If DT should do a cover...

rahvin said:
i think - and i suggested so to them recently - that they would do great cover versions of old testament songs, particularly disciples of the watch, trial by fire or envy life.
Trial by Fire has been done by Blind Guardian, if I am not mistaken. Did you hear it?

OK, I fugured out that this Dream Theater Song really is called "The ytse Jam", and it's included in their first album "When Dream and Day unite" from 1989... That means, the song Villain was talking about can be on every dark tranquillity album or even on the Demo or EP...

Regarding that I don't know much material of Dream Theater, could you help me with the song?!? I think it can be found on an album/EP up to The Mind's I, but probably already earlier, right?

Delirious: Street Spirit could become a great DT-cover - it is the only Radiohead song I really like and I believe it would be even better with DT-treatment. I don't know anything concerning how the band feels about this idea, though.

Schwedentod said:
OK, I fugured out that this Dream Theater Song really is called "The ytse Jam", and it's included in their first album "When Dream and Day unite" from 1989... That means, the song Villain was talking about can be on every dark tranquillity album or even on the Demo or EP...

Regarding that I don't know much material of Dream Theater, could you help me with the song?!? I think it can be found on an album/EP up to The Mind's I, but probably already earlier, right?
Yep. To give you another hint, it is perhaps the most renowned DT-song. And if you just listen to The Ytse Jam once, you will notice the similarity quite easily, although it is only a rather short part.

-Villain

Just found a Midi-File on the official Dream Theater Page and it sounds like... Punish my Heaven. Funny because somehow I thought it would be that song! Also funny because some time ago I found a page on the web where someone was really fanatic about PmH and wrote something like "only the Intro is that complex, with + add some musician's expressions here + that I could write many pages to analyze it. And the rest of the song has even more + add even more expressions +..."!

Here you can find the file: http://www.dream-theater.com/midi/ytse.mid

Villain said:
Delirious: Street Spirit could become a great DT-cover - it is the only Radiohead song I really like and I believe it would be even better with DT-treatment. I don't know anything concerning how the band feels about this idea, though.
well, the thing is, it´s actually the band´s idea.
it seems they felt pretty much like this about it...

http://www.dark-tranquillity.nl/disturb%20mag%201999.htm

"We did Metallica and Maiden in Japan, that was good; our next cover will be "Street spirit" by Radiohead, we are working on it. I like doing covers, and we will do more, for sure."

i must say that the band's opinion about cover songs is a bit different nowadays. while they sure like to do covers, they're very often busy rehearsing new songs and practicing the older ones for live settings, plus it doesn't seem that interesting to come out with an avalanche of covers. a new one is however a real possibility at the moment. yet i'm inclined to assume we should think more thrashy, less extravagant.

this might not be a very creative idea but it would be interesting to hear how Stand Abaze (Inflames) would sound if dt played it.

further suggestions :
Nights Blood from Dissection
For whom the bell tolls from metallica, the whole intro of this song and especially the part at 1:17 - 1:45 min would sound cool with some melodic-death riffing.
in general, i think old metallica songs would fit very good 'cause they all have a lot of melody which could be adapted to sound "gothenburg-ish" and btw we all like old metallica and dt so it would be a perfect symbiosis.

Maybe Towards eternity by Oldmans Child?

I dont know DT's stance on black metal but The keyboard parts in the opening would be ace. The riffs are really ace too. It just isnt well enough recognised.

They did A cover of A metallica song... was it My Friend Of Misery?

Bury Me an angel by arch enemy... That could be potentially amazing!!!!

yes, you're right they did this metallica cover. although i like both versions very much (metallica's and dt's) i would prefer to hear covers of the old metallica songs.

I'd like to hear them do something completely different, like maybe Mike Oldfield's 'Shadow on the Wall', 'Moonlight Shadow' or 'Heaven's Open', or even some of David Bowie's old stuff. For a grin, I'd love to see them tackle Nirvana's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', with obligatory video :D

Powermetal please!
Covering a band who origanally covered DT while they were just starting would make world go insane.

I'm actually really drunk, but hownabout covering some Finntroll stuff... it would be at least swedish...

By the way, look at my results in Minsy (Modular Intranet System); http://wirtschaft.fh-trier.de/verwaltung/ergebnisse.phtml?kf=Minsy+(WPF)&kd=15.03.2004&d=040315_minsy&p=1&po=neu

Really bad, isn't it... my number is 932.451.... so now you can look up all my other results... maybe you'll find them interesting...