OK, You guys are TOO good.

ptgeek911

Nov 7, 2006
I have been listening to a lot of you guys making DFH and EZD sound fucking amazing. My question is, how are you doing it? I have been messing with EZD now, and can get decent stuff out of it, but your guys' stuff is just so heavy, how are you doing it?

practice practice practice.
If I compare the works I did 3 years ago with dfh1 and vamp with the works I actually do....it's night and day.
So...if you have just started to play with ezd, works with it and everyday you'll find new sounds, new eqs, your ears improve and consequently You make progress :)

I have been listening to a lot of you guys making DFH and EZD sound fucking amazing. My question is, how are you doing it? I have been messing with EZD now, and can get decent stuff out of it, but your guys' stuff is just so heavy, how are you doing it?

Samples do it for me :p

I agree with XeS and the others, I've had Drumkit From Hell Superior since summer '04, and only in the past year have I really gotten the feel of programming beats. Mainly, the years since owning it, I've had to learn all I could about drumming (different styles, beats, the cymbals, etc..etc..) Actually, owning DFH is what got me into learning more about production and recording, because DFH is just like mixing a real set.
A real drummer is the ultimate upgrade, but for a lot of users, DFH, and EZD are some of the best tools to work with to get realistic drums without having to wait around for a drummer.

I am also super impressed with people's stuff here! I'm blown away at the production of dudes' home recordings. Mainly with respect to the drums and overall mixes/masters, but there's some killer guitarists here too.

However, I'm not moved enough for me to go and drop the $$ on any Toontrack stuff and then spend my time [which ain't too plentiful] to learn it [especially when it appears that it takes a LONG time to really nail it], only for me to make a couple of one-man songs with it that will end up on my soundclick for 3 people to listen to anyway. I'd rather just write more songs, and get better at guitar.

For drums, and despite some recent posts I've made, I'm actually becoming content with using what I got at this point [fruity loops, hotstepper, my keyboard, rhythm rascal, beta monkey loops, nabbed drum solos off the net, hand drums, whatever else I have laying around] for drums to make my little scratch songs. If anything, I may even go backwards in technology and get another Boss DR-550 like I used to use simply because I can write well with it.

Well, that's what makes me sleep soundly at night, anyway!

I am also super impressed with people's stuff here! I'm blown away at the production of dudes' home recordings. Mainly with respect to the drums and overall mixes/masters, but there's some killer guitarists here too.

However, I'm not moved enough for me to go and drop the $$ on any Toontrack stuff and then spend my time [which ain't too plentiful] to learn it [especially when it appears that it takes a LONG time to really nail it], only for me to make a couple of one-man songs with it that will end up on my soundclick for 3 people to listen to anyway. I'd rather just write more songs, and get better at guitar.

For drums, and despite some recent posts I've made, I'm actually becoming content with using what I got at this point [fruity loops, hotstepper, my keyboard, rhythm rascal, beta monkey loops, nabbed drum solos off the net, hand drums, whatever else I have laying around] for drums to make my little scratch songs. If anything, I may even go backwards in technology and get another Boss DR-550 like I used to use simply because I can write well with it.

Well, that's what makes me sleep soundly at night, anyway!

Very valid opinion. That's one way to do it - and you are right about a lot of people getting completely immersed in the recording side and stopping to create (if they ever created).

shit...i just drag/drop the premade EZD loops, then open the MIDI editor and change them up as needed to fit whatever i'm doing

Upload some of your stuff and maybe we can help you that way?