One amp per side, or same amp?

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
What do you prefer when you track/mix guitars?
Do you prefer using different amps for each side or same amp for left and right?
Personally I've always prefered to have the same amp left and right (more consistent) but sometime some band want to use different amps for left and right, and I think that some big production was made in this way..
What do you think?

i have no preference either way
whatever the song calls for generally.

one amp both left and right, and if i have another amp, then the same again but blended quieter!! a different amp per side just messes things up i find, as the rate of distortion occurs at different times with each amp (my explination) just my preference!!!

I don't know, I don't see myself experienced enough to go with 2 totally different amps on different sides. Doing that probably requires you to know what the fuck you're doing, otherwise you'll fuck up the balance in the mix. Gotta get the amount of distortion equal, and balance the frequency spectrum equally... well fucking good luck with that if you're a fucking noob like me!

Haha, and this is how I get when I have had a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiig fucking head ache folks. Sorry 'bout that, but atleast the head ache is almost over... about fucking time.

I think the same....2 different head, 1 each side, are difficult to manage....2 amps sound different, act different, have different levels, etc...I think it's way better a single amp Left and Right and a second amp blended eventually.

ps
Hey... Eklan, you live near Hedestad (Man som hatar kvinnor) :D

I haven't used different amps but on a recent project I worked with two different distorsions (one side was the amp's distorsion, the other side was a big muff with the amp on clean) and turned out pretty good, although it did turn out kind of unbalanced, hard to get that right. so yeah do like Jonesy said, sounds like that could work well (of course, that's just quadtracking)

well id use if for quad tracking, or id just send the same L and R DIs to get reamped through a different amp, as that way you can at least have control of the blend in each side. but the amount of signal between the amps blended on each side, will be the same, so no issues with it sounding weird from the L to R side, if that makes any sense :lol:

I thought that if you have the same signal panned hard L and R, then the end result is the same as one signal panned centre. Am I missing something or is everyone applying different settings (EQ/gain etc.) to each side?

Everything ive done so far with 2 amps has been 1 on the right one on the left. Will try the otherway in future, might make things easier.

I prefer to track L/R guitars with the same amp. If there are two guitarists and they are worried about having their own sound I tell them that they have subtle differences in their playing that will make them sound different. When you track with two different amps panned L/R I feel it's much more difficult to achieve a natural balance.

I thought that if you have the same signal panned hard L and R, then the end result is the same as one signal panned centre. Am I missing something or is everyone applying different settings (EQ/gain etc.) to each side?

yeah that would happen if it was the exact digital copy of a signal, but I think we're talking about recording the guitars twice, but with the same signal chain. IT will be "humanly" different tracks so it will not be the exact same track.

btw if you have the same guitar track copy-pasted L/R the one signal panned to center issue can easily be fixed by moving one of the tracks a few ms out of sync with the other, that way it doesn't add up to center, each guitar sounds slightly different and stays in his side

Some amps combine very well for L+R

I have tried L= Dual Rec + R=DC5
and it works great

I have tried the same amp on both sides but with different guitars, it is nice too.

I think it is important considering wich valves uses each amp.
never Mixing 6l6's amp with L34 amp, it definetly DOESN'T work for me

By the way, arrangement and solos it is good to break out with a different amp than rythm gtrs

Hey guys a question probably answered before so I don't want to make a new thread about it. If I record two DI guitar tracks, can I duplicate each and amp-sim them differently so I have 4 giutar tracks for quad-tracking? is it cool given the fact it would be identical performances, but put through different amps?
Im saying record G1 and G2, give them both the same amp-sim, but then duplicate the DI tracks and give them both another amp-sim/tone, So I'd have
G1 amp 1 L 100
G1 amp 2 L 75 -3db (+or-)
G2 amp 2 R 75 -3db
G2 amp 1 R 100

Blending diferrent sounds is part of the idea, but what I really want is the fuller effect of quadtracking. It won't work well for that? would I have to record all 4 tracks? or can delaying the dulpicated Di track do the effect a bit more convincing? quadtracking would be really painful for the guitarrist who's doing it (he's good and tight, but it's only one guy), but if it's the only way to go I'm gonna have to push him to do it. Things is it's my own project and he ain't charging me for recording those guitars so I can't really force him to if he doesn't want to