Are there ANY Slate cymbal samples that are good?

*sigh* and i kinda liked this place... So I guess noone should ask questions cuz its all been asked before. Guess I'll just hang in the off topic tavern from here on out.
Those that helped me thank you those that didn't:
4181291211_4866dcd0df.jpg

well, the good news is that SSD4 has true stereo OH's with no need to stereo pan.. and the cymbals sound amazing.. But I gotta say from listening to the above band that SPTZ posted, and listening to thousands of demos with my kits, I don't think the SSD3.5 cymbals are bad at all... in fact I really dig hi hat 2 and 3 quite a bit, and both rides sound good to me. If you are making custom kits, you'll have to balance the dry vs room levels pretty well to get the proper air.. and you'll also have to pan.. They also need some eqing for hard rock.

Sorry to go off topic, but SPTZ, whats the story on the band above and how were the drums done? Amazing mix and great band, love the singer and the song is kickass. PM me if you don't want to fuck this thread up.

Thanks Steven, I sent you a PM.

The thing with SSD cymbals, IMO, is that when you hear them on their own they don't sound anything special, what I did for example in the Evarose stuff was to not only send the cymbals to a verb buss obviously, but to use a lot of SSD Room on them, that was the key to help them shimmer and sustain through and breath with conjunction of the drums. Little tricks like, I believe the hihat is panned like 90R, for example, have the Hihat on the SDD Room panned at like 50R or less, so all cymbals cover a bit of the stereo field. But yeah, it's all about the room there!

well, the good news is that SSD4 has true stereo OH's with no need to stereo pan.. and the cymbals sound amazing.. But I gotta say from listening to the above band that SPTZ posted, and listening to thousands of demos with my kits, I don't think the SSD3.5 cymbals are bad at all... in fact I really dig hi hat 2 and 3 quite a bit, and both rides sound good to me. If you are making custom kits, you'll have to balance the dry vs room levels pretty well to get the proper air.. and you'll also have to pan.. They also need some eqing for hard rock.

I only have the SSX EX, but from those I haven't found a good open hi-hat to get the kind of Tommy Lee type sound that you hear on beginning of Limp Bizkit's "My Generation"

I am retarded. I just realized that I purchased one of the expansion packs (the Rock Essentials Vol 1) and never installed it. There are some nice cymbal and hi-hat sounds in there in addition to snare 3 which, when paired with 11A is kick ass!

I also think it comes down to the room here - I've been experimenting non-stop the past few days, and honestly - I think I may be coming around here. Still working on it, but - getting closer.

I just don't get people who buy the "light" or "ex" version of software and because it doesn't have the best sounds they complain that shit sucks. I have the plat version and to be honest 90% of the drums I use came with EX. I also use the drums that come with the "metal" pack.

If you didnt do your research on the sounds you liked and which pack they came with before you purchased you have noone to blame but yourself.

Steven, is there going to be cross-grade pricing on the new SSD?

Getting excited now.. When can we expect to see SSD 4 released? I bought the EX and Metal and More, on a no brainer.. Any chance a cheap-ass like me will get a discount on upgrade as well?

I'm surprised Steven didn't suggest this... One of the keys to getting symbols to sound nice with SSD is to compress them separately from the rest of the kit. Steven explains this process on his site. Might be helpful to you...

http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1626

I made the SSD library in a way that allows the user to get polished, finished sounds with little to no fuss.

However, compression can really enhance the drums, if you know how to use it properly.

Lets start with the CLA Hybrid kit, here is a little demo with just the preset default:

http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/test/CLANoComp.mp3

This sounds good as is, but lets tweak it. I'll send the NRG Room, the SSD Room (for this kit only the snare was in the SSD Room), and all the cymbals minus the hi hat to a bus or group. On this group I'll add a FET compressor at 4:1, medium to slow attack and very fast release. I'll take off about 4-6 db. Now the cymbal decay has been brought out, and the room's character is really enhanced.

