Okay... 3 requests in one. Get your thinking on.

False Joe

Who cares.
Oct 12, 2007
Sheep fucking land somewhere.
1. Melodic Death. Finally accepted that yes, I do like melodic death. Basically came from listening to both Amon Amarth and Arch Enemy regularly and consistently thinking "This is freaking awesome". Though I don't think they sound the same, but maybe that's the vocals that throw me off.

2. Swedish (Brutal?) Death. I also noticed that some of my favourite bands are Swedish. So yeah, some swedish death metal.

3. Lyrically battle. Music like Amon Amarth that inspires with feelings of battle. If you play a bloke Vahall Awaits Me and he doesn't want to pick up an axe and a sword and start slicing away, he ain't a man. So yeah, lyrical content of the battling kind. More leaning towards a death metal sound than a 3 inches of blood sound.

Thanks, and start getting recommending.

Sounds like what you want is....Amon Amarth? only band I can think of that's got melodic deathiness, brutality, and inspires you to take someone apart with a battle axe.

Better melodic death = The Gallery by Dark Tranquility. But neither brutal nor battle-y.
Early Entombed is good swedish death. Dismember.
Check out Unleashed.

Melodic Death:
Eucharist
At the Gates

Swedeath:
Dismember
Entombed
Grave
Unleashed
Nirvana 2002
Seance
(Early)Therion
Carnage
Edge of Sanity

Battle inspiring metal:
Deströyer fucking 666!

EDIT: InFlames, I don't want all three in one. I want recommendations for each type. Cheers for the recs you made.

I wanted recommendations for each thing, not one band that incorporates all three.

Cheers lads.

Keep it up.

In before me and CC, who are big brutal death metal advocates, and we both highly suggest both Soils Of Fate and MP5K.

melodic death: I've said this before and I'll keep saying it until everyone gets sick of it and starts listening to them. Kalmah. :headbang:

Swedish death metal: meshuggah is, I believe, swedish. They're not death metal as such but some of their songs definitely have roots in DM.
Have a look at Bloodbath too.
I suppose I should be recommending In Flames, as a melodeath fan. But I won't, cos I don't like em.
As for metal with battle themes... Bolt Thrower is all about war, though mostly modern. Obviously, battle metal like HammerFall and Blind Guardian (probably wrong about that, cos I don't listen to either much) will have epic battle songs. Pick up A Matter of Life and Death by Iron Maiden if you want some truly awesome war associated music.

melodic death - most of its AIDS but some At The Gates stuff is ok.
also Hypocrisy.

Swedish death - AAAAAAAAAAHHH MY FAVORITE!!!

Unleashed
Grave
Entombed/Nihilist
Cemetary
Dismember
Desultory

for battle oriented stuff, you can't go wrong with Bestial Warlust

Amon Amarth - Sorrow Throughout the Nine Worlds
Amon Amarth - Once Sent from the Golden Hall
Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus (Not swedish but nonetheless awesome)
Amorphis - Tales from the Thousand Lakes (again, not swedish but nonetheless awesome)
At the Gates - The Red in the Sky Is Ours
At the Gates - With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness
Cemetary - An Evil Shade Of Grey
Dark Tranquillity - Skydancer
Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
Dawn (Swe) - Nær Solen Gar Nider For Evogher
Dismember
Edge of Sanity - Crimson
Eucharist - A Velvet Creation
Gates of Ishtar - A Bloodred Path
Hypocrisy (Swe) - Osculum Obscenum
Hypocrisy (Swe) - Penetralia
Molested - Blod Draum (Not swedish but nonetheless awesome)
Necrophobic (Swe) - The Nocturnal Silence
Opeth - Morningrise (not death metal, but superb)
Sacramentum - Far Away from the Sun
Sacrilege (Swe) - Lost in the Beauty You Slay
Sentenced - Shadows of the Past (Finland)
Sentenced - North From Here (Finland)
Therion (Swe) - Beyond Sanctorum
Unanimated - Ancient God of Evil
Unleashed (Swe) - Where No Life Dwells
Unleashed (Swe) - Shadows in the Deep

I have yet to hear Across The Open Sea so I can't really recommend it. Anyways, that should be a good start.

Mathiäs;6780876 said:
For battle metal: Bal-Sagoth! Can't get more epic that that.
Nah, if it's the epic quality of battle metal you're after, listen to Turisas.

I haven't actually heard any Bal-Sagoth

For lyrical content, go with Bolt Thrower.

For Melodic Death, go with Dethklok, Hypocrisy, Quo Vadis, Nightrage, Dimension Zero, Dark Tranquillity, Intestine Baalism, Kataklysm and Fragments of Unbecoming.

Swedeath has already been covered, so recs from me would simply be redundant.

EDIT: InFlames, I don't want all three in one. I want recommendations for each type. Cheers for the recs you made.
Oopsies...

Melodic Death:
In Flames, Dark Tranquility, At The Gates, Kataklysm, Kalmah, Wintersun, Arch Enemy

Dimension Zero kinda sucks

Battle-y stuff: Turisas, Blind Guardian, Ensiferum, Bolt Thrower, Bal-Sagoth

Old1Eye mentioned A Matter Of Life And Death by Iron Maiden. While the whole thing is about war, I kinda doubt it's what you're looking for. Also, that album is simply bloated with excessive choruses and whatnot.