Just fried my Maxon overdrive

lost_within

Apr 24, 2006
UK
I was stupid and put a Line 6 adapter into my maxon od9 because it ran out of batteries, and I smelt burning and it hasn't worked since. I took it to my local shop to have a look at it and they couldn't even be asked to open it up, said it was fucked basically. So I was wondering if this issue is fixable. If not i'll go for another, possibly an od808, I know these 2 are very similar, what do you guys reckon? My Dual rec hasn't sounded the same since.

i blew a phase 90 the same way. felt like an idiot.

i tried fixing it myself, but it was a bitch to desolder all those tiny parts on the circuit board. at least the ones that needed replacing (those multi-legged chip things). in the end it was just easier to buy another, and i upgraded to the EVH 90

Haha. Did that with a DOD Death metal pedal back in the day. Wasn't too upset honestly. I'm sorry to hear you fried a nicer pedal! Honestly, I'd probably just get another one if I were you.

I would bet JBroll can fix it easily. Or post pics of the insides and see if he can tell you what you can do on your own. Hell, he may even get you to send it to him for repair :p

~006

Haha, another annoying thing is I can't actually open it! 2 screws just won't work with the screwdriver, even though the other 2 did, so weird. The od808 isn't a true bypass like the od9, apparently there are ways to chnage it etc. It just made "chugga chugga" riffs sound a lot heavier, it sounds so lifeless now, as if it was almost clean!!

Chances are you just have to replace the opamp, which is a pretty inexpensive part. Hell, while you're at it, get a better opamp than you already had in there. It'll be better than it ever was!

I did EXACTLY what you did with mine... By I , i mean I lent the pedal to someone and thats what they did!!!

Youve probably fried the diode... itll cost you about 48 p and two minutes with a soldering ironing to fix.. its near the top and is black with a line on it, if it looks Brownish and the writing is faint youve DEFINATLY blown it... fear not it was doing its job

This is for a POD or something? (The ps)

Or an actual ps from one of their stomp pedals?

do you have any sites in the uk that sell clone pedals and parts? if so you could probably give them a call and see what they have to say

Not that I know about.. They have to get Maxon's from France, that's why barely anyone sells them here. I'm gonna get an OD808 next week, and I'll stick with the broken one until something comes up.