Next, I'll add the group back in with the kick, snare, hat, and toms. This combined drum mix will go to ANOTHER compressor, again I like FET 1176 style, and I'll use a very slow attack to let a lot of the transient in, and a very fast release, with about 4 db of compression.

So now the drums are really sounding big, and the resonances and room tones are more present. Last, the whole drum mix (along with the rest of the mix if this were in a song) go to a VCA mixbuss comp. Medium slow attack, fast release, and just moving the needle a bit to glue the bottom a bit and add some upper midrange focus.

And the result is this:

http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/test/CLAComp.mp3

again with no compression:

Steven

I have both SD2.0 and Slate EX. But, I am running into the same issues as PattonFreak1 - while I love the sound of ToonTrack's OH's paired with kit pieces from SSD, that combo violently rapes my CPU. If I could get away with JUST using SSD that would be an ennormous gain for me.

The cymbals here seem very dry which creates a huge gap in quality with the kit pieces which are pre-processed. Are the cymbals just poorly recorded, or maybe just poor quality cymbals were used int he making of? I seriously don't know. I've tried everything from routing the cymbals to their own room channel to simulate an actual OH track, to retarded amounts of EQ, to you name it. I just can not get them to work for me. There has to be a trick to them....

Yep, it does indeed fuck your CPU with both running.

Cool tip: If you're programming cymbals in S.2 and you think they're all set, render them to stems and get rid of Superior drummer. That's how I do it.. And it saves a ton of space!

I just don't get people who buy the "light" or "ex" version of software and because it doesn't have the best sounds they complain that shit sucks. I have the plat version and to be honest 90% of the drums I use came with EX. I also use the drums that come with the "metal" pack.

If you didnt do your research on the sounds you liked and which pack they came with before you purchased you have noone to blame but yourself.

Steven, is there going to be cross-grade pricing on the new SSD?

The soapbox is breaking under your immense weight - please get off it. :heh:

The EX packs contain the kit pieces we want. However, the cymbals, while useable, are a bit lacking in comparison to other commercial products. A thread to ask for tips to get the cymbals a little better sounding seems reasonable.

I'm surprised Steven didn't suggest this... One of the keys to getting symbols to sound nice with SSD is to compress them separately from the rest of the kit. Steven explains this process on his site. Might be helpful to you...

http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1626

I made the SSD library in a way that allows the user to get polished, finished sounds with little to no fuss.

However, compression can really enhance the drums, if you know how to use it properly.

Lets start with the CLA Hybrid kit, here is a little demo with just the preset default:

This sounds good as is, but lets tweak it. I'll send the NRG Room, the SSD Room (for this kit only the snare was in the SSD Room), and all the cymbals minus the hi hat to a bus or group. On this group I'll add a FET compressor at 4:1, medium to slow attack and very fast release. I'll take off about 4-6 db. Now the cymbal decay has been brought out, and the room's character is really enhanced.

Next, I'll add the group back in with the kick, snare, hat, and toms. This combined drum mix will go to ANOTHER compressor, again I like FET 1176 style, and I'll use a very slow attack to let a lot of the transient in, and a very fast release, with about 4 db of compression.

So now the drums are really sounding big, and the resonances and room tones are more present. Last, the whole drum mix (along with the rest of the mix if this were in a song) go to a VCA mixbuss comp. Medium slow attack, fast release, and just moving the needle a bit to glue the bottom a bit and add some upper midrange focus.

And the result is this:

http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/test/CLAComp.mp3

again with no compression:

Steven

Thank you very much Matt - really helpful stuff! :kickass:

Yep, it does indeed fuck your CPU with both running.

Cool tip: If you're programming cymbals in S.2 and you think they're all set, render them to stems and get rid of Superior drummer. That's how I do it.. And it saves a ton of space!

Agreed - I have been doing this with the hybrid mixes lately - Kontakt with just kit pieces running isn't too bad at all! Thanks Nick!