Paradise Lost not the best album

I love alllll the albums, just not Twilight so much.

The only song I don't have a particularly soft spot for on PL is Domination, but I still love it.

Considering I hate most music and I'm really hard to please, I think this makes my opinion far more valid than anyone else's.

(I'm kidding)

Not the best?? Did it really have to be the best?? PL is brilliant metal album...PERIOD. The orchestral parts are fuller and richer than ever before. The choirs parts are that much more powerful. Russ belted some songs right out of the stratosphere and then helped bring it all back in check with the fewer (2) more subtle numbers. Romeo devastated with the attitude factor cranked on full. The band delivered in full and it's a really solid record in Symphony X's already healthy repertoire.

I'm thankful there wasn't a long song pushing over 15 minutes. On Paradise Lost it would have just seemed superfluous and out of place. The length of the songs with the more riff oriented approach was just what was needed. This album, yeah I say album I'm old so sue me, is more focused on knocking you on your ass. It's loaded with power. Balls and Chunk...Paradise Lost has it by the truckload. Oh and it sounds that much more badass live. The band just steamrolled through their live sets. It was fast and furious but it's what was needed with Paradise Lost being what it was.

Like it or not, Paradise Lost has taken the band to a higher level and expanded their fanbase. And that, my friends, is a good thing for the band's future. :headbang:

Not the best?? Did it really have to be the best?? PL is brilliant metal album...PERIOD. The orchestral parts are fuller and richer than ever before. The choirs parts are that much more powerful. Russ belted some songs right out of the stratosphere and then helped bring it all back in check with the fewer (2) more subtle numbers. Romeo devastated with the attitude factor cranked on full. The band delivered in full and it's a really solid record in Symphony X's already healthy repertoire.

I'm thankful there wasn't a long song pushing over 15 minutes. On Paradise Lost it would have just seemed superfluous and out of place. The length of the songs with the more riff oriented approach was just what was needed. This album, yeah I say album I'm old so sue me, is more focused on knocking you on your ass. It's loaded with power. Balls and Chunk...Paradise Lost has it by the truckload. Oh and it sounds that much more badass live. The band just steamrolled through their live sets. It was fast and furious but it's what was needed with Paradise Lost being what it was.

Like it or not, Paradise Lost has taken the band to a higher level and expanded their fanbase. And that, my friends, is a good thing for the band's future. :headbang:

Have a few extra copies of PL to sell, Glenn? A little overstocked? Haha. J/K, I agree. PL is definitely an amazing experience. Great for driving, and after the hundreds of listens, I still haven't gotten tired of it. I do hope, however, that the band reintroduces more prog and longer songs and all that good stuff on their next release. Either way, I'll be pleased :headbang:

I love paradise lost, although I feel the best album all around is definitely V. However paradise lost is bone shatteringly brutal and excellent in musicianship at the same time. The best songs are Occulus, The Walls of Babylon, and Domination. The solo section in seven is very awesome too.

Great band, great ALBUM. While DWoT probably tops their discography for me (i.e SMHFO), I couldn't have said it better myself...:headbang:

Am I the only one who doesn't find the lack of an epic, 20-minute song depressing? There are only so many times you can write a brilliant musical piece that lasts that long. After awhile, it just becomes taxing. I think a long song on Paradise Lost would be out of place. And I hope the next album doesn't have one either. Let's see what Romeo can do in overall short-form songwriting, then let him write another epic.
I would say "See my post" but it was just a laughing-my-ass-off smilie. To hate an album just because "there aren't any long songs" can only be answered in one way:

:lol:

V is absolutely my favorite...I never tire of it. Paradise Lost is a heavier, meatier album and I would assume that was the intention...great album, just different....best? I can see where it would be for some....more metal and less pixies & fairies dancing about....good stuff!

I wouldn't say it was terrible or anything - I don't think SX ever did anything I thought was terrible. That said, I probably like this one the least. It seemed (to me) way less technical, way less melodic and just didn't have the polish of some of their other stuff. The 'singing' (although only the title track would qualify as singing) was way too gruff for my tastes - too much yelling and screaming and not enough singing.

I think I read somewhere that PL was a great selling album for them and for that I say - 'way to go guys, you deserve it'!

They obviously had to appeal to the people who buy music in order to sell the most copies - targeted marketing. Not a bad way to go, for sure, but I'd love to hear something a little more sophisticated next time and not something just for kids.

My 2 cents.

V is absolutely my favorite...I never tire of it. Paradise Lost is a heavier, meatier album and I would assume that was the intention...great album, just different....best? I can see where it would be for some....more metal and less pixies & fairies dancing about....good stuff!

:lol: Exactly, your absolutely right in everything you said right but actually PL has the most pixies and fairies flying around out of all their albums... or angels or whatever you call em haha just watch this:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's very rare you find albums as good as Paradise Lost in metal, or in any type of music for that matter. The musicianship is excellent, and it's heavy and aggressive yet melodic and complex. Overall, it just has almost no shittiness and altogether impressive performances by all five musicians - just a high quality album all around. Maybe not a masterpiece in the same way V might be, but damn good by any standards (also, unlike almost all other prog, it doesn't sound like a bitch-boy is singing it). Only complaint I have is with the cheesy lyrics that Symphony X had as usual. Forced rhyming couplets are really lame after a while. :erk: (Crucifier...spitting fire)

And as for the lack of a 20-minute song...Revelation kicks so much ass that every one of its minutes is worth two. What's with the need for super-long songs in "prog" albums? To make a song as epic as Revelation in 9 minutes, now that's impressive.

I wouldn't say it was terrible or anything - I don't think SX ever did anything I thought was terrible. That said, I probably like this one the least. It seemed (to me) way less technical, way less melodic and just didn't have the polish of some of their other stuff. The 'singing' (although only the title track would qualify as singing) was way too gruff for my tastes - too much yelling and screaming and not enough singing.

I think I read somewhere that PL was a great selling album for them and for that I say - 'way to go guys, you deserve it'!

They obviously had to appeal to the people who buy music in order to sell the most copies - targeted marketing. Not a bad way to go, for sure, but I'd love to hear something a little more sophisticated next time and not something just for kids.

My 2 cents.

There are so many things wrong with this post.