Paradise Lost not the best album

Thanks for the replies, guys!

I have heard PoS and Shadow Gallery before. I've been trying to get into Stratovarius and Kamelot, but I can't say any of it has really grabbed me and I didn't even listen to the entirety of several newer Stratovarius albums before ditching them.

I'll check out the others you mentioned :D

Oh, and I love Planet X! And On the Virg!

If we are doing best Symph X album lists, mine would be something like this at the moment:

1. Divine Wings
2. The Odyssey
3. Twilight In Olympus
4. Paradise Lost
5. V: The New Mythology
6. Damnation Game
7. Have a guess

How can you have V so far down :cry:

I don't think I've posted my list:

Paradise Lost
TDWOT
The Odyssey
V
Twilight

The top four depend on my mood, I like all of them pretty much equally anyway. I was never a huge fan of Twilight, I think it's just the drum mix that puts me off, because yes, I am picky about how the drums sound :p

Dan - I actually was listening to Planet X and On the Virg before I'd even heard of Dream Theater. I was loaned a video of Virgil Donati back in 2000, and went on hunt for some of his music. I was very happy to have been introduced to such a fantastic drummer so early on (I'd only been playing for three years) as it completely changed my perspective and understanding of what was possible behind a drumkit!

In my quest for new music, I'm looking mostly for the quality of composition. That is, dynamics, smooth transitions, smooth application of odd-time signatures (something SX does better than DT), tasteful non-annoying lyrics. One thing I REALLY hate, is when one particular line gets repeated OVER and OVER and OVER (Another one bites the dust, for example). That is why I can't stand In the Presence of Enemies by DT, because it is SO ANNOYING.

If you're seriously in a quest for new music, try expanding outside the prog metal genre because to be honest it's a fucking shit genre. You get too many songs that sound like In the Presence of Enemies, which is a piece of crap song I agree. Try something that's different but still has the fundamental stuff you like (for example what you said- quality of composition, dynamics and shit).

Here are two completely random bands. It would be interesting to hear what you think of them cuz there's a huge difference between these bands yet they both hold (some of) the qualities you were looking for. Yet neither of them are prog metal. Also the first song has a fucking awesome video and it's funny to hear peoples reaction to a band playing... "lounge grindcore" live on a trailer on some random street somewhere :D

Genghis Tron is a three-piece experimental metal band formed in Poughkeepsie, NY and currently based out of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania currently signed to Relapse Records. Genghis Tron is noted for their creative combination of metal with different types of electronic music. Although early on the band was often classified as cybergrind, Genghis Tron has since developed a more diverse sound, which includes elements of IDM, power noise, doom, industrial, ambient, in addition to their core style of synth-laden metal/grindcore.

Lumsk is a folk metal band from Trondheim, Norway. It combines traditional Norwegian folk music and folklore with rock, progressive rock and metal. The group has both male and female vocals with violin, guitar and drums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Odyssey, DWOT, PL are my top 3 i think.

Also...Mr. Bungle, are you from the Washington DC/VA/MD area? I saw you posted on the Odins Court forum, a local band from my area with whom one of my bandmates is good friends! I'm from Reston, VA.

You're irrelevant, so how can you possibly state who is irrelevant? You've never become anything relevant to even become irrelevant, so what makes you any type of judge?

schenkadere...considering you don't know me...how can you make such statements? That type logic doesn't even work...and is self defeating...with that logic, you are also irrelevant. Good job. ::thumbsup::

Check my sig for your position in life...glad l could be of assistance. ;)

schenkadere...considering you don't know me...how can you make such statements? That type logic doesn't even work...and is self defeating...with that logic, you are also irrelevant. Good job. ::thumbsup::

Check my sig for your position in life...glad l could be of assistance. ;)

Uh...yeah. I need to know you.

Justify your statement.

Sigs are the meaning of life....you must be Einstein.