E-Kit + DFH EZD

Sure...Here's one taken apart...It's nothing more than piezo hot-glued to the mute, a Radio Shack project box and a mono jack...That white piece of foam was something I had laying around the garage so I stuck it in there to kind of backup the piezo....and take up space so the wires weren't just floppin' around...

cymbalguts.jpg

ok...I see what you're seeing now...You're looking at the ride cymbal with the wires running through the bell...Yup...That was for another trigger that was the bell...I bought a plastic practice cymbal and cut the bell out of it...Mounted a piezo to it and screwed it to the top of the ride cymbal...That way I had separate bow and bell triggers...

This was about the only thing that I couldn't get working as well as I'd hoped (it was just too noisy and chewed up stick tips) and I ended up replacing that setup with a Roland CY-12...A little pricey but, very functional...

Good luck with it DSS and anyone else who gives it a shot...I had a lot of fun making it and the community of folks that are into this sort of thing are very helpful...Check out the Roland V-Drums forum, lots of info and alternate ideas there...You might see something you like better....I just took the best ideas, IMO, I could find and combined them...

All you have to do is get that piezo shaking without cracking it and you've got a trigger...It's very easy to do and once you get a few under your belt you'll see how ridiculous it is for Roland to charge $5000 for a set of V-Drums...

It might look fragile but, I assure you, I've beaten the crap out of these things and my repairs to date, after about a year and a half, are a re-solder of a cymbal lead and a new rubber edge for the snare....

and yes guitargodgt...I bought one of these...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=444924

cut the bell portion of it out glued a scrap piece of mute to it and it sat on top of the ride cymbal bell for a bell trigger...You could also use those as your e-kit cymbals if you wanted to, it's a very popular way of doing it...

I have a doubt regarding the pads...
When you hit the pads, your midi "hits" have a variable velocity like a human hiting or there are some default velocity variations (ex. hard hit and soft hit only).
I explain: if you hit the snare 4 times, your midi hits can have 95 92 97 96 as velocity or they will be 95 95 95 95?
Sorry for my stupid explanation :\
Thanks

Well I bought this:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/drumandguitar_1924_11284573

It's not anything great but I no longer have the acoustic set to convert like you have shown (that would have been a killer setup) so I went this rout. Triggers are pretty good you can go rubber :puke: or mesh heads. I will try to post some stuff up later. I have a feeling I am going to have the same issues that EA did with his though regarding the hi hats.

The pads are extremely good at translating the velocities of the hits. You can trigger any velocity you wish, from 1 to 127 and everything in between. The only limitations on the variants in sounds is due to EZDrummer itself...and that's really not that much, haha. The module and pads send the velocities you hit, it doesn't just pick a set one and send that one only. That's why you can do ghost notes, blast beats, all kinds of shit and it ends up being realistic because you have to hit the pad much like you would a real snare to get the same sounds out of it. On blast beats the snare hits are lighter, which triggers between 85-95. Then for regular parts the typical hit is between 110 and 127, which does trigger different samples for the "full-on" hits like that. You can do like 12 different ghost notes depending on your initial hit's velocity.

Long-story short...it translates much like a real snare drum/tom would, only with the obvious differences.

~e.a

Hey ea i got a better idea then stuffing the shells with pillows. Just get some of those mesh pratice heads :D trigger those and run oh's for the cymbals.

The pads are extremely good at translating the velocities of the hits. You can trigger any velocity you wish, from 1 to 127 and everything in between. The only limitations on the variants in sounds is due to EZDrummer itself...and that's really not that much, haha. The module and pads send the velocities you hit, it doesn't just pick a set one and send that one only. That's why you can do ghost notes, blast beats, all kinds of shit and it ends up being realistic because you have to hit the pad much like you would a real snare to get the same sounds out of it. On blast beats the snare hits are lighter, which triggers between 85-95. Then for regular parts the typical hit is between 110 and 127, which does trigger different samples for the "full-on" hits like that. You can do like 12 different ghost notes depending on your initial hit's velocity.

Long-story short...it translates much like a real snare drum/tom would, only with the obvious differences.

~e.a

Do you have the same limitations with DFHS? (If you have tried with dfhs)