Oktava MK012-01 vs AKG C214

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
I've a matched pair of C214s and I'm loving it for overheads, vocals and acoustic guitars. I"m searching a second pair for overheads and I wonder if the best choice would be to pick up another pair (500€ on used market) or buy a matched pair of new MK012-01s (295€) which are great yet way cheaper.

Having the same mics around a drumkit could be more coherent, still having different mics could give interesting colors. The price gap is significant here. What would be smarter in your opinion?

I have a pair of Audio Technica ATM450 and LOVE them.
I have no problem spending money on gear and chop and change a lot but the 450s are keepers.

I do have 4 atm450s :) I use them on toms and yeah, they're great. I have no problem to spend money on gear but Oktava's are great for the price (used to have 3 of them) but as my C214s are my go to mic for OH, I was thinking about grabbing another pair instead of adding MK012s for bigger kits.

I finally go for one C214. I think 3 of them are enough to mic a kit with a large cymbal set and adding other one(s) I already have to spot mic some cymbals if it's really needed.