Ok so how do you do??? Amp recording question??

mrevol

?????????????????????????
Oct 22, 2007
NorCal
Ok guys--so if I reamp 2 tracks (L and R) thru one amp and then the same performance thru another amp and try to blend, they make a very nasty distorted sound. I tried moving one of the amps recordings milliseconds forward and back---still nothing. What am I doing wrong?

I've done this before and it came out awesome. Not sure what you're doing wrong....? Pardon if this sounds dumb, but - are you turning all the tracks down once you have 4 playing? Are they just clipping or not blending right?

Not clipping at all--- I tried different levels

Just weird phasing thing or something?????

BTW---I did multiple amps and some distort while blending and some make it sound like their playing through a tube (if that makes sense hehe)

I've discusses this with some ae before and apparently it's due to the phasing etc between pre amps and latency etc on the power amps! Try tracking through the same power amp section. So on the other amp, fx loop out into the fx return on amp one :)

Really---that kinda sucks cause then I can't utilize the amps complete tone. So there's no way to do this??

BTW---I did multiple amps and some distort while blending and some make it sound like their playing through a tube (if that makes sense hehe)

"playing through a tube" = phase issue, correct? manually sliding the tracks doesnt help you say? I kinda like a little bit of that fatter sound when the tracks are slightly off.

try with flipping the polarity or get a plugin that can rotate the polarity inbetween 0-180°!

Zoom in on the waveforms, see if you can find any reasonably clear transients in both tracks and line them up perfectly.

Zoom in on the waveforms, see if you can find any reasonably clear transients in both tracks and line them up perfectly.

This.

When I did it, it was before I had my interface, and I did it ghetto and probably shouldnt have. But, it worked and I blended a Mark IV and 5150, dual tracked, only copied and pasted each one so it was one of each amp on each side and lined the tracks up manually and it came out great!

Yeah there are some amps that will be totally out of phase with each other, just gotta line them up.

And now you understand why I need a PT HD rig:lol:

Some daw (cubase user here) can't do the job well when you talk about dual amping (same DI through different amps).
Face this problem every day and everything in the chain are correct (amp in phase through same cab, same mics...etc). Get same problem with parra comp btw.

So welcome in ADC world nightmare:lol:

I have pro tools hd and the ADC isn't correcting the problem. I think this is just more of a tracking issue with amps.

Anyone that has done it with success I would love to hear how you did it.

Is everyone just moving the tracks around?

Only re-amp one track (take) at a time. Phase will always be an issue with this situation unless you have a little labs phase box that you can perfectly align the phase.

Then why don't you just turn off the ADC? It's the button on the top left with tool tip saying "constrain delay compensation", it looks like a clock with () around it.

Main problem is: cubase isn't phase coherent as I can see...
Need to try to turn off ADC...

I have pro tools hd and the ADC isn't correcting the problem. I think this is just more of a tracking issue with amps.

Anyone that has done it with success I would love to hear how you did it.

Is everyone just moving the tracks around?

Never had any issu with PT for dual amping so you have an out of phase amp imo

Lasse post on this thread would be cool...