Paradise Lost not the best album

Its heavier yes, but i think it needed to be for the story of the album...

plus its good to sound different! something not many bands can do each album...so next album should be another surprise.

i have to say though, i do miss the 20 min long songs though :(

Its heavier yes, but i think it needed to be for the story of the album...

plus its good to sound different! something not many bands can do each album...so next album should be another surprise.

i have to say though, i do miss the 20 min long songs though :(

If you miss them then go listen to them. Theirs only 2, and they're not going away or anything.

:headbang:

i dont know what the big deal with circus maximus is

i have listened to both their albums (there are just 2 out there right?) and i must say they are very talented (musicianshiply(lol) speaking) but i dont like the song-writing very much. i get really disappointed when the song starts with cool riffs and proggy stuff but then comes to a complete acustic melt down when the verse starts. i may be wrong but according to what i remember, more than half the songs have in their verses acustic riffs with "romantic" vocals and i just hate that.
im more down to gamma-ray type of vocals, that just stays agressive and melodic always (or at least in the majority of the song).

id really like to hear that kid sing with balls. that would be a great band.

just my opinion

;)

I would like to see another big epic tune by Symphony X, though. Odyssey and Divine Wings are just so great, and TTLG is a nice mini-epic. I just love songs that take you on a journey.

+1. Since the band is several years past their last huge epic song now, it would be great to hear what they could do at this point in time.

I love film score music, and Symphony X's epic pieces are like that with the added bonus of great metal.

I haven't read yet this entire thread I started but come on guys some songs from Paradise Lost sound too comercial and the album as a whole it's clearly non-polished despite the huge amount of time they had to do it. I remember hearing a song don't remember the name but it resembles a bit of Stratovarius.
Seriously guys it seems that our beloved band Symphony X is getting more commercial and that can't be good.

Are you fuckin' smoking crack? songs sound non-polished? o_O Holy shit! have you ever listened to black metal? Paradise Lost sounds like fuckin' backstreet boys compared to black metal (for all those offended by this, it's clearly a joke).

Everyone has his/her own opinion. For anyone who cares one whit, "Paradise Lost," IMHO, is the greatest album ever recorded, in any genre, in any style, anywhere in the universe. Symphony X, unlike bands like Kamelot, don't do the same album every time. You don't know what you're going to land up with when you buy their new CD. I LOVE that about them. If I ever buy a CD from them and can say "That song sounds a lot like a song from Diving Wings," for example, I will stop buying. They do NEW each and every time. They get born again with every release. If this next album doesn't surprise me, they will hear about it. Because it's why they are my favorite band. Not to mention that each and every one of them are INCREDIBLE. And I hope JAX tells them I said so. They rock, they rule, and they sit alone atop the heap. If that's not cheesy enough for you, let me know, I have lots more...............

one word to say : THE MIXING .
the keys are so damn low for SX !!! too bad for such a great work from Pinnella
PLs' atmospheres and moods kicks ass but it could be done so much better imo , the sound of the keys gave a good wall of sound - like atmosphere but i believe there are moments where that just made the songs sound like too much guitar oriented .
what pisses me off about PL is not the album it self but the fact that it come that close to surpass all what they have done before ... but it didn't :/

PL was actually meant to be a heavy, 'in your face', riff-driven album. If the keyboards were that low in V or in Twilight in Olympus then I'd complain, but as far as mixing/production goes I find PL to be a very well done record.

Here's hoping the next one will maintain the production quality and the musical ingenuity while being a bit less 'in our faces'. ;)

PL was actually meant to be a heavy, 'in your face', riff-driven album. If the keyboards were that low in V or in Twilight in Olympus then I'd complain, but as far as mixing/production goes I find PL to be a very well done record.

Here's hoping the next one will maintain the production quality and the musical ingenuity while being a bit less 'in our faces'. ;)

I dunno man, even so, the songs sometimes lack that compositional oomph. Even when it gets more ballady like the title track, it has an almost Kamelot feel to it, if you take out the odd time signatures. Where's the intricacy, I ask you? :headbang:

I dunno man, even so, the songs sometimes lack that compositional oomph. Even when it gets more ballady like the title track, it has an almost Kamelot feel to it, if you take out the odd time signatures. Where's the intricacy, I ask you? :headbang:

Yeah I have to agree with that.

