OK, late to the party, I know, but Cynic is INCREDIBLE!

I don't like King of those who know and Adam's Murmur (unfortunately, they played both in Cologne this week), the rest is pretty amazing I have to say.
Yeah, you will have to get over those vocals and right now I'm discovering the full greatness of the Focus album, which is definately a lot heavier!
"Celestial Voyage" and "I'm but a wave to..." has amazing riffage.

I just ordered Focus. Can't wait to crank it on the new speakers! :headbang:

Focus is probably one of my favorite records of all time. I went into the new album thinking it was going to be very different and more mellow, so finally hearing the new album I was pleasantly surprised to find heavier songs on it. I love the more jazzy aspects of the album and Sean Reinert is great and will always be one of my favorite drummers.

traced in air holds no candle to focus nor will it be anywhere as influential as focus nor should it be anywhere near a top 08 list. there were plenty of releases out that that raped, pillaged, and burned traced in air (see: the maniacal vale, melancholie2, dark space iii, chaining the katechon, utp, taake s/t, corpse of rebirth, peisthanatos, krallice s/t, malignant, massive conspiracy against all life, assassins, groza, eternal kingdom...)

you're about 18 years too late, too.

traced in air holds no candle to focus nor will it be anywhere as influential as focus nor should it be anywhere near a top 08 list. there were plenty of releases out that that raped, pillaged, and burned traced in air (see: the maniacal vale, melancholie2, dark space iii, chaining the katechon, utp, taake s/t, corpse of rebirth, peisthanatos, krallice s/t, malignant, massive conspiracy against all life, assassins, groza, eternal kingdom...)

you're about 18 years too late, too.

Oh look everybody, it's phildo's malignant alter-ego, Little Nicky! Could there REALLY be TWO pretentious, narcissistic windbags out there ready to A2M/gape their sphincters of opinion and unleash their noxious effluvium upon all unfortunate enough to share proximity?! What are the odds?!!

Seriously though... where would we all be without pathologically insecure little internet-fascists like phildo and our boy Nick here to tell us all what to think, who to listen to and what opinions we should hold?!

Oh the anarchy that would ensue... :Smug:

Go fuck yourself you narrow-minded, myopic little douche.

lol how is that myopic, do you even know what myopic means

myopic

–adjective
1. Ophthalmology. pertaining to or having myopia; nearsighted.
2. unable or unwilling to act prudently; shortsighted.
3. lacking tolerance or understanding; narrow-minded.

Please read number 3 and ask yourself the same question.

a. you said 'narrow minded' right before 'myopic,' making you redundant and an idiot
b. not liking an album you do doesn't make someone narrow minded
c. if you have to reach all the way down to the third definition you probably should have used a better word anyway

a. you said 'narrow minded' right before 'myopic,' making you redundant and an idiot
b. not liking an album you do doesn't make someone narrow minded
c. if you have to reach all the way down to the third definition you probably should have used a better word anyway

A. Well, had you actually read the full definition, it also means lacking understanding, so that wouldn't exactly be the same as "narrow minded", now would it, Tolstoy? English comprehension just ain't your thing, is it, Skippy?

B. Telling someone that their personal opinion is WRONG, then listing an entire litany of stylistically similar bands that YOU believe someone ELSE should prefer is not only narrow-minded, it's pretentious as FUCK. You're 0 for 2 so far, Frodo.

C. The different definitions pertain to different usages in different contexts, moron, not order of relevance. Jeezus... your English teacher hung herself, didn't she?

how do people like roadking not get banned from here, just going on a personal attack. btw, none of the albums I listed sound remotely alike other than melancholie2 and peisithanatos. are you a close-minded fool? traced in air is basically aeon spoke or gordian knot with fucking growls. it doesn't hold a candle to focus. nothing that masvidal ever releases anymore ever will, because things like that happen once in a lifetime. it's like saying opeth is incredible because you heard watershed, but never listened to mayh/sl/bwp/deliverance.

not to mention that i never stated your opinion was wrong. learn how to read. i simply stated that there were plenty of albums that pillaged traced in air, and it doesn't deserve to be anywhere near a top 2008 in metal list. because it doesn't. masvidal and reinert set a precedent with focus that they simply couldn't reach on this venture and they really never will again. you joined this forum 2 months ago or some shit and you're going to call me a pretentious, narrow-minded prick? are you shitting me? I've seen literally hundreds of shitstains like you come and go from here in the 3 years I've been a member, and the 2 years before that that I was lurking here.

where the fuck is nfu when you need him. he might have been a pretentious, half-metal-hating jerkoff but at least he knew his shit, and he wasn't being a pseudo-pretentious fuck like all these other new "enlightened" members are.

:erk:

Come on everybody...

can_t_we_all_just_get_along.jpg

traced in air holds no candle to focus nor will it be anywhere as influential as focus nor should it be anywhere near a top 08 list.

Okay, so RoadKing said that Traced in Air is a contender for best of '08, and you said his opinion was wrong. With you so far....

not to mention that i never stated your opinion was wrong.

WAT???

:zombie::zombie::zombie::zombie:o_Oo_O :guh:

fourlightsel9.png

Pointless arguments.

I love Cynic. I love Focus. A few years ago, I wouldn't have dreamed about seeing Paul and Sean performing under the moniker Cynic ever again, let alone releasing new material.

Traced In Air showcases a matured band that has progressed on so many levels and luckily also progressed from the huge disappointments they had to tackle following the release of Focus. An album that was just way beyond its time.

I love Traced In Air. It's sincere and they're passionate about it... and that heavily transcends into their live performance as well (they're responsible for one of the most intense and beautiful concert experiences I've ever had). I'd rather have this, than a memorial act that's just rehashing Focus over and over just for the sake of a few $$.

Oh look everybody, it's phildo's malignant alter-ego, Little Nicky! Could there REALLY be TWO pretentious, narcissistic windbags out there ready to A2M/gape their sphincters of opinion and unleash their noxious effluvium upon all unfortunate enough to share proximity?! What are the odds?!!

Seriously though... where would we all be without pathologically insecure little internet-fascists like phildo and our boy Nick here to tell us all what to think, who to listen to and what opinions we should hold?!

Oh the anarchy that would ensue... :Smug:

Go fuck yourself you narrow-minded, myopic little douche.

Whoah dude, calm down. You seem to care FAR too much about this, the internet isn't completely serious. And sorry, but Traced In Air isn't the best in 08, but you are entitled to your opinion of course (as am I, before you launch into another epic rant).

Traced in Air is pretty different record from Focus, but I don't see the use of comparing their quality.

I do think that the new Cynic is among the best of 08, but I must also admit that I have heard less than 10 good albums released this year. (Not that this was a bad year, but I just haven't been very interesting in getting albums released this year)

OK, I finally succumbed to the peer pressure and picked up Cynic - Traced In Air... HOLY FUCK, what have I been missing?!!

Well, about 15 years ago, Cynic released Focus, which represented a nice leap forward in the death metal scene. It was great then and it's still great now. Fast forward to the year 2008, Cynic releases Traced In Air. Not nearly as big of a step in the right direction as Focus was, but it's still a cool gimmicky album, and it's cool to see Cynic back at it for my own selfish nostalgic purposes. But, as so many others have said, it's not really even close to the top of 2008. You're entitled to your opinion, but it's clear you're not nearly as versed in modern metal as most of the posters in this thread.

NicholasD offered a nice list of some truly innovative modern bands, and you rejected them on the basis of them being stylistically similar? (Let's just revisit the irony in fact that you think Traced In Air, which is basically Focus Part II - 15 Years Later, is the best of 2008). Once again, it's clear you have a very minimal grasp on the relevance or history of metal music. It's almost as if you're only here to defend your ability to voice your opinion. How about finding something to say?