OK, late to the party, I know, but Cynic is INCREDIBLE!

You're entitled to your opinion, but it's clear you're not nearly as versed in modern metal as most of the posters in this thread.

How about finding something to say?

He should say GFY with your elitist attitude....

Can you tell that I really dislike this type of person?
Are you related to Ken or a new username of his? :rolleyes::lol:

I'm elite because I'm smart enough to know that Traced In Air is a mediocre re-visitation of Focus? Wow, you're easy to impress.

Traced In Air is as much a Focus Part II as Watershed is a Morningrise Part II... :rolleyes:

If anything, TIA sounds like a heavier version of Aeon Spoke. A logical progression from what they've been doing for the last 10+ years.

Yeah, trying to sound like Aeon Spoke seems like the logical progression for a band that made one of the most groundbreaking metal albums of the 90s.

Why are they "trying" to sound like Aeon Spoke? They ARE Aeon Spoke... Of course, this transcends into Cynic. But still, this feels like a Cynic record to me. The vibe, the lyrics... it's honest. I am so glad that they didn't go down the safe route by trying to copy Focus. Because that would have been a disaster.

You don't like it? Fine. But being "versed" in modern metal has absolutely nothing to do with the appreciation (or lack therefore) of this record. :rolleyes:

It's not nearly as innovative as Focus? That's perfectly right, but since when does innovation equal quality? Focus is foremost such a great record because of the quality of the songs that still stand the test of time.

Why are they "trying" to sound like Aeon Spoke? They ARE Aeon Spoke... Of course, this transcends into Cynic. But still, this feels like a Cynic record to me. The vibe, the lyrics... it's honest. I am so glad that they didn't go down the safe route by trying to copy Focus. Because that would have been a disaster.

You don't like it? Fine. But being "versed" in modern metal has absolutely nothing to do with the appreciation (or lack therefore) of this record. :rolleyes:

It's not nearly as innovative as Focus? That's perfectly right, but since when does innovation equal quality? Focus is foremost such a great record because of the quality of the songs that still stand the test of time.

Aeon Spoke and Cynic are separate entities. Since when does innovation equal quality? Since people got tired of hearing the same album being put out time and time again. Focus is great because it's well done and innovative, it would not have stood the test of time had it been another run of the mill metal album, kind of like Traced In Air.

Can't resist.

Jackson_popcorn.gif

focus owned because you couldn't understand the shitty lyrics because the robot effect was all distorted. traced in air blows because the vocals are up in the mix and the robot effect is closer to that awful r&b vocoder sound, not to mention the growls sound like someone farting. if traced in air was instrumental it would be hundreds of times better

I'm elite because I'm smart enough to know that Traced In Air is a mediocre re-visitation of Focus? Wow, you're easy to impress.

That wasn't impressive... How young do you have to be to think it was?

I see you're having a busy 1st day in the forum... :)

All the power to you and your terrible elitist attitude...
We all know what that usually means about a person... :OMG:

Well, about 15 years ago, Cynic released Focus, which represented a nice leap forward in the death metal scene. It was great then and it's still great now. Fast forward to the year 2008, Cynic releases Traced In Air. Not nearly as big of a step in the right direction as Focus was, but it's still a cool gimmicky album, and it's cool to see Cynic back at it for my own selfish nostalgic purposes. But, as so many others have said, it's not really even close to the top of 2008. You're entitled to your opinion, but it's clear you're not nearly as versed in modern metal as most of the posters in this thread.

Again, I don't give a shit what your or anyone else's OPINION is of Traced in Air. What I said was that it was easily one of the best of '08... FOR... ME..., not for YOU, not for phildo, little Nicky, Frodo's Goatse or anyone else. Please explain for me how you or anyone else gets off telling me or anyone else what our own personal tastes are without coming off like a total narcissistic, insecure douchenozzle?! It would be no different than me telling you that you're an idiot who doesn't know what you're talking about because your favorite color is red instead of blue! The difference between us is that one is expressing a personal opinion, and clearly stating it as such, while others are actually presuming to try and tell someone else what their opinion should be! This actually doesn't look, smell and taste like utter assbaggery to you? AMAZING!

NicholasD offered a nice list of some truly innovative modern bands, and you rejected them on the basis of them being stylistically similar? (Let's just revisit the irony in fact that you think Traced In Air, which is basically Focus Part II - 15 Years Later, is the best of 2008). Once again, it's clear you have a very minimal grasp on the relevance or history of metal music. It's almost as if you're only here to defend your ability to voice your opinion. How about finding something to say?

Again... Nicky and now YOU are offering your OPINIONS, stating them as facts, and acting like elitist snobs to anyone who disagrees with you. Who the fuck are you to tell me or anyone else what to like or think you fascist dick?! And freaking puhleeze... the "history of metal music"?! :lol::lol::lol: Listen to yourself and tell me you can't practically CHEW the sanctimonious pretense wafting off of that steaming pile of hypocrisy! Yeah, OK, I'm not up on Cynic, I think I pretty much explained that in the title, now... tell me what in the blue fuck that has to do with what I like to hear?

Well... ya got something to say about that, jackass, or is your foot blocking your epiglottis?!

Jeezus... ya know what... nevermind. Spare me the idiocy and join the rest of the troll n00bz in ignoreland.

Fuck where did all these idiots come from?! :lol:

I don't get you megamoose, half your posts are sarcastic and un-naive, but the other half are stupid dork comments in response to the sarcastic, un-naive posts of others

i dont get you frodo, half your posts is boring and the other half is boring too