One Fuck Off Fish

Spruce Goose

Then Goose me up woman!
Apr 17, 2001
Sydney
scholar.uws.edu.au~13326874
A local fishing guide catches potential world record Hammerhead shark : 14 1/2 ft (4.4m) 1260 lb (571.5kg)

I saw this on CNN late a few nights ago, but didn't know it was here...This happened in Boca Grande pass which is the Tarpon fishing hotspot. For those that don't know, a Tarpon is related to herring. Only it's a herring that grows to over 8ft long and 200+lbs. World famous for a tough fight and incredible aerial acrobatics when hooked. During spring and summer large numbers gather in inshore waters such as inlets and passes to spawn. Consequently, large numbers of big-ass Hammerhead and Bull sharks gather to eat the tarpon. The tarpon fishermen are plagued by sharks ripping their catches to shreds, getting an easy meal of a fish exhausted after a 1 or 2 hour fight with an angler. So this guy, apparently determined to catch a record fish of some type, decides this year to target some of the enormous hammerheads that are a daily scene this time of year in the pass. He spots a big one and a couple of Bulls chasing a hooked tarpon. The fisherman manages to get the fish away from the sharks and this dude, Bucky Dennis, chucks a hooked stingray in the shark's direction, and the hammerhead takes it. Over the next 5 hours, the shark drags his 23 ft flats skiff several miles out into the Gulf of Mexico before finally succumbing. After several attempts to get the shark into the boat, it becomes obvious that doing so is likley to swamp them
s2.gif
, so they tie it alongside and motor in to port. Realizing that they likely had a record, finding certified scales was a must... one problem, no one's got scales that big. They end up loading the shark onto a boat trailer and having to get on the local causeway to use a truck scale
s10.gif
After the weighing and and measuring, the shark was donated to the Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium where it'll be dissected, studied, and possibly stuffed.

Don't believe me? :

The shark next to a boat observing the fight
hammerhead8_550x366.jpg

Trying to get the beast onboard
hammerhead4_550x366.jpg

loading the critter on a boat trailer
LOADING.jpg

hammerhead.jpg

big mouth
SHOWING.jpg

hammerhead9_550x366.jpg

Funny... after living in Sydney my whole life I only just went to the Sydney Aquarium for the first time yesterday and saw some fuck off fish.
The sharks there were massive.... and this bad boy is even bigger!

Amazing some of the things that swim below us when we are boating/skiing, swimming etc
s10.gif

Unfortunately when shit like this happens and dudes go for sharks as sport , the rest of us who like to fish for enjoyement and the odd catch get tagged with a bad reputation which really shits me .
Some people actually target sharks for fishing which is so stupid due to the fact that they have a high amount of mercury in them , fuck that , I'll be happy with a Snapper or Trout .
We sometimes wish that inbreds know a little better , but then againwe are never suprised by their sheer fucking stupidity , fuck em , it would have been more of a entertaining sport if their boat tilted more and flung the bastards in the water.

I don't think you guys will be much impreesed by the latest on this shark:

Eating for 56? Heavily pregnant shark surprises scientists

Friday, June 30, 2006 Posted: 1636 GMT (0036 HKT)

BOCA GRANDE, Florida (AP) -- The likely world-record hammerhead shark caught in May weighed 1,280 pounds because it was pregnant with 55 pups -- the most scientists have ever seen.

Scientists at Mote Marine Laboratory, where the shark was taken for a necropsy, said Thursday that 52 were nearly full-term and just a few days from birth. The shark was estimated to be between 40 and 50 years old.

Scientists previously believed that hammerhead sharks gave birth to 20 to 40 pups at a time.

"Although we are thankful that the fisherman gave this unique specimen to Mote, and we are learning a lot about this species from this large female shark, we were saddened to see so many unborn pups inside her so close to birth," said Dr. Robert Hueter, director of Mote's Center for Shark Research.

The shark was caught off Boca Grande on May 23.

Whether the 14.5-foot shark is a record catch on rod and reel is still being decided. The International Game Fish Association expects a decision in late July

that's fucked. Pretty interesting bit of knowledge they've picked up, but ugh, that sucks. :(