OK I think I just fried my pedal...

Ret-

Witching Metal!!!
May 14, 2004
Wellington - New Zealand
Currently I'm borrowing a pedal from a freind (have been for like 5 months now so i think hes pretty much forgotten), now what I did was in my router setup I have a minihub and the router, both hooked up to adapters for power. I considered buying a new adapter but I thought I'd try the adapter of the minihub as I dont need it anymore. and I was getting fucking sick of running out of batterys.

So anyway I plug the adapter that the minihub was using into the pedal, it fit and all, the light for the pedal went on, sweet, moved around got my guitar and stuff, then started to smell burninating.. didnt know what the hell it was so unhooked everything, wasnt coming from the adapter, but upon further inspection it was coming directly from the adapter whole in the pedal, it wasnt actually burning fire but i could just smell the smoke, but didnt see any either. tried putting an old battery in to see if the light would faintly come on like it usually does with the old batterys and I got nothing. I dont know too much about this stuff so im too scared to try hook it all back up and try play incase it blows up or something silly. (try not to flame me, I'm new to all this kind of stuff.)

Any help? is it fucked? or any possible way to get it fixed?

Cheers.

sounds to me like you applied an incorrect voltage (by using the wrong adapter)

if there's a fuse in there, you can replace it and all's good. if not, it's fried.

The same thing happened with my telephone.

The plug started smoking because it had the wrong resistance or something.

But, my phone worked fine after that. (After using a different adapter.)

I suppose it depends on how long it was smoking for. :/

There's probably a 50/50 chance that it's dun four. :(

- the TMSFGJAEUPGWMSFFWELCFB

yep...toast...now its a death metal paperweight :headbang:

good thing its just a crappy pedal that you can get on ebay for like $20....

now imagine if it was a vintage digitech whammy...ouch....

MrFast said:
What you did is the equivalent of Shaq penetrating a tiny asian chick. Death to the latter.

That's a pretty god analogy tharr, but I prefer the good old PWNED like a n00b analogy.... even though thats no analogy.

Taking a 16v plug to a 9v pedal is the equivalent to your pedal being a person with 3 balls and kicking really hard in them. (I just wanted to think of a good one.)

If you know anyone knowledgable with electronics and circuit stuff then get them to fix it. Otherwise u'll have to pay heaps for someone else to do it.

I'm currently fixing my friends marshall sv-1 and it's kinda got me stumped atm cos its a fairly complex circuit.

If you want to have a look yourself then first of all have a look to see if any resistors have died. You will know cos they will be black and burnt. The 2nd thing to check is if any electrolytic capacitors have blown (last of the easy fixes). These capacitors are the big black cylinder things with a grey stripe down the side. If they are blown they'll either be fully blown out or have the bottoms half blown out like the ones in the one I was fixing. To replace them just have a look at the value on the side (eg: 10uF) and just solder on a new one. Thats a start, but it is quite a hard task. If you want to start a fix project then post on www.diyguitarist.com cos thats the forum I go on (under the same name) and the website owner is quite knowledgable on a lot of guitar and amp electronics.

Eternal Dragon said:
If you know anyone knowledgable with electronics and circuit stuff then get them to fix it. Otherwise u'll have to pay heaps for someone else to do it.

I'm currently fixing my friends marshall sv-1 and it's kinda got me stumped atm cos its a fairly complex circuit.

If you want to have a look yourself then first of all have a look to see if any resistors have died. You will know cos they will be black and burnt. The 2nd thing to check is if any electrolytic capacitors have blown (last of the easy fixes). These capacitors are the big black cylinder things with a grey stripe down the side. If they are blown they'll either be fully blown out or have the bottoms half blown out like the ones in the one I was fixing. To replace them just have a look at the value on the side (eg: 10uF) and just solder on a new one. Thats a start, but it is quite a hard task. If you want to start a fix project then post on www.diyguitarist.com cos thats the forum I go on (under the same name) and the website owner is quite knowledgable on a lot of guitar and amp electronics.

LOL...it would cost like 2x more than what the pedal is worth to fix it...not to mention theres a really good chance that the IC chips are fried which are usually the first things to go when theres a voltage surge..

seriously look at this ebay auction...

http://cgi.ebay.com/DOD-Death-Metal-Guitar-Distortion-Pedal-Xlnt-Cond_W0QQitemZ7391900376QQcategoryZ41416QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem