One Stop Shopping!

I'm sure they could do it, given the technology that's already used in those things. But would you really want to? I mean, I'm having a field day just picturing this scene in my head.

I honestly can't wait until I can hook a computer into my brain, but you will never see me on a segway, unless I have Lt. Dan prosthetic titanium legs.

And it's not so much the penicillin that scares me; it's the creepy backwoods medicine man/witch doctor who prescribes the penicillin that scares me.

Robot legs would be sweet but if they were straight prosthetics, I might go with a segway, and what the fuck is that Jersey comment for?

Dude, just because something is faster doesn't necessarily make it better. When people start completely seperating themselves from the use of their own body, that is the day when we can kiss our world goodbye. One of the most important things we have as human beings is a physical connection to the world around us. You're a liberal and thus I would imagine are also an environmentalist like me. When the world has gotten to the point where everybody is so lazy that they ride a segway around everywhere, do you really think they are going to leave things as obsolete as say footpaths or woods intact. Can you really see somebody segwaying the Appalachian Trail? If our world actually does move in that direction we are going to turn even more into basically legless fat people who are so out of shape that it hurts them to walk from the couch to the fridge. Yeah, I think its a FANTASTIC idea to make machines that will do every basic, simple, natural job that all creatures have been doing since the beginning of time. JESUS! As if we weren't a lazy enough culture as it is!

The NJ comment was my attempt to explain why you weren't as technophobic as The Dope.

Segways are not going to contribute significantly to the end of Nature.

They do look a little funny at first, but when you see them enough that slips away. When spectacles were first invented, I'm POSITIVE they "looked stupid" to other people for a very long time, and not just because old-timey spectacles have no sense of style. But they were useful and cool technology and eventually people gave up their biases.

The problem is that I don't really see Segways as being useful to anywhere near the number of people who wear glasses. It seems sort of like a "look what we can do" type of product without a whole lot of appeal or relevence to the average consumer.

not AS useful, definitely not, but still an example of objectively cool technology which is threatened in its quest for popularly essentially by the subjective "it looks dumb" factor.

Not exactly. Being a tech-head I can tell you that some of the best ideas ever never pan out. IE: you have an i386-based PC and if the best architecture always win you'd have a RISC-based processor. NEXT-OS was probably the best thing ever, yet you have Windows. etc....