One thing I really respect about Mike...

Schraiber

Opeth fanboy
Feb 5, 2002
Hell
He's never felt the need to put cussing in his lyrics (At least to my knowledge..) It gives the band an air of respectablity, rather than all these bands that cuss for pure shock value...

Bands use swearing as a means of communicating feelings.

And if it is through these simple words that they need to use to convey thru LYRICS then pitty them.

Cussing should be used as "on the spot" language. If you know what i mean.

Lyrics should really be well thought out, indepth and meaningful, using a more substantial use of words to get across feelings of hatred etc.

Shit...hmm

:)

Depends on the music. I also think it's nice that he never put any swearing in. But if I'm listening to Dying Fetus or SYL or some other pissed-off extreme band.. it just seems to go with it.

Originally posted by Silentjohan
Katatonia's song "Deadhouse" contains a fuck and they were underground back then...

I don't think that one 'fuck' in a whole album constitutes as exorbitant 'cussing'.

yeah, i disslike it when bands use swear words in there songs, even though i love pantera i disslike phil anselmo's swearing in some of his songs.

yeah.. there's some respectable cussing out there.. sometimes it fits..

I wouldn't respect a band saying "I do what I want so fuckin' back off motha******"

but, Katatonia, for instance, have the line "too much fucking emo" which I think fits...

Originally posted by Static
Yeah when I heard a 'fuck' on the new Bloodbath this huge smile spread across my face.

It wuz kewl.

Is that at the end of So You Die? Cause I swear I hear him say "SO YOU FUCKING DIE!" at the end.

Originally posted by elm lateral
Bands use swearing as a means of communicating feelings.

And if it is through these simple words that they need to use to convey thru LYRICS then pitty them.

Cussing should be used as "on the spot" language. If you know what i mean.

Lyrics should really be well thought out, indepth and meaningful, using a more substantial use of words to get across feelings of hatred etc.

Shit...hmm

:)

I suppose cussing can be used for emphasis, but if someone has a halfway decent command of whatever language they're writting in, they'll find more eloquent ways to express their strong feelings.

Yeah man! :headbang:

Unlike stupid bastards who are like 'Fuck yall muthafucka!' and its just childish...with 'SO YOU FUCKING DIE!!' the swear word actually makes it sound alot more evil and brutal! :D

Ps. I like artists who use swear words not for shock value, but to display distaste. or anger or some other bad emotion. Artists who use swear words sparingly, at the right time, lose no respect in my eyes. Like Tool, and the swear words on Aenima, most of them are quite tastefully displayed and not gratuitious.

I don't have a problem with cussing when it's actually necessary, however, MANY mainstream artists use cussing to show how "rebellious" they are, and they overuse it in the lamest way possible.

"If I say fuck, two more times, that's 46 fucks in this fucked-up rhyme" is the second worst lyric I've ever heard, right behind Slipknot's "If you're 555 I'm 666, what's it like to be a heretic?"