybe he isn't as well known as Zakk or Alexi, but still more known to younger Ozzy fans than Portnoy is to A7X fans.

Also, lead guitarists have a lot more exposure to younger aspiring musicians than drummers, as more people tend to pick up the axe than the drums.

Is that quote basically like "Don't hate the player. Hate the game."? :lol:

Well, partially.
But to be honest, it's just like when we discuss Disturbed or Trivium.
You guys here who are fans of those bands can't seem to accept that it is simply mainstream music that you enjoy, and you try to make it out like these bands are extremely well-respected musicians whose fans are extremely knowledgeable of underground music.

Sorry, but a large part of these bands' fanbase will only care about these bands as long as they remain on the radio.

Don't take it as me insulting the bands. I could not care less one way or another. As I said before, it's the nature of the beast of being a mainstream band. Doesn't mean these bands are not good or what not.