ohhh fuck i just bought kola nuts at the african market and chewed one

xfer

I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS
Nov 8, 2001
New York City
www.geocities.com
there's been a little bin of pretty, bright red nuts sitting next to the cash register every time i've gone...there's always a damp paper towel covering them, and i wondered if they were betel nuts, or what?

so i asked the guy at the counter this morning (i go there sometimes en route to work) and he said they were kola nuts, two for a dollar. he told me you wash them, and then chew them and swallow the juice while you chew for a while, and eventually spit out the pulp once the juice is gone. okay! "it's very bitter, though..." he told me. "just buy one!" and very caffeinated!

i bought two, figuring i knew people who would want to try them. put one in my mouth a few minutes ago, and chewed.

holy crap, it was gross. it tasted completely un-kola-like. like an extremely bitter, crunchy potato (that dirt taste x4). i chewed it and managed to swallow maybe three loads of kola juice before i had to spit it out. interestingly, the pretty red-purple inside seemed to have turned greyish.

fuckin horrible! i guess it's an acquired taste, like cigarettes or coffee. i vowed immediately to eschew kola nuts forever and gave away the other one.

but now, ten minutes after the spitout, i actually think i might try them again! it's like having a bad trip, or smoking your first cigarette, or having a nightmare--immediately during/after, you're like NEVER AGAIN, but the next day you're like THAT WAS SO COOL!

heh, actually, i thought of that! remember in south pacific how there's the song about "bloody mary's chewin' betel nuts, now ain't that too damn bad"? and the stage directions are BLOODY MARY SMILES, SHOWING BETEL-STAINED TEETH? i was worried about these kola things doing the same. but no stain is evident--maybe many years of chewing, or chewing for more than five minutes at least, would do it. :)

actually, i stopped at a second store after buying them, showed the kola nuts to a girl i know who works there, and engaged in a substantial conversation about khat before i got to work!

lizard said:
khat - what all somalian warlords and gunmen chew! ya know, with all the somalians around here, somebody must be growing this stuff in their garage or somewhere...

when i lived in wales, some of me mates heard about ghat/khat and wandered off to the somalian grocers to buy some (its illegal now i think) anyway i knew a few people who'd used it so i told them they could chew it up or put it in tea

a while later i dropped into them to see wassup (yo) and they were moaning that the stuff was disgusting and was doing nothing for them. Then i noticed they were chewing the big leaves that the somalis wrap the ghat in rather than the "product" (word) itself. I said nothing. I never really liked them anyway. :ill::ill:

This is my story.
There are many like it but this one is mine.

Bambi said:
Then i noticed they were chewing the big leaves that the somalis wrap the ghat in rather than the "product" (word) itself. I said nothing. I never really liked them anyway. :ill::ill:

This is my story.
There are many like it but this one is mine.
that is funny! that's like my grandmother, she took us to warm mineral springs in florida, where they supposedly have all this healthy mud for mudpacks, etc. the old lady plops down in some mud and starts smearing it all over her legs, arms, then an employee says, "er, ma'am, the health mud is over there..."