Paradise Lost not the best album

I want to thank the poster of this topic.
I am REALLY sick of people saying Paradise Lost is their best album. It's not. Not even close.
Paradise Lost has it's moments of brilliance but overall is just not as amazing as Divine Wings or V. Hell I'll still probably even take The Odyssey over it as well. The band have really sacrificed a lot of the textural brilliance of the past. Where are the keyboards on half of the songs? The songs are much more focused on Romeo's riffs and not at all around the majesty of Pinella's keys. Also, Russell Allen has the greatest voice on earth, he needs to lay off of the really harsh vocals. In doses it's great, as it was on tracks like Inferno. However it gets a little old here.

It's simply a matter of opinion...it was obviously produced with a different feel and intended to be heavier...why do bands have to hash out the same thing over and over...fans always complain...it's either, "why did they have to change their style" or "they just keep doing the same thing"...how can anyone win?

Some people must have some pretty acute ears because to me it just sounds like more Symphony X. I hear all the same elements I have always heard. I think people need to put away the micrometer

I love PL and listen to it on a regular basis... but as many have said, including myself, I would prefer their next album to incorporate both styles; heavy, but more epic and more melodic at times... oh, and more prog. I want longer and more creatively crafted song structures/sections, and I'd like Russ to use both vocal styles (including at LEAST one falsetto moment). I want Rullo to show off his drum skills in different styles than just metal too (see Opeth). Anyway, whatever Romeo and crew do, I'm sure I'm going to love it, and I'll definitely support it. :headbang:

As long as this band, and others like it, are still around, these discussions will ALWAYS be there. Bands can't please every fan/armchair creative consultant. There is no right & wrong in this. Either people like/hate/get used to the band's musical direction, or they don't. I'm with them for the long haul, and MJR seems to be true to his metal roots, and won't be swayed by a record company to produce a more accessible record. When I first heard samples of V from the mailing list website, I was shocked by the lack of balls & chunk that I became accustomed to hearing. I like V, but it's nowhere near my top 3...

Russells one of the more aggressive metal vocalists out there. He even summons up plenty of grit on his solo album. Then in other songs he uses other aspects of his voice. Russell is the man. If anything I'd like to hear them come up a with newer/different twist on the SX thing, kinda of like a new discovery for them, but one thing I do like is that I feel... though different than old school metal, they still show the old school influence, advanced, but its there, to my ears anyhow... if that makes any sense... or if anyone agrees with what Im talking about.

for the guy who wanted recomendations I would certainly put Circus Maximus in the highest regard. Only 2 albums but they are both pure quality. Andromeda is another great choice. You might also wanna check out Spheric Universe Experience. They arnt as good but they have some great songs and some really technical stuff. The vocals could be way better though

as far as PL, its not their BEST but it is one of their most consistant as far as overal level of quality throughout songs. I love DWOT but some of the songs on it I really dont care for (like Pharoh) while others are like some of my all time favorites like Shadows, Ashes, and CF. V is probably my overal fav though since Rediscovery is the greatest song ever made :p

Now, if only Russell were more into metal roots. Or metal, period.:erk:

Russell's voice is the reason I got hooked on Symphony X in the first place. If he was raised on/mainly influenced by metal, I don't think his singing voice would have taken on the same qualities as it has. If Russell had roots in metal as opposed to his roots in classic rock, blues, Kansas, etc, Symphony X would come off sounding (upon initial listening) like any other prog-power band out there, albeit with better musicians. Russell is one of the key elements that keeps Symphony X unique, and makes them something other than just another "METAL :headbang:" band.

Russell's voice is the reason I got hooked on Symphony X in the first place. If he was raised on/mainly influenced by metal, I don't think his singing voice would have taken on the same qualities as it has. If Russell had roots in metal as opposed to his roots in classic rock, blues, Kansas, etc, Symphony X would come off sounding (upon initial listening) like any other prog-power band out there, albeit with better musicians. Russell is one of the key elements that keeps Symphony X unique, and makes them something other than just another "METAL :headbang:" band.

Agreed, Russell and his singing is definetly one very essential part of Symphony X. Wouldn't be the same without him.

What is he into, showtunes? Damn...he's one fine singer...best in the biz IMO. He's doing just fine.

Russ is a classic rock kind of guy. As far as I know, he doesn't listen to metal at all. Listen to his solo album, Atomic Soul, and you'll really get a feel for his style of music.

I think one of (if not the) best part of Symphony X is how well Russ's bluesy rock voice works over the neo-classical riffs and stylings of the rest of the band. Russell's bluesy depth is what sets Symphony X apart from 95% of the progressive/power metal bands that have high-pitched girly singers.

What is metal anymore anyway...there are too many styles, offshoots and genres to say someone is a metal singer or not. Everyone is a metal singer, no one is a metal singer...a good singer is a good singer.

Putting stuff to genres sucks. There's only good music, alright music and bad music. Same goes for singers or whatever.

I think PL is far from their best album but also far from their worst. The heavier stuff to me just kinda sounds standard for metal, although the musicianship is immaculate.
I love the second half of the album, Eve of Seduction is probably my favourite song on the album with Seven and Walls Of babylon also being fantastic.
Set The World On Fire to me sounds like a heavier version of Inferno but not really as special. Domination and Serpents Kiss to me really are average songs, they just don't speak to me much at all. I also find the balads to be of lower quality then on previous albums. I also find it hard to listen to more 3 songs from this album in one sitting, this may be due to the production being a wall of sound all the time, theres not much dynamics.
Also not really a fan of Mike's 'wah-wah mayhem' all the time, I long for the 'pre-V' days where he used his wah pedal scarcely just to give some colour to his solo's, now its just overkill.

Despite my problems with this album I still think its a good listen, even the bad parts aren't really that bad. I guess I just miss the melody from earlier albums.

I want to thank the poster of this topic.
I am REALLY sick of people saying Paradise Lost is their best album. It's not. Not even close.
Paradise Lost has it's moments of brilliance but overall is just not as amazing as Divine Wings or V. Hell I'll still probably even take The Odyssey over it as well. The band have really sacrificed a lot of the textural brilliance of the past. Where are the keyboards on half of the songs? The songs are much more focused on Romeo's riffs and not at all around the majesty of Pinella's keys. Also, Russell Allen has the greatest voice on earth, he needs to lay off of the really harsh vocals. In doses it's great, as it was on tracks like Inferno. However it gets a little old here.

Ah, what the heck do you know anyway? :p :heh:

I love Paradise Lost. I always hate to judge something as "the best," but I will say it is currently my favorite SX CD. I still listen to it a lot. The songs were awesome live. It will be interesting to see where they go next.