Okay i think i'm gonna like it...

raythetse

Where am I?
Jun 17, 2005
at first i didn't think i was gonna like the new album as much as the old SX stuff... the clips didn't seem to be of anything terribly original or interesting to me...

but listening to serpent's kiss... gotta say, that song kicks my ass now, so I hope that I just needed to hear the others clips in the context of the greater songs to 'get' them. If the rest are as awesome as Kiss, then it'll perhaps be their best yet!

can't wait!

Serpent's Kiss is indeed a stellar track, and quite "new" for symph x. Definate tool/symph x hybrid sections going on, but in a very good way. Russ stands out particularly in this track. His vocal work during the verse sections in 5 is simply perfect. So powerful. Can't wait to headbang to this track at BB Kings

i'm not familiar with tool at all... i don't even know if i've ever heard them... but yeah it definitely sounds like tool

Finally, someone who agrees with me that it sounds like Tool.
I totally caught the Tool sound from one or two of the riffs. *shrug* I liked it.

I'm really pumped for the album after hearing this stuff. It's good to see that they can mix their really heavy side with really great melodic stuff like they used to do.

Serpent's Kiss is indeed a stellar track, and quite "new" for symph x. Definate tool/symph x hybrid sections going on, but in a very good way. Russ stands out particularly in this track. His vocal work during the verse sections in 5 is simply perfect. So powerful. Can't wait to headbang to this track at BB Kings

Great I won't be the only fan from this forum to headbang at the BB King in 9 days!!!:headbang:

comparing Serpent's Kiss to Tool is laughable. there's only a few notes in there that sound anything like a Tool riff. it's only the first phrase of the main riff. Serpent's Kiss is light years beyond anything Tool is doing. i doubt Romeo was sitting around listening to Tool when he wrote that riff.

As soon as somebody's favourite band is compared to a band they don't like, that person gets offended and tries to deny any relation between the two, usually by insulting the non-favourited band. For a more mainstreem band, Tool is one of the better ones. At least they write music in odd time signatures and actually have creative ideas every once in a while.

And nobody sounds like them. That's why I enjoy them.

If you can show me a band who sounds like Tool but isn't tool, then I'll give you a free internet.

As for the riff in Serpent's Kiss, I'm not really hearing it.

Ptah, it's not a BLARING similarity, but the verses in 5, and the vocal phrasing within them is kinda reminiscent of Vicarious. Don't ge me wrong, Serpent's Kiss >>>>>>>>>> Vicarious