Ok, all you Isis & Neurosis nuts, help a brother out

That video is pretty cool. They kind of remind me of Tool. Tool doesn't move around much, and their music get pretty involved. And why do people mosh at these types of shows. They totally ruin it for me. I got stuck close to the mosh pit at a Tool concert, and I kicked this guy in the kidneys because he was doint that hardcore dance shit. He just looked at me and bent over and threw up. I think it might have been because he was high, though.

Oh . . . I forgot that Old Man Gloom is about the only other band I'd recommend at this time, but I'm afraid they would be WAY to out-there for you. They are made up of the core members of Isis, and some other guys. They're admittedly quite strange, though.

Ellestin said:
"Oceanic" was the revelation, "Panopticon" managed to take them to a higher strata of their own music that is plainly spoken impossible to copy. I know it doesn't make sense.

I can see where you're going here...

Anyway until a couple months ago I would have agreed that "Panopticon" is the best fucvking thing released this past decade. But now it's Dirge's "And Shall the Sky Descend", and so it shall remain. :p

August Engine IMO.

Like I said in the other thread, there might be links from Isis to Neurosis etc, but I'm not familiar with Neurosis at all...so it really doesn't even come into question when I think about Isis. The fact is, Isis is so goddamn good, it's above being labelled. You just need to be a fan of music to appreciate Isis.

One day I'll explore Neurosis again. Maybe tonight I'll ripd my CDs to MP3 and throw them on the iPod. I will say this, I listened to Eye of Every Storm the other day and got bored to shit.

neurosis wee wee on isis from way up there
I'm not new to Isis either
i was very into the first album and eps
which do of course borrow more heavily from nuerosis
I've just finished listening to panopticon
its obviously good, probably better than oceanic
but I was working it ended and was into the second track again before I realised it, there s not enough direction, it just goes round in circles
which is fine and I'm not saying its bad, but not gripping

to compare them to neurosis in terms of importance and influence is just pants
its like comparing korn to faith no more

one thing I have noticed is a 'seemingly' huge influence from later godflesh especially in the guitars and vocal delivery, the start of backlit...godflesh

I'm not slagging them at all though, I just don't understand the hype

Dev said:
I knew them with Oceanic and slightly prefer Panopticon. Oceanic converted me to this scene btw , it's a real monster.

^ Me too. Cream of the crop: Neurosis, Isis, Pelican, Red Sparowes. All others are for major fans of this shtick.

unhinged said:
neurosis wee wee on isis from way up there
I'm not new to Isis either
i was very into the first album and eps
which do of course borrow more heavily from nuerosis
I've just finished listening to panopticon
its obviously good, probably better than oceanic
but I was working it ended and was into the second track again before I realised it, there s not enough direction, it just goes round in circles
which is fine and I'm not saying its bad, but not gripping

to compare them to neurosis in terms of importance and influence is just pants
its like comparing korn to faith no more

one thing I have noticed is a 'seemingly' huge influence from later godflesh especially in the guitars and vocal delivery, the start of backlit...godflesh

I'm not slagging them at all though, I just don't understand the hype

I agree that Neurosis is just miles above and beyond Isis. But if you compare the two based on modern stuff it's like comparing Enslaved to Darkthrone. They're just going in different directions . . . sort of.

Gugs you should've downloaded all that Neurosis I uploaded a few months ago, when I told you to. :loco:

The Eye of Every Storm, look for it in a few hours.

:loco:

A Sun That Never Sets is the best if you ask me, but I haven't fully wrapped my head around Times of Grace. Through Silver in Blood is good, but so far is my least favorite from them (and was my cherry popper). I haven't heard anything earlier than that.

Good recommendations, and I'd agree that you should start w/ Neurosis, Isis and Pelican. Since you like Panopticon, I'd try Oceanic again before you pick up Neurosis or anything else, simply because it's caught your ear. I like this style quite a bit, and some of the other bands that I dig the most are:

Minsk-- http://www.atalossrecordings.com/minsk-hfns.mp3
Abandon-- http://www.thecodebreaker.net/mp3/Abandon.mp3
Overmars-- http://chantofcetacean.free.fr/noise/OVERMARS-this_is_rape.mp3
Red Sparowes--stream samples http://www.redsparowes.com/RS_index.html

Thanatopsis123 said:
Wow, I'm so buying that album. That was quite moving.

that video really did put the band in a new light for me ...

also their music would really benefit if listened to on an audiophile high end sytem .... subwoofer anyone? :loco:

Streaming does not work anymore . Maybe I can download a rip but it would be like 300 mb. But ,don't "waste" your future show by watching it non-stop :lol: