Ok, all you Isis & Neurosis nuts, help a brother out

MadeInNewJersey

nursing my wounds
Apr 15, 2002
The Ridge
www.discogs.com
Up until this past weekend, I had only heard Isis - Oceanic and really just didn't get into it. Sold it to JayK.

Fast forward to Saturday. Frickin' Nemtheanga is so in love with these bands, I swear to god we must've had a 6-hour Isis/Neurosis marathon. I won't lie, I pretty much loved everything he played for me, but the problem is, I have no idea which albums they were, except for Isis - Panopticon.

So besides that one, where does one begin with Neurosis?

And then beyond that, if I'm willing to learn & love these 2 bands, what else does one check out? He was also raving about Cult of Luna. *shrugs*

CoL is pretty forgettable, especially compared to the superiority of 'Osis/Isis.

Get Neurosis - Through Silver in Blood. That's the one you'll prolly like the best. Pelican and Stand-Up Guy might be two others to invest in if you like Neurosis.

Overmars - Affliction, Endocrine...Vertigo (In vein of what you described)

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn (Mellow, purely instrumental)

Alizee- 12 years is all it takes, to make you go horny.

his favorite is 'a sun that never sets' I think
so he probably played that
he likes eye of every storm too

but if i were you I'd follow the natural progression

souls at zero (there are earlier albums but this is where they really 'started')
enemy of the sun
through silver in blood
sovereign
times of grace (can also be played alongside 'grace' --ambient- from tribes of neurot)
'a sun that never sets
eye of every storm

i'm starting to come around to 'eye' but I think the nuerosis & jarboe album is better

Get the Neurosis J. mentioned, and also get Neurosis 'Times of Grace'. It has a sort of tribal feel to it at times , but so does almost all Neurosis stuff. Those are the two Neurosis albums that pretty much solidified the band as easily one of the most important bands of the last 20 years.

I'm sure Nemtehanihgnujshnldnenga was pushing Isis 'Oceanic' at you pretty hard. That one is their masterpiece. Panopticon is just barely below it.

Cult of Luna is OK, but I think they might have a bit too much of a core feel for you. They don't have much, but something about them just seems like you wouldn't be as into them.

Don't go beyond those 3 bands until you feel like you're completely in love with this stuff. Otherwise you'll get lost in the sea of Neurosis clones. There's some good stuff out there, but you're bound to run into a lot of core when you get away from Neurosis and Isis.

Cult of Luna in their most threatening pose:

cult%20of%20luna%201.JPG

*figures Gugs sporting the emo look*

unhinged said:
his favorite is 'a sun that never sets' I think
so he probably played that
he likes eye of every storm too

but if i were you I'd follow the natural progression

souls at zero (there are earlier albums but this is where they really 'started')
enemy of the sun
through silver in blood
sovereign
times of grace (can also be played alongside 'grace' --ambient- from tribes of neurot)
'a sun that never sets
eye of every storm

i'm starting to come around to 'eye' but I think the nuerosis & jarboe album is better

Thanks Paul!

Nate The Great said:
I'm sure Nemtehanihgnujshnldnenga was pushing Isis 'Oceanic' at you pretty hard. That one is their masterpiece. Panopticon is just barely below it.

No, this is the only thing I'm certain of. In one of these threads is his quote: "Panopticon is the best album released in at least 10 years."

MadeInNewJersey said:
No, this is the only thing I'm certain of. In one of these threads is his quote: "Panopticon is the best album released in at least 10 years."

No offense, but it sounds like he wasn't exposed to them until Panopticon. That's usually what people like that say. Nothing wrong with that, though. They're both amazing albums. I like the rare use of female vocals on Oceanic. It really adds to the "floating at sea" feeling.

Nate The Great said:
No offense, but it sounds like he wasn't exposed to them until Panopticon. That's usually what people like that say. Nothing wrong with that, though. They're both amazing albums. I like the rare use of female vocals on Oceanic. It really adds to the "floating at sea" feeling.

ha ha, why would I take offense.

And I don't want to speak for him, but the man knows his music, you'll just have to trust me.

Mark I hope this "relationship" doesn't change you. This is a common scenario. Meeting up with someone who you believe understands you for who you are. All cards on the table. Good and the bad. Next thing you know you are prompted with an ultimatum. "My way or the highway". What i'm saying is. Don't change for anyone brutha. :loco:

Reign in Acai said:
Mark I hope this "relationship" doesn't change you. This is a common scenario. Meeting up with someone who you believe understands you for who you are. All cards on the table. Good and the bad. Next thing you know you are prompted with an ultimatum. "My way or the highway". What i'm saying is. Don't change for anyone brutha. :loco:

:lol: ...

I knew them with Oceanic and slightly prefer Panopticon. Oceanic converted me to this scene btw , it's a real monster.

Reign in Acai said:

:lol: x 476

Dev said:
I knew them with Oceanic and slightly prefer Panopticon

idem.

"Oceanic" was the revelation, "Panopticon" managed to take them to a higher strata of their own music that is plainly spoken impossible to copy. I know it doesn't make sense. Anyway until a couple months ago I would have agreed that "Panopticon" is the best fucvking thing released this past decade. But now it's Dirge's "And Shall the Sky Descend", and so it shall remain. :p