Old school or new school Death Metal?

Old or New School Death Metal?

• Old school (85 - 92)

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • New School (92 to now)

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Like it all.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Death Metal doesn't interest me i like STRATOVARIUS.

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Who prefers the so called "golden age" of Death Metal in the late 80's/early nineties DEATH, MORBID ANGEL,OBITUARY,PESTLENCE,DEICIDE etc or who favours the more recent technical and bruutal styles being thrown around by the likes of NILE, DECAPITATED, BEHEMOTH, CRYPTOPSY etc.
Perhaps you like it all but hey i'm sure most swing one way or the other.:)

Both eras have just as much shit as each other; the difference is that the older era's shit has settled to the bottom of the container so it appears like a golden era. Wait and see when TimeLife release their compilation, it'll all be so obvious.

The likes of Psycroptic, Nile, Braindrill and Agiel are what death metal is all about.
Anything less is just selling yourself short.

Are you serious??? You were talking smack on Sword Toward Self for their sweep picking and tapping, Brain Drill dont even have riffs, just guitar solos over drum beats with crappy gutturals thrown in.

Sword Toward Self >>> Brain Drill
The end.

Are you serious??? You were talking smack on Sword Toward Self for their sweep picking and tapping

If the only thing your band has to offer is constant wanking, at least be tight.

When I saw STS sober they weren't playing in time with each other, the guitarist's wanking was sloppy as a slagcole on a work night and demonstrated an almost complete lack of creativity. There's only so many times you can listen to sweep picking that hits the mark maybe half the time lead into and out of by unfeeling and often prematurely dead bends.

I still like what I've heard from Ironwood but they really should put Sword Toward Self to rest or at least just keep it as their dirty little secret.

Braindrill, on the other hand, are tighter than Dougie's pants and mix things up enough to keep me interested even if it's all taking place at 7 billion beats per second.

Hmm, there is no correct poll answer for me.

I like some of the early DM such as Death, Pestilence, Morbid Angel etc, and I like some of new DM stuff, but I certainly dont prefer either time-frame, or "like it all", and I dont like Stratovarius.

I like both, not sure what I like best, Morbid Angel is probably my favorite band of both eras, and old Deicide is just so intense, of course Cryptopsy, Behemoth, Nile, and Decapitated are very good also.