Okay, what's this thing called?

i had a radio reception adapter for a year or two that cost about $15-20, and i just purchased a cassette adapter for $20 this past weekend because i was tired of messing with it. the radio one i had had a dial-in frequency (not a digital frequencty locking like on most tuners today), and it had a lot of static/interference from cell phones and other radio stations.

i have a cassette player in my car already, but the last cassette adapter i had stopped working in the player. it'd just spit it out. that's why i opted for the radio tuner one; but it was mostly just the cassette adapter i had because the new one works fine (so far). the radio adapter is sort of "meh" on the sound since it takes the digital signal and transforms it into a crappier radio wave, but it functions without spending over $100 or more for a new stereo. for $15, it's a decent solution for the time being. make sure you get one that has power supply for the radio broadcaster and the cd player as well in case you only have one cigarette lighter, because that could cost you over $100 in batteries quick.

an example:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1063630089097&skuId=5928605&type=product

okay, what's the difference between the 39.99 belkin paul posted and the 19.99 best buy one chupe posted? the only one i see off the bat is included AAA batteries--big deal.

why should i NOT buy the 19.99 one?

xfer said:
okay, what's the difference between the 39.99 belkin paul posted and the 19.99 best buy one chupe posted? the only one i see off the bat is included AAA batteries--big deal.

why should i NOT buy the 19.99 one?

I dont know... I got mine at best buy.

okay, i went to best buy; they had a 19.99 crappy-looking one and a $49 belkin. i kind of wanted it right away so i said fuck it and bought the belkin, figuring the ability to digitally cycle through channels was key. (also, the cheaper one ONLY was powered by a cigarette lighter, of which i only have one; the belkin has battery options)

it works pretty great! once i turned the volume on the CD player up, i heard no static, and the quality wasn't (to my fucked-up ears) noticeably different than a straight CD-tape hookup. good purchase, i think.

i had the cheapo one and you're better off without it. actually, i'd send you mine but i got pissed at its lack of amazing functionality and took it apart and lost the screws. so the back is off and it's all technoid looking with the circuit board all open air like.