One-man-band fun

Torniojaws

They call me Juha
May 15, 2005
Espoo, Finland
www.vortechmusic.com
So, I was asked to play at a school May Day afterparty at a hotel, so who am I to turn it down? It's beside the point that I have one week to prepare all the backing tracks, learn the songs on guitar, learn the lyrics, and learn to play guitar & do vocals at the same time (all the vocalists I know are travelling :lol:).

But I think I'll do it :heh: So I now have recorded all the backing guitar & bass DI tracks (12 songs) in one day :lol: And next up I'll construct the songs + make all the electronic stuff. Not too shabby :lol:

Here's the planned setlist:

01. The Prodigy - Voodoo People
02. Clawfinger - Nothing Going On
03. The Cult - Rise
04. Pain - Zombie Slam
05. Clawfinger - Two Steps Away
06. The Sin.Decay - We Are All Slaves
07. Front Line Assembly - Internal Combustion
08. Steril - Egoist
09. Rob Zombie - Superbeast
10. Grendel - Harsh Generation
11. The Prodigy - Breathe
12. Front Line Assembly - Liquid Separation

Quite varied, as you can see :) But I guess since it's May Day, most of the folks will be happily drunk and not notice if I have to improvise something on the fly :lol:

This is something I've never done before, so it's quite exciting to say the least :headbang:

The setup will be the same as I use with Vortech:

Laptop running Reaper
-> Every song in a single project (just rendered wav's)
-> 2 + 7 outputs (two DI tracks, 7 backing tracks: drums, electronics etc)
-> RME Fireface 400
-> ADAT Out
-> Behringer ADA8000
-> 7 balanced line-outs to FOH (2 DIs go to guitar amp & bass amp)

Simple but effective :headbang:

And in addition to the backing tracks, I will be playing rhythm guitar and doing the vocals. But I've also had the idea to ask some people in the crowd to join in to do vocals for a song they might know. Kind of like live karaoke :lol:

Should be fun if it works :zombie:

But I think I'll do it :heh: So I now have recorded all the backing guitar & bass DI tracks (12 songs) in one day :lol: And next up I'll construct the songs + make all the electronic stuff. Not too shabby :lol:

Here's the planned setlist:

01. The Prodigy - Voodoo People
02. Clawfinger - Nothing Going On
03. The Cult - Rise
04. Pain - Zombie Slam
05. Clawfinger - Two Steps Away
06. The Sin.Decay - We Are All Slaves
07. Front Line Assembly - Internal Combustion
08. Steril - Egoist
09. Rob Zombie - Superbeast
10. Grendel - Harsh Generation
11. The Prodigy - Breathe
12. Front Line Assembly - Liquid Separation

Quite varied, as you can see :) But I guess since it's May Day, most of the folks will be happily drunk and not notice if I have to improvise something on the fly :lol:

Wow I'm honoured!

When you're done with the backing tracks, can I borrow those "Two steps.." samples? We're supposed to rehearse, and I couldn't find them, and they're sort of essential for the song ;).

When you're done with the backing tracks, can I borrow those "Two steps.." samples? We're supposed to rehearse, and I couldn't find them, and they're sort of essential for the song ;).

:loco:

Sure :)

This is a lot more work than I anticipated. I've been fiddling with Voodoo People all day and soon I'm finished :p 11 more to go :lol: And later today I'm off to Oulu to see Satyricon :p It's tricky to try to make the sounds close to the originals, or trying to sample things from the songs without too much background stuff.

Sounds cool, which synths did you use?

HALion 3 and Superior Drummer 2.0 (intro toms) for the drums
Nexus for the intro synth
Bass-Station for the bassline (with separate fx plugins)
Nexus for the chorus strings
Vanguard for the chorus arpeggios + C-part arpeggios
z3ta+ for C-part arpeggios

And the intro background is sampled from the original song. Since I was so short of time, I hadn't the time to take the samples from Hellraiser 3 myself.