Okay, here it is, my band - White Lighter

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Hi all -

I mentioned this a long while back...but have finally posted a track to check out. It's not the final mix, which is why I was waiting, but I figured what the heck....it's in a good enough state to post. I'll post a couple more tomorrow.

Some quick details -
Band - White Lighter
Track - Outside the Prison
Recorded at Sharkbite Studios in Oakland, CA
Band members:
Jay Dickinson - Guitar, Vocals (me)
Patrick Regan - Drums, Vocals
Kenny Blake - Bass

We went for a live-ish sound, and old school too, so there is no dubbed guitar track behind the solo for instance...just bass. Strictly old school. It's not CRUNCH metal or anything...very much rooted in the past. Yes, the guitar solo is long as all get out, but that's our vibe. We consider ourselves a mix between, say, Thin Lizzy, Sabbath, and jam bands like the Allman Brothers or Grateful Dead. Patrick sings this one, but I'm lead singer on some of the songs (again, I'll post more).
Our record is finished, but for the final mixdown, which we've delayed for various reasons (Kenny's mom died, Patrick moved into a new place, and I had a short vacation).

The final mix will eliminate a few minor things (some flat singing in the far background, rough drum 'splats" etc.)

On the whole I'm proud as hell of it, and it sounds the way we wanted it to.

Here's the link:

http://www.garageband.com/mp3player?|pe1|S8LTM0LdsaShZFS_am0

Or go here, and click on "Outside the Prison" on the right hand side, middle of the page:
http://www.garageband.com/artist?|pe1|WszTMELdsaSlYVG1Yms

I checked out the first minute and then it froze on me, but I liked what I heard. Obviously not the Andy Sneap school of production, but for an old school sound, I dig it.

Garageband is going to be closing down in a few weeks so I would create a video and upload it to youtube. Their quality nowadays is quite good and you'll get more hits.

This sounds great. I love this. Very well done. It has a very special vibe that I really love. Some very good 70s feel here.

I am sure Carnut will go 70snuts over this as well.

Oh man I really dig that groove during the guitar solo. You are not trying to show of like 100000000000000000 other guitarists but give the song some atmosphere.

The choir behind the solo I do not like! :bah:

Just drums, the bass groove and the guitar is more than enough. Trust me.

Looking forward to hearing the album.

Wow !! You ARE OLDSCHOOL !! Guitars remind me a bit of ZEP (not a copy by any means) and the vox are also late 60's early 70's. I also have to say my old pal Hawk is dead wrong on this one, as far as the vocals in the solo. I think they are cool as hell. I don't listen to very much stuff from the era that this came from anymore, so this is actually very refreshing.

Bryant

Haha, it's nice of you guys to listen, and even argue over it!

Thank for the heads up on Youtube Brandon. For now the file is up just to share with folks here (and some facebook friends). When our final mixes are in place we will try to figure out something a little more serious for distribution. We have a small list of labels we'll try for (Rise Above, things like that)...but ultimately will be happy just to print it ourselves, put it on iTunes etc. We'll see. There are no pie in the sky hopes in the band, just a bunch of level headed guys who did this for the enjoyment of music. Not that it would be a bad thing to get an independent label to put it out. We'd love that. We'll see.

I'm keen to hear what Carnut and Soundmaster think too, as their taste is pretty similiar to my own...

I wrote all the songs on the album, incidentally.

I hope I do not come across as arguing. I was just fooling around a bit. Bryant is cool as fuck! Everyone knows that.

Looking forward to hear what carnut and Soundmaster have to say. And I would love to hear the album because it really sounds good.

I hope I do not come across as arguing. I was just fooling around a bit. Bryant is cool as fuck! Everyone knows that.

Looking forward to hear what carnut and Soundmaster have to say. And I would love to hear the album because it really sounds good.

Haha, no, I was just being sarcastic. I just liked that you had opinions of any sort. I gathered it was all in good fun. We've held our cards pretty close to our chest in the band, so this is the first time people are really hearing this. So, I'm thrilled to death that one person said, "...this part doesn't work for me," and another said, "...dude, leave that part IN!"

Makes it all feel a little more real.

No I am not wrong. I really don't like the vocals in the solo. Really. ;)

You are absolutely right that you are not wrong my friend. The beauty of art is that it is all personal taste and I completely respect yours. I worded that the wrong way Henri and I apologize. ^___^ You don't like the "chorus" and I do. Neither of us are right nor wrong, but it is simply our unique opinions.

Bryant

No you were being an asshole !! As punishment, you now have to listen to the new Vanden Plas 10 times as punishment !! :D

Bryant

PS..... ElectricWiz let me know when there is something else available. I have even put your link on other forums.

WTF? I turn my back a minute and this turns into a kindergarden? Henri and Hawk to the corner, now! :loco: Jay, you're suspended two weeks for causing the riot :tickled:

OK, breaktime is over, on White Lighter and the song

This sounds great. I love this. Very well done. It has a very special vibe that I really love. Some very good 70s feel here.

I am sure Carnut will go 70snuts over this as well.

Me too, most definitively :hotjump:

The choir behind the solo I do not like! :bah:

Just drums, the bass groove and the guitar is more than enough. Trust me.

Looking forward to hearing the album.

I may had not been pay the proper attention but I didn't found any choir in the solo, what I did found is an undoubtedly 70's prog vibe towards the outro. I'm also looking forward for the recording. Great stuff J!

I'm going to post two more songs tonight. Some live shots of the band. We are a bunch of squares:

27224_379454915788_198502175788_3611333_7514238_n.jpg

27224_379454910788_198502175788_3611332_236952_n.jpg

Good for you, but I will leave it at that. I don't want to take this thread over on a different subject...... especially when I really dig that song. EW has a cool vibe going on there.

Bryant

He sure has!

I'm going to post two more songs tonight. Some live shots of the band. We are a bunch of squares:

Yea but a bunch of fucking cool squares! :lol:

I think E-Wiz just found an obscure early 70's record and picked a song out of that!! Hehe, sounds damn like original 70's stuff indeed. I want to hear (and buy ofcourse) the album when available !!!!