ok so i got logic and...

aramism

Dec 2, 2006
New York, NY
www.myspace.com
it is like a totally different world. it is as illogical as can be. it took me 6 hours how to use the metronome and i couldn't find it in the reference book so i called their tech support and tried asking them how do i "tap in the tempo" they were like "well we've never really encountered that" but eventually i had to set up a key command for it and it's mad weird. i still haven't figured out how to set a click track to an existing recording. i found some tutorial on youtbube by typing in "logic pro metronome" but i can't find the damn metronome in the track mixer. very very odd. i've had it for like 2 weeks already and with the limited time i've had i'm very very weak in it so far. by my own admission i haven';t had time to the read the book that came with it but after working on cubase and sonar for years i figured i could plug and play at least basic stuff with logic. it seems to me that a lot of the things on any other daw that would be considered "basic" are like solving a puzzle in logic.

i'm gonna cop the student version of cubase i think for now so when i'm working with bands i don't look like an asshole flopping around like a moron on logic. who knows maybe i'll return it. i was so excited when i first got it, but now it's just flat out frustrating.

sorry bud, can't help you.... you have said what i have told everyone on this forum already... Logic is the most illogical DAW i've ever seen, lol. it's just unnecessarily cryptic, and once you've finally learned it and can work comfortably there's no "payoff". i'm sure the logic users here will chime in but you are what i'm talking about.. a new user who's used other DAW's..... you see i've been saying exactly.... and it's not like Logic is cheap. ouch.

to Logic users... i don't care... it's a bastard program that's a bastard to learn and in the end what do you get that's so fantastic? some cool V.I.'s? i'd rather just pay for the V.I.'s i want.

lol.... let the partisan ranting begin.

I use it and like it James doesnt. Fair enough. There are parts of it that are still alien to me but those are bits that Ive never had cause to use. If you want some constructive help with it give me a shout

it is seriously quite cryptic, I find so much of it just counter-intuitive... but hell I use it along with PT, DP, Cubase, and Live

yea well i mean thehy shoul just rename it to "Illogic"

it's like learning a language literally. every other "major" daw follows similar guidelines where it's not that hard to pick up after a while if you're fluent in how DAWs work and their enviroments. logic goes against this. whatever i paid good $$$ for it so whilei might get cubase as well for now for production i still would like to learn logic fully because i am up for a challenge.

in the meantime if someone could help me with this tempo nonsense. i'm used to simply tapping in the tempo and changing it based on tapping it as well. i got it to tap by setting a keyboard command (i used the ~ button) but it either adjusts the pre recorded audio to the new tempo (since it is recorded in default to the preset 120 bpm)

also let me explain what i'm trying to do. the band i'm recording now i had them play all their songs live after we worked out all the arragenemtns and i wanna create a click track for when we start tracking next week. there are some minor tempo changes in the song which i would like to put in there but once again it's so difficult to set up even a basic steady tempo and moreover tapping in the tempo i want it to change it to. i'm not a human metronome you know....

someone help please

You might want to check into this ..... there is actually a couple of videos that tell you what to do to get you conform a click to the music:
Online Seminars
There is also some kewl stuff on there - if you need it.
I use Logic Pro and ProTools. I will say that i am fairly comfortable in Logic, and there are certain things that I wish were more like ProTools. Audio editing & routing within Logic (IMHO) is the biggest setback. But I will say there are some pretty nifty features that (I don't think) are in ProTools.
I love both DAW's - and will probably use both side by side for a while.
But then again - I also use Ableton quite a bit too .... so I am kind of a whore with DAW's!

in the meantime if someone could help me with this tempo nonsense. i'm used to simply tapping in the tempo and changing it based on tapping it as well. i got it to tap by setting a keyboard command (i used the ~ button) but it either adjusts the pre recorded audio to the new tempo (since it is recorded in default to the preset 120 bpm)

also let me explain what i'm trying to do. the band i'm recording now i had them play all their songs live after we worked out all the arragenemtns and i wanna create a click track for when we start tracking next week. there are some minor tempo changes in the song which i would like to put in there but once again it's so difficult to set up even a basic steady tempo and moreover tapping in the tempo i want it to change it to. i'm not a human metronome you know....

someone help please
actually you really should work out what tempo each part wants to be during the preproduction stage, not after.... then you can build your tempo map and record the arrangement as is... afterwards you can simply cut and paste (perfectly since everything is on the grid) and try out different arrangement ideas to you heart's content... this is the cornerstone of pre-production to me... all other pre-production elements... vocal melodies and harmonies, guitar melodies, keyboard pads and textures and melodies... etc, etc., are the dressings that are placed on the "bedrock" of the final solid arrangement. if i were you i'd seriously consider changing my pre-production method to include trying out and deciding on the perfect tempo for each section.... just record the song in on stereo track with a couple room mics or whatever.... but do it to the click... then if afterwards you decided to change the arrangement you simply cut and paste and shuffle the parts around.... and further, if you then decide one part or the other needs to be a slightly different tempo you can either simply time-compress/expand the part to see how it will work at that tempo or just punch it there and replay it. you seem to be taking quite the long way 'round the fence with your method.

but for this one it sounds like you are where you are... so, if you need to find a tempo using a tap function and you don't want the audio to move around simply make sure the audio's timing is set to sample-based and not tick-based... or use a tap tempo generator outside of your DAW.. in your case you can use the Mac OS X BPM Widget....

or grab this suite of Audio Tools Widgets:

which has a tap tempo tool as well as a few other useful audio production widgets.

hope that helps.

i find logic very easy, it just seems like it's hard at first. The Environment is what confuses people.

get the logic level 1 book and go through every exercise. You'll be golden in like 2 weeks. Logic has some kick ass features, and i think it's worth getting the training books to learn it.

thanks guys. i will check on all the great links all of you helped me with tommorow afternoon as it is almost 3 am here in new york and i just got in after a night out with a couple of friends. once again thanks by tommorow night ill be able to chedk out all the links and suggested resources.

aram

Sooo ..... are you thinking about the switch to Logic Studio? I was thinking about this thread earlier, and was curious what your take on this new version is. Thanks

actually i mean im still learning the sequencing and stuff in logic 7...

i figure i want to totally master 7 before upgrading to 8... even though 8 is dirt cheap...

plus i am like 80% donw working with a band now producing them so i wanna wait until im done so i dont make an ass of myself...

i tried logic 8 out...
ick.
one of my friends who has been using logic for years as a pro said..
"well, im switching to pro tools"

Hmmm.... I hated Logic 7 but I'm loving Logic 8. It's really amazing software and the rest of the industry has some catching up to do. Still not decided if I will switch from DP, as DP still has some weird-ass features that I love, that no other program has. The summing is DEFINITELY better in Logic, as is the overall UI though...

I just got my copy in. Sadly, I haven't installed it .... yet!!
We are in the process of unpacking - we have been moving over the past couple of weeks .... and we've got (3) children (so you can imagine that I have my hands full!).
I gotta say that I am pumped up about LP8 .... but I haven't tried it (first-hand), and when I di I shall report my humble opinion to you fine folks.
I know there is some buzz on other forums - in regards to some of the new features in Logic Studio .... guess I'll find out soon enough.
I hope it'll magically make my mixes sound as good as the new Chimaira album (love it!) ....
ok ... back on topic!