On spamming.

U[Sic]M

Nov 26, 2002
Visit site
Well, since I am a first-time poster (of sorts), i.e. what Misanthrope called a newbie, I felt I had to adress the age old subject of spamming. It would seem forums have their own conception of what constitutes spam, and as I´m new here I really don´t know what you, the esteemed senior posters, would call spam. Therefore I´d like to give some type-cases of potential spam.

Okay, for instance, if I was to pose an inquiry about, let´say Mikael Stanne´s (singer and former guitarist of Dark Tranquillity) hairlength (and yes, I´m talking about the hair on his head, so don´t get any funny ideas:p ). I mean, that would certainly pass for a bandrelated subject (however morbid, weird, irrelevant etc etc it may seem;) ), but would it be considered spam? Maybe a pimply-faced youngster who has just discovered Dark Tranquillity and thinks they are the bestest band in the world, and consequently must know _everything_ about them, would think that a highly relevant question.

And, for a non-bandrelated instance, what if I posted a thread with the subject "Swedish Apeboy", and the accompanying text going something like "Hey! Yo, homeboyiii, why are you called Swedish Apeboy?". It surely pertains to someone on this board (or so I´ve heard) and isn´t a topic of the sort "Dark Tranquillity are the best band in the world!" (which is stating the obvious really...well, next to some other band perhaps;) ).

Well, I am aware of the potential spam-factor of this thread (as I´m sure I will be told a few times as replies:D ), but seeing as I couldn´t find any other thread taking this subject to the forefront, I felt it best to just blurt it out. After all, if one does not ask, one does not get any answers.;)

*Meep* Well, what counts as spam is something that has little relevance to anything or is not really suitable to conversation.

Examples are: advertising--this could be put in your signature if you wish for people to pay attention to it. On boards like this (slow-moving) it really messes up the board.

another is just pointless topics such as "Are they worms or bats?" since this is a small point for discussion and will just clog up the board.

Another is restating something which has already been posted.

Calling out another board member is also spam, as it doesn't interest others and the board member can be reached by PM here.

I think the worst is calling someone out to start a personal confrontation with them. :p

Well, that's about all I can think of.

Oh yes, if they kill U[Sic]M, could I have the corpse? :p
<---resident necrophile j/k

@mousewings:
Don´t screw the corpse too quickly, let it cool down first.. (if U[Sic]M dies in Misanthrophia)
And send me with mail some pieces of his/her/its arm.. I want to taste flesh. But don´t tell to cops, they could take me away or behind.

NP: Horna - Kun synkkä ikuisuus avautuu

Originally posted by mousewings
Oh yes, if they kill U[Sic]M, could I have the corpse? :p
<---resident necrophile j/k

You should know, the aftertaste of me is bitter. Season richly with oregano and sage, though - that should do the trick.:)

I'm not the one that's going to consume you...

Hmm... is U[Sic]M a guy or a girl? Where is he or she from? The things we will never know...

I've eaten spam.... it's not too bad. If they kill you, can I have your sister... (providing she is over 18?) if not, maybe your computer will suffice. :lol

icon_spammer.gif