Okay, I think the people here might be able to answer this question?

i couldn't quite explain to you the boundaries of this 'genre' but i'd like to make reference to amon amarth's once sent from the golden hall, as a sort of definition.

hehe, that is exactly the same question a friend of mine wanted me to answer yesterday in a mailinglist we are in. She thought I'd would know (I'll copy and paste this):

"Hahaha, I'm not an expert myself, actually. But I'll give it a try.
The reason you cannot describe the sound of a Viking Metal band is that Viking Metal does not have a particular sound ;) (simple as that)
It's more the band's lyrics and and their believes that make them
"Viking": Norse mythology, pagan believes, nature and so on (apparently also Vikings are a common theme ;) ). Viking Metal is often seen as a sub-genre of Black Metal and it is also often influenced by Folk music - but this is not a must!
When you think about it, it's the same with White Metal which can also be found in all forms of Metal. It's only the subject of the lyrics that makes them White.
And to name a few Viking Metal bands: Amon Amarth, Menhir, Mithotyn, Thyrfing, Einherjer, Forlorn, Windir. These are all that come to my mind right now, I'm sure there are tons of others. Oh yes, forgot about Enslaved. I think it was them who came up with the term Viking Metal in the first place."

So, and now you can all laugh at me and point at my errors in the explanation. I'm sure Ziu will have to add something :p

should'nt that be some old weapon(axe,sword..etc)made of metal....hehehehehehehehehe

mr V

Originally posted by Gaunerin
Oh yes, forgot about Enslaved. I think it was them who came up with the term Viking Metal in the first place."

Haven´t the "vikningmetal"-genre grown up from the "vikingrock"-genre, with bands like ultima thule?!

So it's pretty much like folk metal? No particular style, but dealing with a general subject matter (like how folk metal can be power, black, etc.) Only the subject is more specific (vikings).

Originally posted by Gaunerin
hehe, that is exactly the same question a friend of mine wanted me to answer yesterday in a mailinglist we are in. She thought I'd would know (I'll copy and paste this):

"Hahaha, I'm not an expert myself, actually. But I'll give it a try.
The reason you cannot describe the sound of a Viking Metal band is that Viking Metal does not have a particular sound ;) (simple as that)
It's more the band's lyrics and and their believes that make them
"Viking": Norse mythology, pagan believes, nature and so on (apparently also Vikings are a common theme ;) ). Viking Metal is often seen as a sub-genre of Black Metal and it is also often influenced by Folk music - but this is not a must!
When you think about it, it's the same with White Metal which can also be found in all forms of Metal. It's only the subject of the lyrics that makes them White.
And to name a few Viking Metal bands: Amon Amarth, Menhir, Mithotyn, Thyrfing, Einherjer, Forlorn, Windir. These are all that come to my mind right now, I'm sure there are tons of others. Oh yes, forgot about Enslaved. I think it was them who came up with the term Viking Metal in the first place."

So, and now you can all laugh at me and point at my errors in the explanation. I'm sure Ziu will have to add something :p

WOW!!!
I think it`s a very good explanation that you give Gaunerin :)!

Originally posted by Rabenreich
Don't think so.Metal never really had anything to do with the Skin-scene...

Skin-scene??? eeeh....

*looks to CD shelves*
*feels happy to see Bathory's Hammerheart in it*

(granted, my CD's are all in my appartment 30km away from this accursed place, but still. I've got reeeeally good farsight ;) )