Ok how scooped can you go without risking getting a hollow mix?

Ola Englund

Only gay in the village
Dec 1, 2001
Stockholm, Sweden
www.olaenglund.com
I've been reamping here and there last week and I've tried out different guitars with this song I'm writing. I've always used active pickups because of their full mids but this week I thought, screw the mids for this time, How much can I scoop before the mix get hollow sounding...

In this song I used my Ibanez guitar with Ibanez V8. It's a scooped sound but it has alot of clarity that I think work for this song. The sound get alot more gnarlier and defined than with my other guitars... So now I'm seriously considering change the pickups in all my other guitars. Please remind me what I liked about EMGs?

I've recorded everything on video aswell and will be putting that on youtube in a while...

Here is a test:
http://www.oep.se/ljud/test.mp3

EDIT:
And another one:
http://www.oep.se/ljud/shorty.mp3

Your clips sound awesome dude, not too scooped, but still scooped. What tuning was your guitar in? That can change how much mids you need, at least I think it would, like with 8 string guitars you need quite a bit more mids than a standard tuning 6 string.

I've been reamping here and there last week and I've tried out different guitars with this song I'm writing. I've always used active pickups because of their full mids but this week I thought, screw the mids for this time, How much can I scoop before the mix get hollow sounding...

In this song I used my Ibanez guitar with Ibanez V8. It's a scooped sound but it has alot of clarity that I think work for this song. The sound get alot more gnarlier and defined than with my other guitars... So now I'm seriously considering change the pickups in all my other guitars. Please remind me what I liked about EMGs?

I've recorded everything on video aswell and will be putting that on youtube in a while...

Here is a test:
http://www.oep.se/ljud/test.mp3

EDIT:
And another one:
http://www.oep.se/ljud/shorty.mp3

I like it a lot. I played with EMG 81 and 85s for years but for this type of stuff, the pickup you've got in there is a winner for sure. I've been thinking about getting a scooped pickup like the Dimarzio Steve's Special for a similar tone.

Both sound really fucking good dude, nice job! I do think a better cab (such as an Engl Pro 4x12) would really help, as these are a bit scratchy which I think is from the HB, but overall I'm amazed by the sounds you can coax from that thing! :headbang:

screw the mids for this time, How much can I scoop before the mix get hollow sounding...

Have you listened to the newest Freak Kitchen album, "Land of the Freaks"? That guitartone is like scooped as fuck, but still the mix sounds very full, after you get used to the guitartone, because the guitars don't clash with vocals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jesus, that Freak Kitchen tone is like Dimebag's tone run through a T75 Marshall cab; sizzly and sorta solid-state and scooped in the upper mids, but also really hollow; I kinda like it for what it is, but it's still annoying IMO

Your clips sound awesome dude, not too scooped, but still scooped. What tuning was your guitar in? That can change how much mids you need, at least I think it would, like with 8 string guitars you need quite a bit more mids than a standard tuning 6 string.

tuned C with drop Bb, that's how I usually roll in feared...

Both sound really fucking good dude, nice job! I do think a better cab (such as an Engl Pro 4x12) would really help, as these are a bit scratchy which I think is from the HB, but overall I'm amazed by the sounds you can coax from that thing! :headbang:

Thanks a lot. I'm working pretty hard with the benton cab and its sound. Grown so acustomed to it, don't even remember how my carvin cabs sound.

Riktigt jävla bra mix o låt ideer tycker jag dude,,,rocka på fan,,, va är det för trummor sup2 metal f elr,,, skulle va asome om du ville dela med dej av present i så fall ;)

Wow, I'm a fan of scooped tones, as long as it's not too scooped, and this is really awesome. All your tones are ace, which also shows how good your playing is.

Jesus, that Freak Kitchen tone is like Dimebag's tone run through a T75 Marshall cab; sizzly and sorta solid-state and scooped in the upper mids, but also really hollow; I kinda like it for what it is, but it's still annoying IMO

Hmmm, I've never owned a Marshall T75 cab that had scooped upper mids!