One by Metallica - What key?

Ammeter

Hardcore Axeman
Mar 3, 2004
www.pcsoftware.co.nz
What key is 'One' in when it gets to the triplet distorted part? (approx 4:17 or later from album) I can tell it's in B Aeolian until then, but I would like my band to improvise the final solo..
Thanks a lot,
Ryan.

Are you sure? what type of minor.. aeolian is natural minor. Does it actualy change? They seem to use an F5 chord before it gets there which isnt in B minor, then the solo has like C and C# which confuses me.

I'm not an advanced music theorist, so the best I can say is yeah, the solo before the distortion goes like C... something/A minor... then it shifts to E for the distortion and that F5 you noted might be the transition from B to the rest of it. Maybe you could find some tabs or sheet music that will help. I'd listen but I lost my And Justice For All CD :(

According the And Justice For All songbook, the first half of the song (up until "Oh please god help me") is in D. The second half is in G. :err:

Did you want to know the key to figure out the lead? It's actually quite easy. I could scan it for you out of the book and email it to you if you want.

for the most part... its in Em... GM (which is basicly the same thing.. lol) .. theres a D Augmented 5th scale.. i'm not sure what its called.. Am 13th Arpeggio .... not sure what thats called either.. but for the most part.. its mainly Em.. nothing special.. hope that helps.. i'm not a big theory buff.. but i like to understand a bit about what i play and what others play..

Ammeter said:
Are you sure? what type of minor.. aeolian is natural minor. Does it actualy change? They seem to use an F5 chord before it gets there which isnt in B minor, then the solo has like C and C# which confuses me.
That end bit is E phrygian.

Most Cliff-era Metallica is E aeolian and Jason-era tends towards E phrygian. It's not all that important though, since Metallica's songs, and most other non-trivial works, often use notes outside the predominant key. Hence the random C# here and there as you've seen, not to mention tritones throughout Metallica's work.