If I had to make a list of SymX albums in order of musical preference, PL would probably come 4th. But as far as production goes, it would be the first.

I especially like the way the drums and the bass sound and are mixed. I also liked the improvement (over previous albums) in how the orchestral stuff sounds and blends in the mix, and I think everything is at the right level.

I personally would prefer a different (more organic, less "digitalized", less saturated) guitar tone though.

Yeah I have to agree with that.

If I had to make a list of SymX albums in order of musical preference, PL would probably come 4th. But as far as production goes, it would be the first.

I especially like the way the drums and the bass sound and are mixed. I also liked the improvement (over previous albums) in how the orchestral stuff sounds and blends in the mix, and I think everything is at the right level.

I personally would prefer a different (more organic, less "digitalized", less saturated) guitar tone though.
i totally agree with that so far the best SX album in terms of production especially the drums they never sounded better before and i mean it when i say never , the orchestrations are crystal clear . however , i still think the keys are too low , i think an aggression (which is very welcome for me especially cause it fits th lyrics perfectly in the case of PL) doesn't mean necessarily a guitar riff driven album ( i think they already tried that with the The Odyssey ) , i can't of Opeths' Ghost Reveries as better example ( notice here that for both PL and GR the same man did the mixing ) .i 'll have to give more accurate examples but i don't have the time for now , so lets just focus on "Set The World On Fire" : the track begins perfectly ( speaking of th key sound ) and than what happens at 1:03 ??!! may be it s just about taste but i think that a bit too low .
another weakness on PL - i think - , is some parts where the drums become too predictable and too power-metal oriented . i am not a big fan of the "unnecessary intricacy" , all i care about is that the music sounds good and fits together with the lyrics (and again it may be a matter of taste ) but i think some extreme metal drum patterns could have given to PL the aggression it needs without sounding a bit cheesy in some moments ... grooves are good but it s may be not enough :/ ....

All I know is...I definitely wouldn't expect them to take the same approach with the new album that they did with PL. That would be a first for the band and that would fucking floor me.

For the record, I would be pissed as hell if the production were the same that it was on PL. There are almost no dynamics in that towering wall of sound. Everything is turned up to eleven and there are almost no breaks in the amps.
And bringing Mr. Pinnella back into the mix would be nice.

Sure I love some of the songs on PL(and by love I mean 3 or 4). They just need to stop forcefully bleeding the issue. Romeo and most notably Russell sounded especially forced. And that just isn't their element. Subtlety and varied textures make for far more colorful soundscapes and that is where their brilliance shines.

Uriah Heep did "Return To Fantasy" in 1975 and SX need to do "Return To Prog Wizardry" in 2010.

I don't expect them to and I would be fine with a more dynamic and varied album as they have already hinted at. More songwriting credits from the other guys could only be an asset too.

As I rank them:

Music

The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
The Damnation Game
The Odyssey
Twilight In Olympus
V: The New Mythology Suite
Paradise Lost

Production

V: The New Mythology Suite
Twilight In Olympus
The Odyssey
The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
The Damnation Game
Paradise Lost

Paradise Lost still rocks though and SX will always be my favorite band. :headbang:

Written in the stars for me.....

I just want to comment on this. I think Paradise Lost has lost some quality in respect to the other Symphony X albums. To me it seems like rushed and non-polished, despite all the years they had to make it. I expected something better. There's not even a long song. I think the only songs that are really good and well-polished are Set the World on Fire and The Serpent's Kiss, and there's no coincidence that they've chosen them to make the videos.
However, I think Mike Romeo's s solos and Russell's vocals are more awesome than ever, as we are always used to.
What do you think?

:erk:PL can't be compared to their oldest albums, because it is different, and that's a good thing, i don't think they want to get stuck to the same style/sound. you probably find it non-polished because it doesn't have as much keyboards as you would expect from a symphony x album. but yea another epic song would be nice :cool: